• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Southern" Desserts

zilla369

Zilla - I live in north Florida - the southernmost part of the south :). Haven't been to Louisville recently - although I once met a fellow at a bar in Chicago who owned a bunch of restaurants there - and my husband's old neurologist is now head of neurology at the University of Kentucky teaching hospital.

Do people in Louisville demand trendy? If not - how about something just plain melt-in-your mouth good - like the best sweet potato pie? We have a potato and cabbage festival every spring here (bet you didn't know that we grow potatoes in Florida) - and it is hard for me to imagine any better dessert than the sweet potato pies the church ladies cook up. I have favorite sweet potato pie recipes if you're interested. Robyn

P.S. I happen to love poached pears although they are not particularly southern. For the holidays - I make a gingerbread cake with poached pears and cinnamon cream. You might do it as a holiday variation on the poached pear cake you're doing now. Robyn

230 covers tonight. I sold (and made and plated) 112 desserts. 48.69% dessert penetration.

i RULE! :cool:

Congrats!!!! Sounds like your hard work is really paying off. That has got feel really good.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe