• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Southern" Desserts

zilla369

The brownie is killer, want the recipe?

Brian: I would love it!

Two reviews came out today: Louisville Courier-Journal, 3.5 stars, and Robin Garr's Louisville Hot Bytes, 4 stars, 90 out of a possible 100.

Since both these reviews were published today, we were slammed, with 201 covers. I sold 89 desserts, or 45% dessert penetration. What's the norm in fine dining? Naturally, i'll shoot for higher, but i was curious what a normal average is.

Marsha,

I don't know the actual stats but I've thought the actual percentage was much lower. If I had to guess I'd say 25 to 33%. I am sure someone on the board will post the correct ratio/statistics.

I think a number like 45% is fantastic! That means that almost 1 out of 2 people in the restaurant are ordering your desserts. That rocks!

And that means successful desserts, thanks to your hard work.

P.S. Both reviews liked your desserts. Again, that rocks!

edited to add P.S. and punctuation

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Marsha,

I don't know the actual stats but I've thought the actual percentage was much lower.  If I had to guess I'd say 25 to 33%.  I am sure someone on the board will post the correct ratio statistics.

I think a number like 45% is fantastic!  That means that almost 1 out of 2 people in the restaurant are ordering your desserts.  That rocks! 

And that means successful desserts, thanks to your hard work.

Thank you, Toliver! I adopted an aggressive dessert-sales strategy.

Even though we were unbelievably busy (remember, there's only five of us in the kitchen), i made it a point to be sweet and accomodating (which is hard, sometimes!). I also spoke to all the captains pre-shift and made a pitch for selling more desserts ("you know, with desserts priced at about $6, that's an extra $5 tip for every four-top!"). I gave away several mini-portions to the servers. One server asked for a chocolate-covered strawberry, and i made him one right away. I gave all the servers chocolate truffles. I told them they could "create-their-own" dessert trio for their guests. I offered to spike their personal lemonades with berry sauce - that was popular.

The only bad spot was at the very end of the night. The last table ordered desserts to go, then hung around for another 45 minutes. One lady opened her to-go bread pudding (this is a dessert that's supposed to be served warm, with sorghum creme fraiche and sorghum sauce). She told the bartender it looked "pathetic." Of course, it did - after spending 45 minutes in a styrofoam clamshell. Naturally, i made her a new one.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

It looks like your agressive selling strategy worked like a charm. The bribes of truffles and berry sauce for the staff were ingenious and obviously worked, too. Also, remember that many of the diners probably had coffee or possible even brandy with their desserts which means more dollars in the till, too, thanks to your desserts.

And don't worry about the idiot woman who whined about her "pathetic" dessert at the end of the night. You turned it into a "plus" which will go far in terms of good will, good karma and, possibly, good word of mouth to her friends.

This is just a thought, but would it possible, in regards to the bread pudding to go, to put the creme fraiche in its own container? Then it won't "melt" on the hot bread pudding and look "pathetic" for future idiots.

Again, congratulations!

Tim Oliver

And don't worry about the idiot woman who whined about her "pathetic" dessert at the end of the night.  You turned it into a "plus" which will go far in terms of good will, good karma and, possibly, good word of mouth to her friends. 

This is just a thought, but would it possible, in regards to the bread pudding to go, to put the creme fraiche in its own container?  Then it won't "melt" on the hot bread pudding and look "pathetic" for future idiots.

This is along the lines of what i was thinking. Probably nobody could get home fast enough for this to be a good dessert on the sofa.

I think i will provide both sauces in a separate container AND possibly print some little cards with reheating instructions for the hot desserts, and just skip heating them to go altogether.

How would y'all feel about getting a to-go dessert with reheating instructions?

Edited, for daylight savings-time spelling.

Edited by zilla369 (log)

I think i will provide both sauces in a separate container AND possibly print some little cards with reheating instructions for the hot desserts, and just skip heating them to go altogether.

Wow, instructions taped to the to-go container would be very helpful and sounds like something above and beyond the call of duty. On the other hand, it would be a classy touch that would be memorable and might contribute to good will. Good will, in turn, could translate into return visits.

That's one of the problems with "to go" desserts...you never know if they're going to be eaten right away in the car or in an hour when the customer gets home which is when reheating instructions would come in handy.

And if your restaurant can afford seperate take-out containers for your sauces, whipped creams, etc., then go for it. It makes sense.

Tim Oliver

zilla, a quick comment from a dessert lover but fairly small eater. I think you may be getting a higher % than you think. My wife and I almost always share dessert after a dining out meal because we do not want to get so full we dont enjoy the experience. Your desserts sound great and the experience you are having should pay great benefits as your career goes forward. Thanks for sharing.

colestove

You might also want to consider warning guests of getting hot desserts as take out. When I went to Frontera Grill, I wanted to get the mole to take back to Winnipeg (in my family, we bring food as souvenirs). The waiter told me that he would do it for me, though the owner didn't like to serve the food as take-out food because it should be eaten as soon as possible in order to preserve its quality. I was impressed.

Otherwise, I think your idea of separate containers for sauces and reheating instructions is excellent. It shows that you care about how your desserts are served. Of course, the waitstaff would need to explain the need for reheating to the customer when it's ordered, since s/he may not care to go through the trouble of doing it (and would thus order something else).

Zilla,

45% is very good! :smile: ( especially for a new restaurant ) If the percentages stay in that area with that many covers, I would definitely being sitting down with whoever I would need to to see exactly where the pastry program is going. I believe an increase in salary should be your first topic of discussion ( more desserts sold = more profit, which should = more $ for you )

Good luck,

Mckay ( JASON McCARTHY )

Just wondering if you had a chance to try the upside down pie shell technique yet?

yes! It works great, about 85% of the time, which is fantastic. The other 15% of the time, the pie shells crack and are not viable. But i'm not so sure that's the fault of the technique. It's possible that that's my fault for putting them in the oven too soon or too late.

Still, when it works, it works great. Thanks, Wendy!

Oh my goodness my mouth is watering. Everything sounds amazing. Diners at your restaurant have a very dificult decision. What fun!

I love the truffle idea instead of the biscotti. Are you going to serve them at the Bat Mitzvah. I would seriously consider it. This is the kind of touch guests will remember.

If I were dining at your restaurant for Thanksgiving I would order the sampler in a second if it included something chocolate.

As for the clafouti, given the description you wrote I wouldn't order it when everything else sounds so good. Do you have a desert plate the servers bring around? A visual might help. Also, keep in mind that while servers can't remember long sentences, diners can't sustain their focus!

Sounds like you are doing an amazing job in an area that you did not plan on working in but have a talent for.

You know that is illegal; you must be paid for all the time you work. Your restaurant could be liable (fined, and forced to pay all back wages). Be very careful- plus, don't give away your labor!

I can think of numerous profdessions where people work more hours than they are paid for. I am impressed by Zilla's commitment to her job.

Finally, I would love reheating instructions, not just for dessert but the whole meal as well. As someone with a small appetite I tend to take home leftovers often. Reheating can be an artform, and suggestions would be great. I think it says something about your caring nature to think of this.

I am enjoying following your adventure!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I didn't read all three pages of replies to this message, so i apologize if i repeat anything anyone else has already mentioned.

I have been working as a pastry chef along side Karen Barker for the past five years at Magnolia Grill. I'm not a true southerener, but have fallen in love with the style and sensibility of southern food and especially sweets. The desserts you listed all sounded great, and i thought that i might be of some help with how a pastry chef goes through the creative process when designing a dessert menu.

First and foremost, always go seasonal. You don't want to use peaches or berries in November, most diners tend to naturally eat seasonally anyway. Berry desserts are craved in the summer cause it's hot and you want something light. In the cooler months you have more freedom loading them up with heavy custards and layered cakes.

Try to make each dessert unique in flavor and texture from eachother. For example you don't want to have a sorghum custard and serve a maple ice cream on another dessert. This is hard to do, but you'll have a more well balanced menu in the end.

Make texture and temperature as integral a part of each plate as flavor. Also keep in mind how important acid is needed to balance very rich components, i.e., we have done an apple cider vinegar ice cream with an applesauce cake.

Don't put anything unnecessary on your plate, like a ubiquitous mint sprig or cocoa sprinkle. Make your desserts beautiful, and you won't need to embelish.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

For those of you who don't know this already, Karen Barker was the recipient of the Beard Award for pastry chefs this past year. Before she finally won, she had been nominated numerous times, which led me to refer to her as the Susan Lucci of pastry chefs. She, and thus phlawless, make very solid desserts that often rely on southern simplicity. I need to invite phlawless over to dinner soon! :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

One of my favorite "southern" desserts is a white chocolate bread pudding served at Palace Cafe in New Orleans. In my opinion, the best bread pudding I have ever had.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/dessert/wch...c-breadpud.html

I'm planning to go back there next week just so I can have this dessert. :laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I hear that bread pudding is really awesome if you reheat it in a toaster bag.

Yes, it probably is. You want I bring the bags to New Orleans and try it?

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

One of my favorite "southern" desserts is a white chocolate bread pudding served at Palace Cafe in New Orleans. In my opinion, the best bread pudding I have ever had.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/dessert/wch...c-breadpud.html

I'm planning to go back there next week just so I can have this dessert. :laugh:

Ahh yes, but your opinion may change after lunch at Commander's. They will ask you at the beginning of your meal if anyone will be ordering Bread Pudding Soufflee for dessert?.....just say YES PLEASE! It is without peer in the "redoing of a classic dessert" catagory. They ask ahead because it is made to order and takes a while for it to rise to all of it's rich, caloric goodness.

And incidentally, in response to another thread that I have resisted responding to because of a fear of over caffeinnated respondants :smile: , the coffee at Commander's, as with most decent New Orleans restaurants is very good (it is also very strong, it is not bad form to ask for a little hot water if you don't like it that way. many people ask)

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

You gotta love the Brennans.

We're definitely planning on going to Commanders for lunch. But I like the new vibe of Palace Cafe. Besides, its the only place on this planet I've been able to get a Bloody Bull.

MAN!!!

That thing is the shit!

Yeah, its pretty cool. I wonder what a real pastry chef could do with one.

230 covers tonight. I sold (and made and plated) 112 desserts. 48.69% dessert penetration.

i RULE! :cool: