• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Paso - ANOTHER Grocery/Taco Stand

Rachel Perlow

Jason and I went to dinner at Saigon Republic in Englewood tonight. We parked just up the street in front of this new store. A family party was just breaking up as we arrived, they had been having a "set up the store" party and the grand opening is tomorrow. After dinner we noticed a few people still inside so we stopped in to say hello and check it out. The grocery part is not huge, but a nice selection including souvenier trinkets from Puebla, all along one wall of the store. The rest is cold case & counter for prepared food. Soon there will be a few tables between the service area and the soda fridges in back, but they were not in evidence tonight. Jason got to sample the kick ass mole sauce that Jesus, the cook/owner (who formerly worked at Chez Dominique in Bergenfield), had served earlier at the party. We also learned they will be soon selling tacos, tortas, taquitos, etc. Saturday is their Grand Opening at Noon, featuring Free Tamales!

El Paso Mexican Grocery and Deli

46 West Palisade Avenue

Englewood, NJ 07631

201-567-3201

I would like to emphasize for the record that their mole sauce is KICK ASS and it took them like a whole day to cook it. Jesus and the lady in there with him (presumably his wife or his sister) also speak perfect english so don't be afraid of going in there and asking them about anything.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

yay.  how would you rate the mole against el gran mexicano's?

No comparison. Way better.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 3 weeks later...

I've forgotten to post that I've had the Tamales here. Good. No, really really good. There are several varieties. I've had ones with mole and chicken inside, and at least one other variety with cheese and peppers.

Good for a quick stop if you are shopping in Englewood.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 2 months later...
Good for a quick stop if you are shopping in Englewood.

I'll have to make it a long stop; I hope it's open tomorrow. I'd kill for some good Mexican right now.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

• 3 weeks later...

went here this weekend after shopping at Jerry's. much to my distress, they weren't really serving much food--just soup and one type of torta---goat meat--which i did get and which was really fine. i'll try again next time i go to Jerry's...

MAy stop over there tomorrow-have to do a Victoria's Secret run. Jason, have they got anything good for someone low carbing it?

I dunno, but you just sent me into a daze thinking about you in see-thru lingerie.

MAy stop over there tomorrow-have to do a Victoria's Secret run.  Jason, have they got anything good for someone low carbing it?

I dunno, but you just sent me into a daze thinking about you in see-thru lingerie.

:biggrin: Pleased to entertain you, my dear

• 4 months later...

David Russo's recent inquiry reminded me that I've been back here recently and didn't post about it. I had a perfectly lovely Torta here the night that Saigon Republic had that fire. As I think Jason may have pointed out somewhere, it does indeed appear like they swiped the excellent grill-man from the Mi Pueblo grocery store in Bergenfield.

yay.  how would you rate the mole against el gran mexicano's?

No comparison. Way better.

I also have to point out that they SELL the Mole, and I bought some. I've been doling it out for weeks--it reconstitutes with chicken broth.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I didn't know they sold their in-house mole, I've only had it in their tamales. I'll have to pick some up.

Well it's in a plastic 15 oz. container, with "La Poblanita" across a green, white and red label. It's made in Passaic by:

La Poblanita Inc.

353 Passaic Street

Passaic, NJ 07055

Ph.: 973-472-0224

So it doesn't seem to be made right in that store, but it's a relatively local product and from the looks of it, not mass produced.

The ingredients, in order are:

Chile Mulato, Chile Pasilla, Chile Ancho, Chocolate, Azucar, Sugar Cane, Canela, Cinnamon, Ajonjolie, Sesame Seeds, Almendras, Almonds, Manteca, Vegetable Shortening, Semilla De Cilantro, Cilantro Seeds, Spices and Natural Flavorings.

Plus the instructions to reconstitute with Chicken Broth (obviously a nice stock works better than crappy bouillon).

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 2 years later...

<<Bump!>>

(FWIW- they still carry the mole poblano jhlurie mentioned in the last post .)

Anyhoo- recently I've started working in Englewood, and have taken advantage of that fact to enjoy the fine offerings of El Paso for lunch a couple of times each week.

Favorites so far are the chorizo and egg torta, even though the chorizo is not as good as La Batalla's. But still- the combination of things on that sandwich make for an amazing $5 experience.

And when in the mood for a splurge: overkill thy name is Alambres. Last week I noticed this being prepared for a bunch of other customers, and it immediately made me wish I'd changed my order. Essentially it's a meat-lovers combo plate with the kitchen sink added, served with six tortillas to scoop it all up. Let's see...there's chorizo, beef and bacon (!!), lots of onions and peppers, all cooked on the flat top, a few handfuls of shredded white cheese (queso blanco? it is pretty mild whatever it is) are added and melted in, and then slices of avocado go on top. Pickled jalapenos and carrots are there for the taking if you like. It's big and it's rich and it made me miss dinner last night because I was still full. Duuuude...this is the stuff! If I only had a beer to wash it all down with :wink:

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

• 2 weeks later...

Btw...

La Poblanita, Inc. is no longer at address in prior post; now little further down street at 80 Market St. (same number tho'; nice folks) & still selling their great mole'!

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...