• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Jersey's Latino Visitors Guide

hillbill

I just received a nice, very colorful brochure from the NJ Tourism Dept. titled "New Jersey's Latino Visitor Guide." It's got a bunch of information about foods and restaurants, discussing both specific cuisines and various neighborhoods. It list a few restaurants for each type of cuisine with addresses and phone numbers, and has information about shopping districts where products can be purchased. It's also got information about culture, events, history, etc.

Free copies are available from 1-800-VISIT-NJ ext. 3506 or online at:

New Jersey Publications

There's also a PDF version of the brochure at this address. Note: The PDF version online is an older version with very little information about food.

In addition, they are offering "Asian American Tour Guide to Fun & Attractions" and "African American Tour Guide to Fun & Attractions" among other things. I also ordered both of these, but I didn't receive them.

Edited by hillbill (log)
Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

http://www.state.nj.us/travel/pdf_files/Latino.pdf

Unfortunately its not a very good guide as far as food is concerned. Doesn't have anything like a list of restaurants by ethnicity or anything like that. Not to mention that their primary suggested source for online information about NJ restaurants is Zagat. POR FAVOR!!!!!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

http://www.state.nj.us/travel/pdf_files/Latino.pdf

Unfortunately its not a very good guide as far as food is concerned. Doesn't have anything like a list of restaurants by ethnicity or anything like that. Not to mention that primary suggested source for online information about NJ restaurants is Zagat. POR FAVOR!!!!!

I just took a look at the PDF version and the restaurant section is completely different from the print version that I have. My copy must be a newer version because this section has been considerably improved and expanded, from one page to five.

Rather than "Choice of Cuisine," it is titled "Eating Latino." After an introductory segment, there are separate segments for the following cuisines: Mexico and Central America (El Salvador, Guatemala); El Caribe (Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico); Spain; The Andes (Columbia, Peru, Ecuador); and the Southern Cone (Argentina, Chile, Uruguay.)

I can't attest to the quality of the listings, but there are a few restaurants listed in each section for each cuisine. There are also a number of photos of various foods and there are a few more sources listed for online info, but they're probably no better than the two you mentioned.

The back of the book, "Inteneraries" has been modified also, although I don't know if the information is actually changed. Along with sections about the various communities that have Latino populations, the information about shopping has been combined into one multi-page sidebar called "Shopping Latino" that mentions a number of shopping districts to purchase foodstuffs and other items.

Note: The copyright of the PDF version is 2001 and the print version now available is copyright 2003.

Edited by hillbill (log)
Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

• 1 year later...

My wife's Cuban, and whenever her grandfather comes up from Cuba, ir, Miami, we go to this place. As a gringo, I'm told this is authentic, and I believe it.

I decided to only order things I have never seen on any menu. I started with the garlic soup. I haven't seen any vampires in a long time. The roasted garlic was in a tasty broth, with a poached egg smack in the middle. For my entree, I followed suit with the in-laws and had the stewed ox tail. The meat fell off the bone. I wouldn't have ordered it otherwise, but I'm glad I did. Reminded me a bit of a mini shank.

The decor is 80's deco style. The white sangria is good. They also have middle of the road Spanish wines and latin beers.

Latin America

(201) 863-9280

4317 Bergenline Ave

Union City, NJ 07087

The North Bergan area has more Cubans than Havanah, or so I've heard. Please let me know where else you eG'ers have tried.

One place in that area where I used to go with an ex b.f. was Las Palmas. It was the first place where I saw bisteca and it was hanging off the plate! As I recall, their maduros were pretty awesome too. I think that might be where we ate some damn good "moros y christianos," too. Haven't been to Union City to eat in a few years, but I'm betting it's still open--you can't miss the giant green neon palm trees on the sign! It's right on Bergenline.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."