• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean BBQ anyone?

jschyun

mongo_jones, I must say, it is really nice to see your passion for Shik Do Rak. I really like that place, and if people aren't concerned about it not being particularly English friendly, then I would consider bringing the group to the OC branch. It's been hit or miss when I have brought non-Koreans there, and I don't think their panchan is all that great.

I like their freshly shaved Black Angus beef, although it has a tendency to overcook in my hands. Also, they have pork belly (I think) and trying to wrap your little rice roll into something that won't fall apart before it hits your mouth, is always fun.

I'll try to go to Soot Bull before Sat and then we'll decide for sure.

Well, it's the final week before the actual event. Stay tuned!

you should ignore everything i say since i no longer live in l.a and will likely never make these events--though coincidentally i will be at the vermont/hoover shik do rak while you guys got to either soot bull jeep or chosun. i am sorry if i am causing trouble or complicating matters. my participating in this thread is a way of retaining my recently severed ties to l.a. i'm sorry i didn't discover egullet till i left.

on the whole though i don't care a whole lot about ambience. the best indian food in los angeles is in some pretty downmarket locations (frequented predominantly by south asians); ditto for chinese food in the san gabriel valley. korean places are a little more forbidding for non-native speakers but since my wife is korean we don't have any trouble with the staff: though some of the older patrons do look at me funny (i'm not only non-korean but brown)--but they almost always lose their suspicious demeanours when they see me eat. at the l.a shik do rak i was once next to an old grandma (at one of their long tables where you're sometimes forced into communal eating) who stared at me with equal parts wonder and hostility till she saw me chomp into a huge hunk of kim-chi, upon which her face melted into a huge smile.

but yes, if ambience is important chosun galbi, dong il jiang or even that place manna (on olympic at the west end of koreatown) would be optimal.

hehe, relax mongo_jones. you are among friends here. We'll figure out where to go eventually. :biggrin:

--yeah, kimchi is the test. If you eat it, you must be okay... hehe

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I'm in Laguna Hills, so I think I'm the furthest south. I do hope that my DH and I can make one of these events. This time of year is just too busy to attempt a trip to LA or thereabouts, though.

I'll keep reading and when we can make something, we'll jump in!!

Deb

Liberty, MO

It's the 13th because I'm coordinating and I can't make the 14th.

What do you guys think about a lunch outing? I'm thinking about parking and such.

I'm going to go to Soot bull definitely this week. If I remember correctly, I think you guys might like that place.

--NeroW

Unfortunately, if it were lunch, I'd have to bow out. I have an annual family party in the mid-day. I'm hoping it stays dinner, but do what you must. There will be other bulgogi and galbi moments for me if I should miss this one.

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

So maybe dinner? Looks like I might be able to come along and bring my husband, just need to figure when we need a babysitter :-).

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Yeah, sounds like dinner.

Also, it sounds like if we are going to include as many people as possible, Shik Do Rak sounds like the frontrunner choice, because it's at a halfway point. It's good to see some OC people in here! But I'm still going to Soot Bull House tonight.

I tend to eat earlier, say, 6pm, but what do you guys prefer? Parking is usually better earlier in the night.

So basically the plan is:

Sat, Dec 13th

Dinner

Time: to be determined

Place: Shik Do Rak (due to location), Chosun (due to being a good restaurant overall), Soot Bull Jeep (due to meat) There are some other good places, but we can branch out later.

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

Shik Do Rak

9691 Garden Grove Blvd (cross street Galway)

Garden Grove 92844

714-534-7668 (won't do you any good, they don't speak English)

It's right off the 22 freeway, between Brookhurst and Magnolia exits. Should be about a 20 minute drive for you.

--edited to get rid of wrong address for Shik Do Rak. I think I used the wrong, earlier version of the article.

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

Alright then, looks like we'll be going to the OC branch of Shik Do Rak for dinner this Saturday!

ErinB, perhaps FoodZealot might be able to carpool with you, as he is right in your area. Maybe you can ask him about it.

Actually, I just went there tonight, having decided against going to Soot Bull Jeep due to traffic and the fact that I had to be home in time to watch Charmed at 10pm. I've been there recently, but what the heck.

Actually, I said before that the panchan wasn't good but now that I have eaten it again and remember why I thought that, so I should explain. They make the oyster kimchi that I don't care for. Chosun makes the classic, old fashioned kimchi that I grew up on. Thus that style tastes better to me. There's so many different kinds of kimchi, there's something for everyone. Also, I think I just prefer the style of food that Chosun makes, although I always thought Shik Do Rak was really good in its own way.

Shik Do Rak's galbi is leagues above Chosun's, at least the version I got today. But normally, we never get galbi (beef short ribs) at Shik Do Rak, and neither does anyone else I know. We usually get thinly sliced angus beef and cook it over the gas grill, maybe some pork. We also get some chigae (uh, basically hot soup with stuff in it, eh bad explanation)

So here's the itinerary. Please let me know via pm or on this thread how many people you're bringing.

Saturday December 13th

Dinner 6pm

Shik Do Rak

People attending so far: Me (3), Maison Rustique (2), FoodZealot (1), ErinB (?), grandcru(?), tejon(?) anyone else?

Please note the address mentioned a couple posts back is INCORRECT. Apologies.

Shik Do Rak

Garden Grove 92844

714-534-7668 (won't do you any good, they don't speak English)

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

Alright it's set then. I'm making reservations for 10

Just as a reminder

Saturday December 13th

Dinner 6pm

Shik Do Rak

Garden Grove 92844

If you need directions, you can either go to www.mapquest.com or ask me. I will be happy to help you.

Shik Do Rak is visible from the street.

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

Hi,

I'm new to the board. I was reading this thread since I really like korean BBQ. Unfortunately I can't join you this Saturday but would love to know if another dinner will be planned in the future. Have fun this Saturday!

Most likely, yes.

We're planning a Thai dinner (well, more like all day marathon) soon, so if you're interested you can join that as well.

--NeroW