• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean BBQ anyone?

jschyun

I am up for it....There are several in the South Bay..Gardena has a bunch, I need a place to write about, Korean BBQ would do well as I have not done that type of food yet....when are you thinking...weekends and mondays are best...unless you want to do a lunch thing?

PS I am still waiting to hear from the BH cheese store about the tasting.

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

A Korean BBQ Place just opened here in my little NC town. I'm dying to try it...do any of you have any recommendations to offer? I have no idea what kind of items to even expect on the menu. :unsure:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Some of us are doing that dim sum thing in Rosemead on Oct 19, right?  Maybe we could schedule it around that.

Is that happening? That thread seems to have gotten lost...

Hey, all-

The date for dim sum is still to be confirmed, but I think it will happen.

I would support a regular dining expedition. November and December get diffcult because of the holidays, but maybe we can pick a regular day, like the 2nd Sunday of the month or something.

And joler, check out this Korean BBQ thread with pictures. Basically, most Korean BBQ places have a grill at each table, and the customers cook the pre-marinated food themselves, along with a variety of pickles, kim chee, and steamed rice as the staple. Personally, I love kal bi - beef shortribs.

jschyun, since you started this thread - do you know of a Korean BBQ place that you wanted to suggest?

~Tad

Edited by FoodZealot (log)

Thanks FoodZealot! Those photos have my mouth watering already and it's just breakfast time! I will definitely plan on trying this place for lunch next week - in my town, if you don't try it within the first 3 months of opening you are very likely to find it closed. :sad: Hopefully that will not be the case this time. The ethnic restaurants are the best food in town.

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

jschyun, since you started this thread - do you know of a Korean BBQ place that you wanted to suggest?

I was thinking one of the bigger places in L.A or OC. Open to suggestions.

Just off the top of my head:

Soot Bull Jeep haven't been, everyone else says it's decent.

ChoSun Galbi heard good things about this place

Dong Il Jang Restaurant pretty good

Chung Ki Wa Wonder if this is related to the soft tofu place in Fullerton?

Shik Do Rak good food, but the OC location is larger and nicer

There are a couple of bbq places in fullerton that are good, but whose names escape my memory.

I'm open to any of these or any others that you guys find out about.

I was wondering if people would be interested in early november, since the dim sum thing is next week. I'm in town only every other week so I'll be able to make it if we do it on weekend of Nov1-Nov2, or Nov 7-9, Nov 15-16.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I was wondering if people would be interested in early november, since the dim sum thing is next week.  I'm in town only every other week so I'll be able to make it if we do it on weekend of Nov1-Nov2, or Nov 7-9, Nov 15-16.

Of the days you mentioned, the only day I can't do is Nov 2nd.

As far as choosing a place, I'd prefer someplace that someone can personally vouch for as being good or barring that, one that has pretty unanimously good reviews. I'm not into taking risks when it comes to dining as a group.

~Tad

As far as choosing a place, I'd prefer someplace that someone can personally vouch for as being good or barring that, one that has pretty unanimously good reviews.  I'm not into taking risks when it comes to dining as a group.

Yeah, good point. Since I normally don't do the barbeque thing in L.A., I can't vouch for any of them except Dong Il Jang. It was pretty good, but not thrilling.

I'd like to hear what others have to say.

--NeroW

• 3 weeks later...
I heard there is also a Japanese/Korean place in Fountain Valley that is good. Forgot the name. Can anyone help me?

Tsuruhashi

18798 Brookhurst St., between Ellis & Garfield, east side of street

Excellent Angus ribeye, salted tongue, kimchi fried rice, and Kirin on draught! :biggrin:

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

That's pretty close to me - I'll have to check it out even if the group doesn't go :smile:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

That's pretty close to me - I'll have to check it out even if the group doesn't go  :smile:

Hey, tejon, let me know if you want company when you go. I've been meaning to check this place out myself.

--NeroW

I'll throw in another suggestion from personal experience: Bu Ga in Garden Grove. First of all, it's huge, and would have no trouble handling us, no matter what our numbers. Second, the panchan here are numerous, diverse and of very good quality. Third, the meats are top-shelf, approaching what I've enjoyed at Tsuruhashi in Fountain Valley, vaunted for their beef. It's pretty freeway-close, too.

Bu Ga map

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

Hey, tejon, let me know if you want company when you go.  I've been meaning to check this place out myself.

Will do :-)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I'll throw in another suggestion from personal experience: Bu Ga in Garden Grove.  First of all, it's huge, and would have no trouble handling us, no matter what our numbers.  Second, the panchan here are numerous, diverse and of very good quality.  Third, the meats are top-shelf, approaching what I've enjoyed at Tsuruhashi in Fountain Valley, vaunted for their beef.  It's pretty freeway-close, too.

Bu Ga map

grandcru, thanks! I always prefer personal recomendations!

~Tad