• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Andale, 7th & D Streets NW

syzygy8

Liam--have you heard that the entire wine list is half-price on Monday evenings when you order a meal?

I had not, Steve. Thanks for the tip. It's always good to have a Monday night deal in the back of one's brain. Especially when it involves wine! :raz:

By the way, sara and I enjoyed the 'pina colada' (along with a glass of moscatel) at Cafe Atlantico last Friday. Is that one of your masterpieces or courtesy of the boys upstairs at Minibar? It's nice to see it on the regular menu.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

• 1 month later...

After having little luck getting any service at the bar at Cafe Atlantico last night, I went around the corner and introduced myself to John the bartender. This was my 3rd visit to Andale, and like any good 3rd date, our relationship is now consummated. :blink: (I mean with the restaurant, not with John).

The taquitos were delicious-- rich and somewhat spicy. The "cocktail" of shrimp and scallops went well with a shot of Mezcal. And I think the ceviche is about as good as I've ever had.

Andale will be in heavy rotation on my restaurant list for a while.

See you there!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

It's now been over six months since I first posted the question asking for thoughts on Andale. I finally went there for the first time last month and I was very impressed. I completely agree about the ceviche, and I'll have to try it with the mezcal next time. So far I've stuck to the Don Julio tequilas. The queso fundido was also mighty tasty, but I had to have it without the chorizo, as Mrs. syzygy8 is a vegematarian. Even without yummy pork products, it was very good.

The zicil-p'ak. Get it. Don't even think about it. What a wonderful collection of flavors. Smoky, fruity, herbal and a light amount of heat. It needed to be served with more tortillas though.

The calamari was cooked perfectly, as in amazingly tender squid. I was less impressed, however, with its coating and the accompanying dip. Granted, it's about a zillion times better than your typical batter coated fried squid, but it didn't have my tastebuds dancing in the aisles like my other dining choices.

Haven't tried the entrees yet, and am waiting to do so on a Monday with the half-price wines. After all, I'm just a whining hipster/foodie who doesn't get his way.

My wife and I went a few weeks ago and I was impressed.

We did some bad ordering though and ended up with all but one of our items having guacamole in, on or to side. It was good Guac, but it was a little much for me after the third or fourth dish.

Bill Russell

• 8 months later...

I've been a bit disappointed there lately. Apps at the bar is still a fine idea, but the entrees I've had a couple of times recently have lacked any distinction.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.