• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best conglomeration for tuna salad sandwich?

NVNVGirl

May I ask all those who add egg: why?  I don't "get" it.  Either you make tuna salad or you make egg salad.  Why a hybrid?

Suzzane: The primary reason that egg is often combined with tuna, is that many people object to the fishy quality of some varieties of canned tuna. It also became more popular during the period when canned tuna became higher priced then the market place was accustomed to. It's also go's vice versa where some people want to give their egg salad a little zing.

What seems unusal to me is how often 'Tuna Salad", means just add Mayo. The first time I was served Tuna Salad, without Celery or Something mixed in was at 'Subway". What i've noticed on the ingredients of some of these type commercially packaged Mayo/Tuna Blends is that they have added Bread or Cracker Crumbs mixed in without reflecting a reduced or lowered price. Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

...water chestnuts for some snap.

Now there's a thought...great suggestion!

Best improvement lately has been a shot of wasabi powder in the mayo before blending.  Makes it taste less "canned" somehow... :smile:

My brother gave me a jar of Ming Tsai's Wasabi Powder (found at Target) and now I know what I can do with it. Thanks again!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

May I ask all those who add egg: why?  I don't "get" it.  Either you make tuna salad or you make egg salad.  Why a hybrid?

extra protein in my case.

i even do a tuna, egg and potato salad with chopped onions, when i'm off bread.

off course when i'm off mayo, i do a nuked potato, mashed with some canned tuna sauteed with onion garlic and red pepper, and cottage cheese, all heated til the cottage cheese become melty and gooey. sounds gross but is quite hearty and filling.

Edited by tryska (log)

Man, I'm starving and tuna salad is one of my favorite things.

I like it with just a little bit of mayo - if I have real mayonnaise in the house, all the better. Other than that, it depends on what's around. My friend made me tuna melts the other day with mayo, coarsely chopped sour pickles, egg (that had been boiled with potato sausage), and mustard. I don't really like onion in tuna salad because it makes it taste tinny to me. Scallions, chives, or shallots are OK though.

Right now my tuna is the 29c/can variety from Giant Eagle - StarKist water packed light tuna. Mmm.

When I was younger I'd just eat oil-packed tuna on squishy white bread. Now I like bagels the best for tuna.

Also like tuna with cilantro, lime juice, garlic, habanero sauce, olive oil.

Jennie

I like it all sorts of ways but usually go the basic lemon-mayo-shallot-dijon route, often perked up with pickle or olives or pickled peppers. The one true departure has been a mix of wasabi, pickled ginger, scallion, splash of soy, minced garlic etc. Sometimes hoisin, thai sweet chili sauce, cilantro. Lemongrass. Citrus zest. Lime leaf. (Larb anyone?) Many Asian possibilities, though for some reason these styles seem weird to me in a sandwich. I usually eat them as a salad on greens.

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

white albacore, REAL mayonnaise (as opposed to that LIGHT schwill), lemon juice, dill, salt, chive, celery, onion...

wheat bread toasted (sometimes with cheddar)...

plenty of green leaf lettuce, tomato and mayo on the bread...

salt and vinegar chips on the side

yum

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Oh, sometimes its just nice to put a few hard cooked eggs into a big vat of tuna salad (I mean a big vat). Hardly any there, but it can accentuate the egginess of the mayo and round up some sharper seasonings and the grilled taste of the ahi.

That's why I do it, when I do it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Man, I'm starving and tuna salad is one of my favorite things.

I like it with just a little bit of mayo - if I have real mayonnaise in the house, all the better.  Other than that, it depends on what's around.  My friend made me tuna melts the other day with mayo, coarsely chopped sour pickles, egg (that had been boiled with potato sausage), and mustard.  I don't really like onion in tuna salad because it makes it taste tinny to me.  Scallions, chives, or shallots are OK though.

Right now my tuna is the 29c/can variety from Giant Eagle - StarKist water packed light tuna.  Mmm.

When I was younger I'd just eat oil-packed tuna on squishy white bread.  Now I like bagels the best for tuna.

Also like tuna with cilantro, lime juice, garlic, habanero sauce, olive oil.

Did you happen to see the current issue of Saveur, with all the tuna tins on the cover and a pretty good story inside celebrating tinned tuna in all its glory?

Edited by fresco (log)
Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I saw that, fresco. Yes, oil-packed tinned tuna is a very good thing. One with a long and honoured history.

I prefer to grill ahi to serve.

But for myself, I'll sometimes open a tin of Italian tuna, add some capers and a twist of lemon and some coarse pepper then just eat it with a heel of crusty bread.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I saw that, fresco. Yes, oil-packed tinned tuna is a very good thing. One with a long and honoured history.

I prefer to grill ahi to serve.

But for myself, I'll sometimes open a tin of Italian tuna, add some capers and a twist of lemon and some coarse pepper then just eat it with a heel of crusty bread.

Can't miss with capers.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

...water chestnuts for some snap.

Now there's a thought...great suggestion!

Best improvement lately has been a shot of wasabi powder in the mayo before blending.  Makes it taste less "canned" somehow... :smile:

My brother gave me a jar of Ming Tsai's Wasabi Powder (found at Target) and now I know what I can do with it. Thanks again!

Toliver:

Glad you liked the ideas. :blush:

More importantly - let me know how it turned out and if you liked it!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol