• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KateW

Desserts a la minute

60 posts in this topic

So, was it well received?

I don't know, we just handed them in today. She'll have them back to us by Wednesday evening probably.

I got a 90...she said she wanted me to be more creative *and* make more use of what we learned in class. So both schools of thought are right, in this case.

She liked the hot chocolate idea, didn't like my drawings because I didn't use "templates". I thought it would look funny to have perfectly shaped desserts when they are not really like that, so I drew most of it freehand. I guess it would have looked better using rulers and stuff, even if it wouldn't have been accurate.

Points were taken off for not having the title of my establishment on the title page. I could have sworn she said the title page could be whatever we wanted. But I'm not going to squabble over that.

I was really nervous about my practical yesterday (molten chocolate cake with a sauce, crunch component and garnish of our choice based on what we had available) but I think it turned out ok. I don't know why I am such a klutz in the baking kitchen and not so much in a regular kitchen but I always end up spilling something...Yesterday I spilled the egg yolks for my creme anglaise and she said "I just have to say this...'the yolk's on you'..." Of course I laughed amiably and was just happy she wasn't yelling for once.

I think my creme anglaise came out well, that was 10 points. 10 points for each component on the plate, 10 points for sanitation, 10 for uniform inspection, 10 for use of tools, and 10 for time management. It all added up to 120 points so I might be forgetting some things. I was on time. I was so afraid I'd be the shmuck who was late, but nobody was late.

3 hours sounds like such a long time to make a dessert, but when you have 12 people doing the same thing, you have to wait for equipment, oven space, etc. It's a pain in the butt and that's what made me later than I expected.

The final exam wasn't too bad. It was both scantron and written answer.

I should be able to get the rest of my grades in the next couple days. Today I start garde manger.

You all must be busy today  :biggrin:

howja know?

good going, for a somewhat awkward assignment.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Not only was I baking all day, I could not log on to eG. :angry:

But it sounds great, Kate. Congratulations.

Tell us what you would do differently next time.

I would *think* more. Outside the box and all that.

The drawings I can't do much about. No matter what I do it looks like a little kid did it.

I showed her all my written stuff, but I did not get her approval of the drawings. Perhaps I should have shown her the drawings too and gotten some ideas of how to make them better. And the title page, so she could have told me I needed the establishment name on it.

Surprisingly, my fiance is very creative with plating desserts, even though he hates the whole concept. Like me, he doesn't like food looking so extravagant when you're just going to ruin the whole thing with your fork. But he is very good with visuals and contrasting ideas. I should have asked him for help with my project but I had no idea he could do that stuff until I timidly asked him for help a couple days later on drawing my molten chocolate cake, expecting him to say "Are you kidding?" Instead he said "Oh sure! You could do this and this, or this and that..." :blink:

I would *think* more.  Outside the box and all that.

The drawings I can't do much about.  No matter what I do it looks like a little kid did it.

I showed her all my written stuff, but I did not get her approval of the drawings.  Perhaps I should have shown her the drawings too and gotten some ideas of how to make them better.  And the title page, so she could have told me I needed the establishment name on it.

I wonder, though, if you could have capitalized on your artistic ability and gone the other way. Since it was intended to be a restaurant geared for kids, why not make the drawings look like a kid drew them? Draw the pictures with crayons. Make the drawings colorful and simplistic (i.e., kid-like). Write captions with a couple backward letters and so on. It would fit perfectly with the theme and would be geared towards your target demographic.

I guess I am having trouble understanding why someone in training to become a chef needs to also have the hand of Da Vinci when it comes to drawings?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

I dunno if she would have gone for that. True the menu is for kids but it's not by kids, lol. I guess she thought if you used compasses and rulers and such, it would look good, but I thought it would look rather unnatural to have perfectly rectangular brownies and such.

Guess what...for the garde manger project we have to draw more pictures...but I guess I'll be consulting another forum for that one :biggrin:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By JesseK
      Hello,

hoping someone can help me with some workflow questions. I've recently taken over the pastry role in a small tasting menu restaurant and we'd like to produce molded chocolate truffles for either mignardise or take-aways. We have 5 poly trays of molds that hold 40/tray and we'd like to produce roughly that many per week (200). Time and space is tight so I'd like to do this in one go, once per week. The problem I'm having is I don't know the proper workflow for creating this many candies at once. We do not have a tempering machine so it would be stovetop tempering. Is it possible to do that in one go with one big bowl of chocolate? In the past I've made truffles, but always discarded the chocolate after filling the molds. Is it a bad idea to put chocolate from the molds back into the large batch of tempered chocolate? (i.e. fill the molds with chocolate, let the shell set (1-2 mins) then when tipping the chocolate out, can that be tipped back into the large batch?) Also, any tips for large batch tempering of chocolate? We don't have a marble slab so the seeded method is really the only one. The real question is how can I keep a large batch of chocolate tempered for the time it takes to produce 200 molded candies? We have minimal equipment for this kind of operation and I'd be tempering over a double boiler then using ambient heat from a frenchtop to maintain temperature. 

Is this too much to do without a tempering machine? I'm worried about maintaining the temperature of the tempered chocolate during the time it takes to fill 200 molds with filling. I know I can retemper if I lose it but I really need to work fast and efficiently to get this done in the timeframe that I have (~1hr). If anyone has some insight into a workflow it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Jesse
    • By nonkeyman
      I finally found a place better than Molly Moons.
      In Seattle Washington for Ice Cream. I was actually not very found of Molly Moons. It is to cloy for me. Has anyone here been to Sweet Alchemy?(They don't have a website yet...so here is a blurb about them)

It is on 43rd and University Way. I thought it was Haagan Daz still because they haven't changed the banner. It is really good! They just are slightly expensive...3.80$ for their cheapest cone. I forgot to check if they have a children's scoop. They do a lot of fun and solid flavors. A tale of two teas, butter beer, Blueberry Lavender, Chai Tea, etc. They even have a very good vegan option called Monkey Berry Bash! It is made with coconut milk and really is quite good.

Besides the price. I think it is worth to go once!
    • By Darienne
      Yesterday I made my familiar go-to simple lime/cream cheese pie with one egg, some milk, lime juice & zest, etc, covered with a dark chocolate ganache: heavy cream, a dollop of butter.  It's in the fridge covered with a plastic topper but I can cover it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.

Today's lunch guest is not coming...onslaught of sleet, freezing rain, and now snow...oh goodie...winter's here...  Now she is slated for next Thursday.  Is there any possibility that the pie can last that long and not poison or at least revolt us?

Thanks.
    • By cakewalk
      Can cake batter be frozen, then defrosted several days, weeks, or even months later for baking? If so, does this cause any changes in the way the cake bakes? This seems preferable to baking and then freezing the cake(s) because of considerations such as room in the freezer, but mostly, for me, because of time considerations. Has anyone ever done this?
    • By ryangary
      I bought a box of molten chocolate cakes from Presidents Choice that you cook from frozen in the microwave for 45 seconds or so. They come out perfect but the chocolate they use is inferior. My question is, if I was to make my own chocolate cakes let them cool, then freeze them, reheating them in the microwave for the same amount of time would they work. I like the fact that I can have a dozen or so in the freezer and just nuking them when friends pop in. Help me make this work! Please.