• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desserts a la minute

KateW

I'm just trying to figure out how "a la minute" figures into it. Or am I taking "a la minute" too seriously? Could it just be something like a souffle or something that you need to serve right away but takes longer than a couple minutes to cook?

No elyse you are not wrong. You are exactly on target.

KateW on the other hand - You are completely wrapped around the axel on a la minute confusing it with tableside. Normally it is - as I believe has been previously covred here by me and others - a dessert consisting of hot and cold, or one or the other elements that need to be brought together on the plate at the last minute since they cannot be plated in advance like a slice of cake. It does not need to involve fireworks in the dining room.

Edited by chefette (log)

Okay if I just say yum?

But yeah that sounds a la minute. AND tableside. They can even choose their hot chocolate flavor by choosing from a selection of truffles.

Can I eat at your house? :wub:

Edited by elyse (log)

My drawings suck, but I hope it looks like I really tried, because I did. I really like how my menu came out on the special paper I bought. It has a cute colorful border and I chose a sort of playful font. I think it looks good.

After the whole thing about the a la minute dessert I'm afraid of what you all will say about the rest of it...particularly the brownie, after that brownie safety comment...but it has a melted marshmallow in it, if that helps... :sad:

but no fake sauce I can guarantee that. Well here goes.

My place is geared towards children. It is a purely dessert restaurant.

Because my fictional place does birthday parties I had to put the obligatory cake and ice cream... there is a choice of white, chocolate or marble cake, and then vanilla, chocolate or choice of either with mix-ins. The ice cream is also served on its own as an individual dessert.

Then the a la minute dessert--choice of 3 mini truffles any combo of white, chocolate or dark, brought to your table in a teacup and melted with hot milk. brought with additional milk and a bowl of whipped cream. Served with cookies.

Then a meyer lemon mousse with mint-mango coulis--I don't know what I was thinking with this one but she liked it, however I know it is not creative and rather monochrome, so that does not need to be brought to my attention.

Yeah so there you go. I am happy with some items, not so much with others, but I think she is more concerned with the technical part of this rather than our creativity. I had her look over everything including the written body where I laid out my restaurant plan and basic ideas for the menu and she only had minor changes for me. I showed her my menu on Thursday which was all the same except for the a la minute dessert and she approved. So, we'll see...

Edited by KateW (log)

I have no idea if you're still there, but would it matter if you offered a more varied selection of truffles? You could have raspberry white chocolate hot chocolate, dark chocolate Mayan spiced hot chocolate, Grand Marnier milk chocolate hot chocolate, etc..