• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home-made biryani

mongo_jones

Hassouini I think he means cooking it either in the crock pot or in some sort of clay vessel - at least that is what google thinks ;)

http://www.thefrugalette.com/2013/02/how-to-make-crock-pot-biryani/ (crock pot)

(clay vessel)

Not sure what distinguishes it in a positive way from "regularly cooked".

Odd, last night I was just thinking about biryani (or bryani, as I spelled it) though I have not made it in years. The recipe I use is from The Yogi Cookbook, Yogi Vithaldas and Susan Roberts, Crown Publishers, 1968, pp 36-38. Why Vithaldas and Roberts spell it "bryani" I have no idea.

Their recipe has no meat. When I was in graduate school I surveyed my Indian acquaintances (of which there were two) whether bryani was made with meat? One told me bryani could not be made with meat. The other told me bryani could not be made without meat. What I prefer to do is make bryani by the Vithaldas and Roberts recipe (without meat) and serve grilled lamb on the side.

Chicken biryani would not have occurred to me.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 8 months later...

easy recipe for dum Biryani: 

ingredients: Whole garam Masala (green cardamon, black cardamon, cinnamon, bay leaf, clove, black pepper),

mint leaf,

chopped corriender

curd,

ginger garlic paste,

sliced onion,

chicken,

oil

salt 

roasted cumin powder

roasted coriander powder 

red chilli powder

edible orange color

preparation:

1. soak rice for at least 1/2 an hour

2. marinate the chicken for at least 1 hrs with ginger garlic paste, curd, roasted cumin powder, roasted coriander powder, red chilli powder.

3. put oil in the vessel you want the biryani to be cooked, put oil, fry the sliced onion till red. take it out & keep it aside.

4. now put some more oil in the vessel, all whole garam masala, put ginger garlic paste, stir it for 2 min in low flame, than put the marinated chicken to it & add salt to taste, cook it for atleast 5 min.

5. boil water separately, add salt to it. 

6. now we have to make layers, wherein the chicken is already placed, put some mint leaf, fried onion, & the soaked rice, finally put all the remaining mint leaf & fried onions & fianally chopped corriender, put the boil water till the rice layer, cover the same with heavy lid, as no air can pass, & the same get cooked in dum. leave it on a low flame, for atleast 30 min. 

7. uncover the vessel, & add some edible color(mix with water) to it. your biryani's ready, 

kindly note that its not a book recipe. i do cook biryani, in the same manner at home, its yummy.