• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sources of bulk mac & cheese powdered sauce mix?

MGLloyd

My 17 year old son has a fascination with using the powdered sauce packets from boxes of macaroni and cheese. He uses them as a seasoning for all types of food. In the Seattle area, a very few stores used to sell canisters of the Kraft mac & cheese sauce mix, right next to the canisters of dried Parmesan cheese. But alas, I have not found any in ages.

He would be thrilled if I could find a large bulk container of this as a Christmas gift. Some heavy Googling using the terms 'dried cheese powder', 'powdered cheese sauce mix' and the like did not reveal any very good sources except for small foil packets. I did find a lot of number 10 cans of dried cheese sold by the survivalist-type stores, but this was not exactly what I am looking for. I also tried looking under 'popcorn cheese seasoning' and found that most such products are primarily salt.

Ideally, I would like to find a gallon jar of a dried cheese powder. Does anyone have any sources or suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Is this what you were looking for?

Click Here.

Edit: Found it through a Google search for "cheese powder"

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Is this what you were looking for?

Click Here.

Edit:  Found it through a Google search for "cheese powder"

I did see that particular item, and it too, is a number 10 can of powder. Not quite what I was looking for. Any other ideas?

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Try Sargento Foods, I know they have a division where they sell stuff like this to other companies that make further processed foods. Think they called it their Business to Bussiness division or something.

Kraft probably makes their own. and might also sell to others.

that's the route you want to go

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

King Arthur Flour sells a cheese powder. It's actually quite good, although again, not the same as the Kraft stuff.

Have you tried checking with Kraft? Maybe they sell it through distributors such as US Foodservice or Sysco?? Or if you have to buy the whole thing in bulk -- sauce mix AND macaroni -- you'll have materials for craft projects for the rest of your life (Xmas tree wreaths, ashtray decorations -- all those neat thing you made in elementary school or a day camp in the summer :laugh: )

and just as a side note, you may want to encourage your 17 year old to season with something a little more healthy. a suggestion as an alternative that still has a bit of a cheesy feel to it, brewer's yeast. I put this on popcorn and I swear it tastes like cheese popcorn. Try it, I'm serious!!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

and just as a side note, you may want to encourage your 17 year old to season with something a little more healthy. a suggestion as an alternative that still has a bit of a cheesy feel to it, brewer's yeast. I put this on popcorn and I swear it tastes like cheese popcorn.  Try it, I'm serious!!

Surely you jest.

and just as a side note, you may want to encourage your 17 year old to season with something a little more healthy. a suggestion as an alternative that still has a bit of a cheesy feel to it, brewer's yeast. I put this on popcorn and I swear it tastes like cheese popcorn.  Try it, I'm serious!!

really? i mix it in orange juice or water and gulp.

maybe i need to try it on popcorn. the kind by Lewis Labs?

Surely you jest.

Stop calling me Surely.

really? i mix it in orange juice or water and gulp.

maybe i need to try it on popcorn. the kind by Lewis Labs?

yeah, really. I dunno about the Lewis Labs kind. I just buy the stuff in the bulk spice aisle.

Is it good in oj? or water?

DON'T use brewer's yeast, that stuff is bitter. Now nutritional yeast on popcorn or macaroni is quite good. It tastes almost exactly like cheese.

See!

nute yeast? maybe that was what I got. Pretty sure it was brewer's yeast. it didn't taste bitter to me. Course, I've been known to like a bitter or three.

Between your own knees father!

do you like movies about gladiators?

and it must be nutritional yeast, because i can't imagine brewer's yeast tasting good on anything. but it's high in protein, has a full array of amino acids, and contains chromium and zinc, so i'll keep gulping it down.

Edited by tryska (log)

Interesting how this thread has taken on the aura of various acid trip flashbacks, not that there is anything wrong with that. By the way, the yeast product mentioned earlier has to be nutritional yeast. I know brewer's yeast, being a homebrewer, and that is the last thing you would want to put on food.

I have found what I think is the correct product: dried cheddar cheese powder.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd