• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg Curry

tryska

does anyone have a good, relatively easy egg curry recipe they would be willing to share?

i don't have my mom's, and i've been using one out of a cookbook, but it involves using nuts to thicken the gravy, and i'd rather just have it be more tomato based. i would call my mom and ask, but her cooking has changed lately, and she's always skipping steps, or using ingredients i didn't grow up with.

and of course last night i developed a craving for egg curry and rice. :biggrin:

• 4 months later...
does anyone have a good, relatively easy egg curry recipe they would be willing to share?

i don't have my mom's, and i've been using one out of a cookbook, but it involves using nuts to thicken the gravy, and i'd rather just have it be more tomato based.  i would call my mom and ask, but her cooking has changed lately, and she's always skipping steps, or using ingredients i didn't grow up with.

and of course last night i developed a craving for egg curry and rice.  :biggrin:

Just think you are making a basic chicken curry and when the ' masalla' is done add water to your preffered consistancy, cook a little bit more for a homogenous sauce to form and instead of chicken just add shelled hard boiled eggs which you have deep fried until a skin formed and pricked with a fork.

Simmer a few minutes and enjoy with your rice.

You can also make an omlette curry with left over chicken curry gravey where you make a masalla omelette with diced onion, green chilles, clantro and tomato, cut into cubes and simmer a few minutes in last night chicken curry.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

I don't have the recipe handy, but have one some place which essentially replaces the panir of matar panir with sliced boiled egg. It is very simple, and quite good.

BB

(fixed spelling)

Edited by Big Bunny (log)

Food is all about history and geography.

ok! first up you'll need to make a batch of the following masala

-this is from mangalore on the west coastof india

coondapur masala

1 .500 gms dried red chillies(make your own mix for heat& plenty of colour)

2 .250 gms coriander seed

3. 100 gms cumin

4. 3 tbsps peppercorns

5. 1 1/2 tbsp fenugreek seed

6 .4 tbsps turmeric powder

7. 3 tbsps garlic flakes

(scale it down but you do the math!)

roast each of the first six ingredients separately on low heat.deseed the chillies .grind together and then add the garlic flakes with the skin on.

the lady that gave me this recipe said she prefers not to add the garlic and turmeric-adding as needed in recipes.she does however add a tablespoon of ajwain/bishops weed -also roasted and ground.that is the mix i go with .in this recipe i would add turmeric but not garlic but it's good with too.

this is an extremely versatile blend that lends itself to mutton/lamb,chicken,fish ,egg and vegetable dishes.

EGG CURRY

1/2 coconut

2 tbsps coondapur masala

1/2 an onion

1 tsp of tamarind paste

1 onion chopped fine

salt to taste

6 eggs

seasoning-brown one small ,finely chopped onion in a little oil at the end

grind the first four ingredients to a fine paste.cook in 4 cups of water along with the chopped onion.simmer until it no longer smells raw.add salt,

break the eggs one by one into the gravy and cook.season with the browned onion.

if youre making ahead , whole,soft boiled eggs with a small x cut in the smaller end make a luscious little mouthful!

and now for the really easy one!this is not a curry really-more like eggs poached in onions!i like to use about one large onion per egg & one for the pot so that the eggs stay coushined nicely.

4 eggs

5 large onions

1 1/2 tbsp coarsely ground coriander seed

1tsp turmeric powder

11/2 tsp ground cumin

coarsely ground (somewhere between flakes and powder)chilli powder to taste

oil as needed

salt to taste

dice the onions-not too fine -they need to stay reasonably firm.fry gently until transparent then sprinkle over the turmeric & salt-stir in.next sprinkle one at a time the coriander,chilli and cumin.dont mix in.cover the pot for a minute to build up some steam.uncover and press into the onions with the back of a spoon to make 4 depressions to hold the eggs.break the eggs into the onions,cover,turn up the heat a little and poach until done -more salt to taste.if you time this right you'll have a bed of sweet onion just beginning to brown at the base.

this one's really good eaten donburi style!also good with the coondapur masala -not as subtle.

hoeuf fun! :wink:

i don't have my mom's, and i've been using one out of a cookbook, but it involves using nuts to thicken the gravy, and i'd rather just have it be more tomato based.  i would call my mom and ask, but her cooking has changed lately, and she's always skipping steps, or using ingredients i didn't grow up with.

and of course last night i developed a craving for egg curry and rice.   :biggrin:

Just think you are making a basic chicken curry and when the ' masalla' is done add water to your preffered consistancy, cook a little bit more for a homogenous sauce to form and instead of chicken just add shelled hard boiled eggs which you have deep fried until a skin formed and pricked with a fork.

Simmer a few minutes and enjoy with your rice.

You can also make an omlette curry with left over chicken curry gravey where you make a masalla omelette with diced onion, green chilles, clantro and tomato, cut into cubes and simmer a few minutes in last night chicken curry.

thanks bb - actually monica gave me a wonderful recipe the time i originally posted this and it was fabulous.

that omelet curry recipe sounds very good tho - i shall have to try that!

ok! first up you'll need to make a batch of the following masala

-this is from mangalore on the west coastof india

coondapur masala

1 .500 gms dried red chillies(make your own mix for heat& plenty of colour)

2 .250 gms coriander seed

3. 100 gms cumin

4. 3 tbsps peppercorns

5. 1 1/2 tbsp fenugreek seed

6 .4 tbsps turmeric powder

7. 3 tbsps garlic flakes

(scale it down but you do the math!)

roast each of the first six ingredients separately on low heat.deseed the chillies .grind together and then add the garlic flakes with the skin on.

Why do you roast all the seprate ingredients first and then mix them up? And do you have several little pans going, or just one and do them in order?

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~