• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Back From Cuba

Rene

Hi,

I just returned from Cuba. It was great.

I had great local rum like Areche (from former Arechebala) and Caney (from former Bacardi). Ofvourse there was plenty of Havana Club (now and then to much, but it is holiday).

I also visited The Havana club museum and headquarter. The distillery was forbidden.

I saw the former Bacardi and Matusalem distillery (from the outside). I took some pictures, but the police did not like that. I also visited another distillery (botling part actually). The distilleries are mostly forbidden for tourist.

I'm working on an internet site where the journey will be shown.

For now, best regards,

Rene :cool:

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

What happened when the police didn't like your picture-taking? It sounds like there's a lot of paranoia by and about the distilleries. Is it well-founded on some basis or other?

Did you get a chance to hear some good music?

Michael aka "Pan"