• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No. Cal: Frankfurters Wanted

For several years, we've been lucky enough to have a local (Humboldt County, CA) purveyor of old-fashioned franks, Premiere Meats. Suddenly, probably because they've been very successful, their product has become leaner and very bland. Surely there is out there a mail-order frank that has a skin, no corn-syrup or fillers, and good spiciness. If you are as old as me, and ever lived in New York, you may remember the street-corner hot dogs under the blue and yellow umbrella that said "Sabrettes." There's nothing close to that in supermarkets, particularly brands like Hebrew National and Nathans. Help! byrd_house@cox.net

Check Usinger's -- I picked that name up from a conversation on another board. Their "Certified Angus Beef Franks" are supposed to be incredible, but I haven't had the chance to order them yet...

If there's an Albertson's grocery store close by, check to see if they're carrying Sabrett dogs. Not every store has them but you might be able to special order them, or you might get lucky and convince them to regularly stock them. Good luck.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Unfortunately at the present time we do not have a distributor in your area but if you would like to order our products on-line please visit our distributors at:

www.pirylis.com click on NY Flavor Link or www.foodsofnewyork.com

Sincerely,

Sabrett Internet Services

info@sabrett.com

Living hard will take its toll...

I am amazed at the small percentage of people making thier own homemade sausages/franks.

Personally I started out buying ground pork, mixing my own spices into the meat, bought a hank of casings.

Then when stuffing part came, I found the perfect tool.

An old fashion metal cookie press. I could fill the canister up with about 1 lb of seasoned meat, added the largest plain tip that came with the kit on the end, and forced my casing over the tube. As I screwed down on the plunger, out came the seasoned meat into the casing. I twisted off the sausages every 7 inches or so, and let them dry in the refrigerator. Most important part of the entire process is cleanliness, but you can at least control the amount of fat, and spice measurments to your own enjoyment. Only differnce with hot dogs is that the meat is emulsified.

woodburner

• 1 month later...

I love old fashioned franks. have tried several brands but none match the taste I recall as a child when my grandfather (a sausage maker) would give me some..when I visited.

They were so good, you bit into the casing and it cracked and juice just spewed, they were tasty and moist...cannot find anything remotely close.

Out here in the Bay Area I've had good luck with the Casper's and Niman Ranch dogs. I can't remember which has the best casing...I think it was Casper's though. Both are comprable to Sabrett.

Now if only Vienna Beef distributed out here we'd be in "Chicago Dog" heaven.