• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most impressive dessert you ever did see

Fat Guy

Flames are good. I'm in favor of flames. Flames are right up there with exploding and collapsing things. But I think I'm pretty much desensitized to the old gimmick of just lighting some liqueur on fire in order to create flames. I would need much more serious flames to be impressed at this point.

I'm aware of an incident in which an egg shell used to hold flaming liquor turned over on a Baked Alaska and exploded. Not the intended effect--either the explosion or the lawsuit.

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Combinations of flaming desserts should be attempted only by flaming dessert sommeliers.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Like others, not really showmanship involved, but a visual... I hosted a trompe l'oeil dinner where all the food had to look like something else.

The dessert was the clear winner with this woman bringing in a raspberry preserves-filled chocolate cake. Why was it the winner? Well, she cut the chocolate sheet cake into the shape of a dead dog, complete with tire tracks leading into his decimated middle. The raspberry jam? Well that was the blood that was oozing out of his middle.

Yeah, it was pretty grotesque looking but well-made and quite delicious. We were terribly impressed with her use of shaved chocolate to simulate a furry coat and red liquorice cut for a tongue that was hanging out.

Ah, if only they had made digital cameras back then...

The last time I had bananas foster prepared tableside was back in 1983. Do restaurants still do flaming desserts or am I just missing out because I live in Austin? I've seen plenty of visual showmanship here, but why aren't people blowing stuff up and setting things on fire?

[the shape of a dead dog, complete with tire tracks leading into his decimated middle]

Whoa! That was insanely hilarious and disturbing. It sounds like she put a lot of love into making it.

The last time I had bananas foster prepared tableside was back in 1983.  Do restaurants still do flaming desserts or am I just missing out because I live in Austin?  I've seen plenty of visual showmanship here, but why aren't people blowing stuff up and setting things on fire?

I've had bananas foster prepared tableside in New Orleans just last year, and in Redwood City, CA a few years ago.

There are restaurants in London that do a lot of preparation tableside.

Bruce

The last time I had bananas foster prepared tableside was back in 1983.  Do restaurants still do flaming desserts or am I just missing out because I live in Austin?  I've seen plenty of visual showmanship here, but why aren't people blowing stuff up and setting things on fire?

From my Austin memories, you're more likely to find a sizzling steak platter.

Not to mention at least three women (and one man) offered their bodies to Broberg after the meal

And I thought that that only happened to me! (drum roll,cymbal crash)

No, seriously folks, F.G., this sounds amazing!

I've gotta google this to see if I can find out anything.

2317/5000

The most fun dessert I've ever had was the "club sandwich" at Chez L'Epicier in Montreal. The "sandwich was a delicious layer cake that actually resembled a sandwich. Served on the plate were pineapple "french fries" and shaved melon "cole slaw" in a vanilla "mayonnaise. It looked as if it was a luncheon main course at a diner and tasted heavenly. It hit all the right notes.

The first time I ever had molten chocolate cake (at Jean-Georges) there were a lot of oohs and aahs.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I never tasted this, but I read a description of a dessert at Vetri in Philadelphia which has stayed with me over the years--warmed olive oil poured tableside onto a chocolate disk, melting it and mingling with the dessert below.  Sounded like nice showmanship.

This is an eerily similar description to the dish I mentioned earlier, and attributed to the French Laundry. Hmmmm....

I do think there is a point where the bells and whistles can overshadow the taste of a dessert. I do however like to serve (and be served) desserts or dishes that have a story, an instruction, a surprise, a subtle concept where the way we physically eat it is part of the enjoyment. Engaging the diner, getting them to play along, making them feel as if they play an integral role in the process- it is difficult to pull off well, without crossing the line into pure novelty for its own sake. In the end, it may incite some discussion, furthering the sense of 'relationship' we strive for in the restaurant business. That's really what it's all about...

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

Do restaurants still do flaming desserts or am I just missing out because I live in Austin?

I believe open flames in the dining room are against the fire codes in New York City. Maybe candles and little sterno things are allowed, but I don't think flaming desserts are. As far as I know, nobody here is doing flaming desserts anymore, whereas there are still plenty of old-school "fancy" restaurants elsewhere in North America that do crepes suzettes, cherries jubilee, bananas foster, et al. I had some in Canada two summers ago, at one of the hotel restaurants.

bananas.jpg

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Almost forty years ago, I had a dessert at the Luisiana Restaurant in Monterrey, Mexico I've never forgotten. It was a version of baked Alaska but involved no cake or pastry. The dessert was baked/served in special stemmed metal "sherbet glasses" that appeared to be filled with green foam. Under the thin, sugary green meringue was a scoop of vanilla ice cream and fresh melon cubes and strawberries. It didn't crash or burn, but fascinated me nonetheless. On this same trip I had my first authentic Caesar salad at Cardini's, which has never been equalled in any other restaurant.

Upon our return home from Mexico, I was ill for about six weeks with what I thought was a lingering case of the "revenge." It turned out to be not Montezuma's, but Christopher's, who was born the next April.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

The most spectacular dessert in recent memory...

The occasion: Five "girlfriends" in Akumal, Mexico. We are at an elegant small restaurant. Our host was part owner of the restaurant and we had had a fabulous meal. Our table is sitting on the sand under the coconut palms next to the azure lagoon. The sun has now set.

The dessert: The chef has suggested the mango "mousse". The "mousse" was actually a frozen concoction of mango and finely diced habernero peppers in this creamy base. It was served in a big swirl in huge brandy snifters. The waiter then used a dipper and dramatically poured flaming tequila into the snifters. Quite spectacular. One of the "girlfriends" is our super taster and we are all trying to deconstruct this marvel. Fangelico? Nutmeg? Nope... We can't get it. The chef came out and fessed up. All that is in there is mango and sweetened condensed milk whirred in a blender. The haberneros are stirred in and then it is frozen. THAT IS IT! (Sweetened condensed milk is a very common ingredient in Mexico.)

Maybe it was the setting and the company but that was the best dessert I have had... ever. And I don't really like dessert.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I believe open flames in the dining room are against the fire codes in New York City. Maybe candles and little sterno things are allowed, but I don't think flaming desserts are.

So. Is THAT why the Flaming Orange Gullies we were served at our table at Beacon were pre-flamed, as opposed to the flamed-in-my-face version at the bar?

That was probably just because the server didn't know how to do it.

I believe open flames in the dining room are against the fire codes in New York City.

I actually had Cherries Jubilee (in NYC) last year and they flamed it tableside. Granted, it was at a kosher restaurant, and they tend not to be on the cutting edge of desserts, but it was the most popular thing on the dessert menu, and the other diners kept looking up at the preparation everytime the cart was rolled out.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I believe open flames in the dining room are against the fire codes in New York City.

I doubt you're right, FG. Lavagna flambees their whole-fish special for two in the dining room, in plain sight of the patrons who ordered it.

Michael aka "Pan"

Our 17 month old daughter just had (for her) an impressive dessert at a Mimi's Cafe and for free. Chocolate pudding with 2 buried gummy worms and covered with Oreo crumbs. Great, now she'll be wired!

The dessert was the clear winner with this woman bringing in a raspberry preserves-filled chocolate cake. Why was it the winner? Well, she cut the chocolate sheet cake into the shape of a dead dog, complete with tire tracks leading into his decimated middle. The raspberry jam? Well that was the blood that was oozing out of his middle.

How grotesque can you get! I have to admit this made me laugh, but probably made people cry too thinking back at some animal they had as a kid died...

Anyways, My all time favorite showmanship was not any spectaular flames or meltings, but when I went for "just dessert" at a superior restaurant. What wowed me about this was when the group all had a different dessert in front of them. These desserts were served (placed the dessert at the correct angle in front of the person) and described by the Pastry Chef in full detail. To be served by the Pastry Chef was amazing and to actually hear every bit of the dessert down to the different accent sauces/items on the plate was absolutley amazing to me. I will always have that day in my memory.

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

my most memorable still was the wasabi sorbet served on a block of ice at Papillion 2 years ago when Paul Liebrandt was still chef,,, I was quite impressed!

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

Anyways, my all time favorite showmanship was not any spectaular flames or meltings, but when I went for "just dessert"...

... I will always have  that day in my memory.

Debra, you've definitely got to get out more! And furthermore, flattery will get you nowhere, sister!

:wink:

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

my most memorable still was the wasabi sorbet served on a block of ice at Papillion 2 years ago when Paul Liebrandt was still chef,,, I was quite impressed!

Wasabi sorbet doesn't sound like a dessert to me. It was sweet?

Michael aka "Pan"

I seem to recall that it was served as an intermezzo rather than a dessert, but it has been awhile and it may have appeared in different versions.

Wasabi sorbet doesn't sound like a dessert to me. It was sweet?

yeah it was sweet! and was incredible!

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer