• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Garlic

fifi

At least, I used to think I knew good garlic when I saw it. A couple of weeks ago, my local HEB had some white skinned garlic, 5 heads for $1. They looked pretty good... nice fat heads with big cloves, firm, no blemishes. Then last weekend, I made Baba Ghannouj after reading FoodMan's Lebanese cooking lesson and getting a serious Jones for some of that food. I used a classic recipe that called for 2 cloves. When I sliced the cloves lengthwise preparing to dice and smush with some kosher salt, I noticed that the sprout was discolored brown so I removed it. The rest of the clove wasn't as succulent as some I have seen but was ok. BOY... was that some strong garlic! I just finished the last of the Baba Ghannouj and it just kept getting stronger.

Now, I loves my garlic. When the fresh purple skinned garlic comes in at my Asian grocery for 10 for $1, I buy a bunch, roast it up and freeze it for later in glass jars. I make mojo de ajo and keep a jar in the fridge for pan frying fish. I like paper thin slices on fresh pizza, added just when it comes out of the oven. I am no garlic weenie.

What I want to know...

What is the best garlic in the world?

When is it available at its peak?

What are your experiences regarding red skinned versus white skinned?

What is going on with the brownish bud in that white skinned garlic?

Do I need to make a pilgrimage to Gilroy to learn all about it?

Do we have a garlic expert around here?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I don't even come close to being a garlic expert, but I know what I like. Fortunately, there are many people at the local farmers market that sell interesting varieties of garlic that you'd never find at the local supermarket. (And it's garlic season right now - :wub:)

My general understanding of garlic is that there are two main types - softneck and hardneck. Softneck is what you buy at the supermarket. Hardneck (farmers market) generally has a hard stem in the middle of the bulb, tastes better, but (unfortunately) doesn't store very well. A couple months or so in my experience. I wish I had some variety names to give you, but I don't. Maybe after my next trip to the farmers market.

So, try the farmers market, and get some true garlicy goodness.

IMy general understanding of garlic is that there are two main types - softneck and hardneck. Softneck is what you buy at the supermarket. Hardneck (farmers market) generally has a hard stem in the middle of the bulb, tastes better, but (unfortunately) doesn't store very well. A couple months or so in my experience. I wish I had some variety names to give you, but I don't. Maybe after my next trip to the farmers market.

So, try the farmers market, and get some true garlicy goodness.

From our farmer's market, I have been getting Polish Hardneck, Music, Georgia Fire, Siberian, Carpathian, Asian Tempest, Georgia Crystal, Red Czar, Chesnook Red, Inchelium Red. Unfortunately, I did not mark the cloves nor keep notes, but they are far superior, and very different, than supermarket garlic.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Snowangel, if you would, on your next visit to the market please get a sample of each of these types of garlic, then post pictures of each variety with tasting notes.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Snowangel, if you would, on your next visit to the market please get a sample of each of these types of garlic, then post pictures of each variety with tasting notes.

Assuming the garlic lady is there, and they have garlic on October 11, I will do so!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I don't know if this problem is widespread, but suspect it might be. Over the last couple of years, the price of garlic in just about any place I shop has plummeted to something ridiculous, often the equivalent of about 60 cents US a pound.

But usually the quality is terrible--lots of those brown spots, often cloves that are beginning to rot. I think all this stuff is coming over from China.

The solution may be to seek out one really good source and travel across town if need be to get it. Even at 10 or 20 or 30 times the price of the terrible stuff, it would still be very cheap.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I would travel many miles to find "the garlic lady". Unfortunately, Houston has no real "farmer's markets". (Just look at that map on that internet site. There is a huge hole around Houston.)

Can anyone characterize the different types of garlic so that I can drool vicariously?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Fifi, great question. I've wondered how to choose good garlic as well.

The only thing I know is that you want heads of garlic with tightly packed cloves and that it should feel heavy for its size.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

What makes good garlic depends on where you live. If you have a cold winter then the farmers near you will grow different kinds than if you live somewhere that never gets cold. The hardneck varieties are almost always the best tasting, and they are definitly the easiest to peel. If you've got a farmers market near you, buy one of everything offered and figure out what you like best.

A lot of the sweetness and heat in garlic comes from the soil its grown in, so different farmers growing the same kind of garlic will produce vastly different products (same with sweet onions). Your just going to need to eat a shitload of garlic to figure out what you like best.

The hardneck varieties have just that, a hard 'neck' or stem that grows up between the cloves. You can't miss it, so if you don't see one, you'e looking a softneck variety. As HB noted, these keep much longer and are usually what you'll find in most stores.

I'm guessing the brown sprout meant that the garlic was really old...the cloves want to sprout and it's not uncommon to find a green one about to burst out of the clove (these tend to be bitter and should be trimmed out). If the sprout was brown, the clove had probably started dying.

Seeds of Change is good place to learn about (and order) garlic. I bought several hardneck varieties a few years ago and have been propagating one, Italian purple-skinned, for several years. You can either save some of the cloves to replant in the fall or, as I do, leave a few scapes on and plant the little bulbils that form at the top of the stalk. Cutting the scapes (the curly tops) makes for bigger heads at harvest and provide some good eating as well.

I harvest in late July or early August, and I've kept the garlic for 6-8 months. It starts to get dried out after about 4 months, but there are still good cloves in every head. I love he fact that I rarely have to buy garlic, just go out in the garage and pull a few heads out of storage.

If you order garlic to plant, you get a bag of garlic, and there's no reason you can't eat it.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

If you order garlic to plant, you get a bag of garlic, and there's no reason you can't eat it.

It's true that you can eat the seed garlic, but it's usualy a full season old when its shipped so that it will sprout easily when its planted. Garlic gets bitter once it starts sprouting - which it most likely will have done by the time you get it from a seed catalog, just expect the stuff you grow to taste better than what you stick in the ground.

Garlic grows well in containers if they are deep enough, I use a large rubbermade tub with a few holes in the bottom. Each will grow two dozen heads or so. It thins down to 12 or so full sized heads, but there is an endless supply of green garlic while its growing, just don't eat the green garlic from the plants you want to bulb out.

"Garlic Selection:

Many people are surprised to learn that there are actually more than 300 individual strains of garlic! The strains vary in taste, length of storage, color, size, number of cloves per bulb, hardiness, and suitability for certain types of cooking.

It is good to find out as much as possible about the strains of garlic you are planting. If you visit the GarlicGal at Rocambole Garlic Shop, the she can help you select strains of garlic that meet your growing and eating needs... She can help you select the flavor and spiciness level that appeals to you. Certain strains are better for braiding than others, some store longer, some are more gourmet in flavor, some mature earlier, some later; all criteria to consider in making your garlic selection.

Seed stock grown using organic farming techniques is best because less chemicals end up in your food. In addition, organic farming techniques are less harmful to the soil and the organisms living in it, therefore the health of the soil is maintained.

There are five basic varieties of garlic, as follows. Each of the over 300 strains of garlic lies within one of these basic varieties. There are sub-varieties which are not discussed here for simplicity sake.

Artichoke: Artichoke Variety garlics were named after artichoke plants because their heads are characterized by layers of overlapping cloves, which look similar to an actual artichoke. Artichoke Variety garlics are typically vigorous, productive and adaptable. They are long storing and some of the easiest garlics to grow.

Silverskin: Silverskin Variety garlics need better soil than Artichoke Variety garlics, and prefer mild winter climates for best character. Silverskin Vareity garlics are characterized by tallish and sometimes pinkish cloves. They typically store about 8 - 10 months, the longest of any of the garlics. They are the best for braiding, but are usually the most difficult to peel of all garlic.

Porcelain: One of the most impressive looking garlics. Don't mistake Porcelain Variety garlics for Elephant Garlic! Yes, both have very large clove size, but the superior flavor of Porcelains is rich, full-bodied and highly sought by connoisseurs. Bulbs are beautiful-smooth and symmetrical with snow-white wrappers enclosing 4 to 8 buff colored cloves, often with rosy red or purple stripes. Easy to clean and store longer than the other hardnecks. The least common variety of garlic in North America.

Purple Stripe: If you like to roast garlic and would like a garlic that retains its flavor well when roasted, the Purple Stripe Variety is one of the best places to look. Some of the GarlicGal's favorite Purple Stripes for roasting are Chesnok Red, Metechi, and Brown Tempest. Purple Stripe Variety garlics are characterized by very attractive bulbs, with beautiful purple lines and stripes, and usually 8 to 12 cloves per bulb. Their cloves are tall and elongated, with partial red-purple streaks over a buff background.

Rocambole: This is the most widely grown of the hardnecks. Characterized by rich flavor that is highly sought by chefs. Bulb wrappers are often blotched with purple. Cloves are brownish with varying reddish blush. Usually averages about 6 to 11 cloves per bulb, which are very easy to peel. Enjoy these garlics while you can as the storage length averages only 3 to 4 months when well grown and well cured. Surely you'll want to grow some more for next year. Rocambole Variety garlics produce really impressive looking stalks! Shortly after their stalks appear they coil into tight loops. For this reason, Rocambole Variety garlics are often called 'serpent garlic'. Later they lose their coils and the stalks turn woody.

The five basic varieties of garlic are divided into Softneck garlic and Hardneck garlic, as follows.

1) Softneck garlic: Artichoke and SilverskinVariety garlics are considered to be 'softneck' garlic, also known as common garlic. Softneck garlic is primarily the type of garlic that you find in the grocery store. Roughly 90% of this type of all garlic consumed in the United States is softneck garlic grown in California. Softneck garlic is generally good for braiding. Many of the Artichoke Variety garlics also braid well.

2) Hardneck garlic: Porcelain, Purple Stripe, and Rocambole Variety garlics are the 'hardneck' garlics. Many consider hardneck garlics to be more flavorful, gourmet tasting than softnecks. However, hardnecks typically do not store as long as softnecks, and are not well suited for braiding. In the GarlicGal's opinion, the more full-bodied flavor is well worth it! Also, even though they may not braid well, the GarlicGal has had good success with 'swagging' hardneck garlic.

From the GarlicGal.com

More Sources for information, pictures, and descriptions:

Irish Eyes

Montana Gourmet Garlic

"What is hardneck garlic?"

The Garlic Store

Has pictures of some of the heirloom varieties.

Gourmet Garlic Gardens

Garlic Farm

The Herb Man

Filaree Farm

Glacier Gourmet Garlic

Three Oaks Farm

Olympic Meadow Farms

Ashley Creek Farm

New Moon Garlic

Charley's Farm

Seed Savers Org

Edited by mudbug (log)

I can't say what the best variety of garlic is, but the season is definitely late summer and fall. That's when you find hardneck garlic, which is unquestionably superior, at least to softneck supermarket garlic. (There may be some heirloom softneck varieties that I don't know about).

My question is: is garlic truly seasonal, or is it reasonable to prod the supermarket to get better garlic in the spring or dead of winter? I've actually returned old, sprouted garlic, which made me feel rather petty, but if they can only get junk, I'd rather they just admit it and not sell any garlic. I can certainly live on onions for a few months if need be.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

eGADS mudbug... Great post!

I am going to go study at Garlic U for a while, folks.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I will confess I don't get sushi - the fresher it is the less taste it has. I am such a peasant!!

It's beautiful, healthy, exotic and at some level dangerous but IT HAS NO FLAVOR.

No expert here, fifi, just my experiences:

Most Supermarket stuff, is the softneck varieties. I'll compare it too buying supermarket chile powder, and then toasting and grinding your own chiles into powder. It's night and day.

One huge diffrence between the hard and soft varities is when it's roasted. Soft neck cloves will be just about impossible to remove from the head, and render almost tasteless. On the other hand, the hardnecks are extremely aromatic while roasting, with a smooth mellow flavor when spread on a thick crutsy hunk of Italian bread.

If you have the ability and means to grow some, it's well worth your while. I've planted 30 lbs in the fall and harvested almost 100 lbs in August.

woodburner

My question is: is garlic truly seasonal

I believe it is. The growing till maturation is extremely long. Here in the Northeast, it plants in the fall (October) to develop a good root system. Growing resumes again during the very early day's of spring.

I am speaking of course of the hardneck varieties.

Maturation is late July, early August, and then a two week dry time.

It stores well in a cool place for about 4 months. I've read that if cloves are seperated and then froze, they could keep years, and retain freshness.

woodburner

Not all 'French Butter", is equal to the Butters of Normandy. During the period of the 'European Common Market", the various countries would basically dump products at very low prices to the Asian markets. There came a time during this period when we used to order Butter from Europe, at prices comparable to Lard, thru the brokers. We were fortunate being able to buy "French Normandy Butter [unsalted]", frozen delivered to Hong Kong for prices per Metric Ton delivered as low as $450.00 = 2240 pounds or about 50 cents per pound.

The first time we removed this butter from storage, and presented it to our Cooks and Bakers they immediately called us to come and check the Butter, as it wasn't frozen. They were concerned that if our whole shipment was delivered in this condition that it would quickly become rancid.

We went to our Cold Storage Warehouse, and checked all the Customs documents, as well as the stored Butter product. It was all appearently solidly frozed at about 10 degrees Farenheit. We opened one carton and brought it back to our Kitchen. Check the temperature upon arrival. It was at 24 degrees Farenheit as we drove back in a non-airconditioned car. To everyones amazement the Butter, was so rich that even frozen it was spreadable. We compared this with 'Danish Lurpak" Butter that was frozen, and thawed in our refrigerator. The Normandy Butter spread as good as the refrigerated Lurpak. The frozen Lurpak, was solidly frozen and had no spreadability.

Ever since then i've been enjoying French Normandy Butter, whenever it's been available. I hope that they don't change the forumla for the export markets. Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

OOOOPS ! I'm sorry I goofed and posted. the post i'd ment for 'French Butter" into the Garlic Thread.

And in my case it unforgivable sine I prepared and served, what evolved into several "Garlic", events the first 100% Garlic Menu, for the 'American Produce Dealers" Convention on behalf of "Gilroy's Garlic King".

The only item that didn't have Garlic, but appeared to be loaded with it was the "Fresh Apple/Cherry Strudel with Slivered Almonds", the almonds appeared and looked like slivers of fresh garlic. We were able to soften the almond slivers by poaching slowly in Frangelico Liquor, this garlic had a kick. Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Yes, as woodburner mentioned, quality garlic (which would be hardneck over softneck) is seasonal. It's shelf life is shorter and for optimum growth, it must be planted in the fall and exposed to cooler temps for the winter.

Your best bet to aquire quality hardneck garlic is to look for heirloom varieties at farmers markets in the fall or order them online from any of the sources provided above.

:smile: