• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rick Bayless and Burger King - Part 1

erica

Here's the full transcript:

(Opens with caption: Rick Bayless, 2-time Chef of the Year)

Bayless: We're here in LA's Grand Central Market shopping for great ingredients. Today's recipe starts with a southwest-style sauce, made from tomatoes (shot of tomatoes), onions (shot of onions), and poblano peppers (Bayless holds up pepper).

We also want some chicken, the kind you just can't resist when it's fire grilled. (Cut to shot of chicken with strange orangey-brown coating bubbling on grill.)

Finally, we need some warm, fresh-baked baguettes (cut to shot of knife cutting baguette) to put everything on...

(Shot of sandwich, pull back to Bayless sitting at a table in Burger King, a bottle of water on the table next to him) Well, you know... this isn't going to take as long as I thought. (Bayless bites into sandwich).

(Cut to shot of sandwich with caption: Santa Fe Chicken Baguette)

Voiceover: Introducing the new Santa Fe Chicken Baguette from Burger King.

(Cut to shot of Nutrition Facts label: Serving size 1 sandwich, Amount per Serving - Calories: 350, Total Fat 5g. Fat content is circled in red. Disclaimer at bottom of screen: Not a low sodium food. See complete nutritional info at bk.com or any restaurant.) Flavor from fire grilling, not from fat.

(Cut to black screen with BK logo.)

Voiceover: Come on over. The fire's ready.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

(Shot of sandwich, pull back to Bayless sitting at a table in Burger King, a bottle of water on the table next to him) Well, you know... this isn't going to take as long as I thought.  (Bayless bites into sandwich).

So is there is or is there ain't actual "bite action?"

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

(Shot of sandwich, pull back to Bayless sitting at a table in Burger King, a bottle of water on the table next to him) Well, you know... this isn't going to take as long as I thought.  (Bayless bites into sandwich).

i think we need one of those anatomically correct dolls here.

i think we need one of those anatomically correct dolls here.

Now point at the doll where the bad man bit you... :shock:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Looked to me like he bit but didn't rip - presumably so they could reuse the same sandwich in the next take - but I'll have a look at it again tonight.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Yes, it looks like he is about to...he has his mouth open and the sandwich in there as if he's going to take a bite, but there's no "bite action".  This sandwich is just...in his mouth.  It struck me as pretty odd now that I think of it.

what percentage of fast food commercials show actual bite action?

What's your yardstick? :blink:

In both the current Carl's Jr. campaign and in the new "I'm Lovin' It" McDonald's campaign (when they actually get to the point in the commercial where they show the young kids eating a burger), there's serious bite action going on. And chewing action, and dripping action...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm pretty sure that I saw him swallow.

But again I have only seen it one and a half times. The first time was just the ending and my neck spontaneously whipped my head back and I heard a weird animal sound come from the throat and found the face a grimace. The second time I think my head kind of sank and bobbed, shaking from side to side.

So I'm not certain.

But he did put it in his mouth.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Here's the full transcript:

(Opens with caption: Rick Bayless, 2-time Chef of the Year)

Bayless:  We're here in LA's Grand Central Market shopping for great ingredients.  Today's recipe starts with a southwest-style sauce, made from tomatoes (shot of tomatoes), onions (shot of onions), and poblano peppers (Bayless holds up pepper).

We also want some chicken, the kind you just can't resist when it's fire grilled. (Cut to shot of chicken with strange orangey-brown coating bubbling on grill.)

Finally, we need some warm, fresh-baked baguettes (cut to shot of knife cutting baguette) to put everything on...

(Cut to shot of sandwich with caption: Santa Fe Chicken Baguette)

Voiceover:  Introducing the new Santa Fe Chicken Baguette from Burger King. 

(Cut to shot of Nutrition Facts label:  Serving size 1 sandwich, Amount per Serving - Calories: 350, Total Fat 5g.  Fat content is circled in red.  Disclaimer at bottom of screen: Not a low sodium food.  See complete nutritional info at bk.com or any restaurant.)  Flavor from fire grilling, not from fat.

(Cut to black screen with BK logo.)

Voiceover:  Come on over.  The fire's ready.

So, it defenitly was a rif on his PBS show.

Thanks for posting the script.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I don't know if this has already been discussed, but what is the target audience of this commercial? Does BK actually think that the average Joe/Jane who goes to fast food joints would even have a clue about this dorky Rick Bayless guy? Sure, food geeks do, but they're not going to go to BK no matter what. Just wondering.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Yes, it looks like he is about to...he has his mouth open and the sandwich in there as if he's going to take a bite, but there's no "bite action".  This sandwich is just...in his mouth.  It struck me as pretty odd now that I think of it.

what percentage of fast food commercials show actual bite action?

What's your yardstick? :blink:

plain ol' biting.

i just watched it in slow mo on Tivo. the part where he eats the thing, not the whole thing. i've never seen such a fast fadeout as the one at the point where this sandwich hits his mouth. it's probably a 2 frame fade, or something technical-sounding like that.

it probably touched his mouth, but i don't think there was any real biting in this particular version. although in real life, how could he hold back, what with all of those fresh vegetables and irresistable chicken just millimeters away from his tongue and lips.

Edited by tommy (log)

Well, perhaps Rick deserves to eat one.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

i've never seen such a fast fadeout as the one at the point where this sandwich hits his mouth.  it's probably a 2 frame fade, or something technical-sounding like that.

I think the technical term is "before he starts to gag" :wacko:

JANE

i've never seen such a fast fadeout as the one at the point where this sandwich hits his mouth.  it's probably a 2 frame fade, or something technical-sounding like that.

I think the technical term is "before he starts to gag" :wacko:

As I said. Perhaps he deserves to eat one.

In a fire-grilled eternity of humiliation and horror!

/cough /cough

Sorry, MatthewB.

Hello all,

You may remember me from my visit as a guest on e-gullet when I was Chef at Heartbeat Restaurant at the W in NYC.

I'm now writing to you as a Board Member of Chef Collaborative in response to the excellent string of discussion that's been engaged here on e-gullet regarding Chez BK and Rick Bayless. I couldn't help but notice that there are some folks who wonder where the organization stands on this issue. Chefs Collaborative is preparing a statement regarding our position on these types of endorsements and we'll have something out soon. As your discussion string indicates, this is a very complicated issue.

That said; here is how I personally feel regarding this subject. My personal beliefs are:

When an individual founds and/or accepts a board or other leadership position for any public organization with a set charter -- code of ethics, if you will -- I believe that individual is obligated to conduct public business both within and outside of the organization according to the standards of the charter. This holds especially true when the charter is focused on pledging support to things like small-scale local farming, organics, sustainability, and the environment; or supporting other groups with similar beliefs.

Issues like the environment, supporting small farmers (most of whom struggle and desperately need support), artisan food production (there are some exceptional artisan burgers, though they are not found at BK), and wholesome food supply (again, not to be found at BK) are complex and charged with debate, however one thing is clear; nothing that BK is doing with its new sandwich program has anything to do with environmentally beneficial, wholesome, sustainable, artisanal food supply, which is what Chefs Collaborative is all about.

I must say that, regardless of Rick's taking the BK gig, he remains committed to supporting small local farmers and artisan producers through a foundation he has set-up which grants tens of thousands of dollars to small, local farmers and artisan producers in the Midwest so they can afford to build greenhouses, improve field facilities, etc. What he has done and continues to do to support artisan producers and their communities in Mexico is significant and inspirational. All of this he was doing before BK and continues to do now.

This unfortunate incident is a solemn example of the effects of a high-profile person's public decisions on the public who knows him, his colleagues, his peers, and even his own work.

Here are my own best-guess answers to some of the questions I've seen in this thread. Will Rick's work with small, local artisans continue? Yes. Will his restaurants continue to do well? Yes. Has this damaged his credibility as a chef? Not sure. Has it damaged his credibility as a voice in the world of sustainability? Yes. Was this a mistake? For Rick, only he knows and only time will tell.

I personally believe his decision to take the assignment has injured his professional credibility in a small, crucially important and growing part of the culinary world and, as a result, is distracting attention from the good things he's done and continues to do. I think it's damaging for him and, to me, makes little sense. While it's easy to be a Monday morning QB, I would have felt the same if I knew before it actually happened. The outcome of this match-up would have been an easy one to predict.

It is unfortunate that Rick's good works will be perceptively lessened by this endorsement.

I can also say, with exceptional personal confidence, that there is no relationship between the ideals of Chefs Collaborative and the ongoing realities of our Fast Food Nation.

Thanks for the time and the excellent forum.

Michel Nischan

Michel, I certainly do remember you.

Thank you for your very lucid and reasoned letter.

Both happily and sadly, it is only because of all of Bayless' good work that this gig with BK is an issue at all.

When an individual founds and/or accepts a board or other leadership position for any public organization with a set charter -- code of ethics, if you will -- I believe that individual is obligated to conduct public business both within and outside of the organization according to the standards of the charter. 

one thing is clear; nothing that BK is doing with its new sandwich program has anything to do with environmentally beneficial, wholesome, sustainable, artisanal food supply, which is what Chefs Collaborative is all about.

Michel, I think these are very eloquent and essentially definitive statements on the hypocrisy issue. However, I'd really like for you to go to Burger King, eat one of these things, and tell us what you think of it. Because while I think it is particularly outrageous for a Chefs Collaborative board member to endorse a Burger King sandwich, I also think it's wrong for any serious chef -- even a chef who hates nature, loves pesticides, and secretly wishes for the destruction of all small farmers -- to do so, simply because the sandwich isn't good enough to warrant a serious chef's endorsement.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

In his post Michel Nischan made it very clear that he was addressing this issue from a personal perspective but it'll be interesting to see if CC asks Chef Bayless to resign or if they will look the other way. Perhaps they'll simply 'spin' their own statement and move on.

But, in the light of Michel Nischan's comments, not asking him to resign could be perceived as an acceptance of Bayless' actions by the CC.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Hm.

Asking Chef Rick, who forks out hard cash for the cause, to step down or cease and desist because he accepted filthy lucre from BK would be, would be...

Hm. Wuzzat?

Oh, yes.

Kind of a moral quandry, wouldn't it?

Right now, the only way out that I can see is for RB to say something like... "I really shouldn't have done that." Then donate the money to one of his causes.

(Damn... That picture is worse the second time around.)

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Holy Shit!!!

Thank you for posting that picture!!!

This is amazing, really.

I Have gone to sleep for months, having nightmares, with vivid images of my restored Porsche going up in smoke, in front of my eyes.

Finally, I now have seen something that top's one of the most horrific visuals of my life.

Is that a sandwich??

HA HA HA

woodburner

ps. looks like some hard used 10W-40 on the top of the bun. Maybe Citgo, at that. :laugh: