• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Biodynamie?

In another thread you mention that you're using biodynamie in some of your vineyards. Which particular Bonny Doon wines are made (or will be made) from these vineyards? Has there been a difference in quality or is it too early to tell?

Edited by Felonius (log)

Hmmm, somehow the rest of my question seems to have been swallowed by the E-gullet.

In another thread you mentioned that you're starting to use biodynamie in your vineyards. I was wondering what particular wines are made (or will be made) from these vineyards. Also, since starting with the biodynamie (biodynamique??) approach, have you noticed improved quality or is it too early to tell?

When I first heard about Biodynamie from the winemaker at Meo-Camuzet, I have to admit it sounded a bit like something from "Dionne Warwick's Psychic Friends Network". After tasting a few Burgundies made by folks using Biodynamie, I became a believer.

Dear Felonioius,

For the moment it is only our Estate vineyard in Soledad that is being farmed biodynamically and we are really in the earliest stages. It will take at least two or three years for the differences to really show up dramatically, I am told. We are farming a very eclectic range of grapes in our vineyard so a little bit ends up in a lot of our products, but for example, the Ca' del Solo Barbera and Freisa in a few years will be made from these grapes. I am trying a lot of other pretty radical practices in this vineyard, viz. dry-land farming (in ultra arid conditions) that will either be spectacularly successful (or not). I have also noticed a great difference in wines made from grapes that are farmed biodynamically. They are richer in minerals and just seem to be a lot more expressive. I am very, very enthusiastic about this project moving forward. Cheers, RG