• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Perfect Sandwich

Jinmyo

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

strange.

stranger yet is someone from the UK suggesting how to make a sandwich. :shock:

Well, they did invent sandwiches. Not that this necessarily counts for much. They also invented the chip buttie.

Edited by fresco (log)
Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I believe that "vegetable margarine" is being used to describe pickles, like Branston's which is a kind of chutney.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I believe that "vegetable margarine" is being used to describe pickles, like Branston's which is a kind of chutney.

If that's the case, might "cheddar cheese" be describing tuna salad?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Is this an obscure Britishism? I thought vegetable margarine was, well, vegetable margarine.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

They also invented the chip buttie.

i should add this to my list of things i don't get.

"i'll have some starch in my starch please."

Shades of "Big Night" when the lady customer demands a side of spaghetti to go with her risotto.

Uno: "I suppose next she's gonna want a baked potato?"

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I rather thought this item on the edinburghnews.com site was funny as well:

http://www.edinburghnews.com/uk.cfm?id=1087852003

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

They also invented the chip buttie.

i should add this to my list of things i don't get.

"i'll have some starch in my starch please."

Shades of "Big Night" when the lady customer demands a side of spaghetti to go with her risotto.

Uno: "I suppose next she's gonna want a baked potato?"

Risotto, you see, is a starch... it... doesn't really go with spaghetti. Sometimes spaghetti likes to be by itself.

--

Haven't looked at the article yet, but I'd like to point out that the sum of the parts is only .999 -- is this a rounding error, or is that .001 something the secret ingredient that makes it perfect??  :hmmm:

Perhaps the .001 is love.

(barf)

--

Is this an obscure Britishism? I thought vegetable margarine was, well, vegetable margarine.

:biggrin:

I've seen "marg" used to describe various kinds of spreads. :blink:

Here's another article.

It contradicts itself:

Made with strong or mature cheddar on medium, pre-sliced round-top white bread with a thin spread of butter and cut diagonally, the sandwich beats all comers.

And then:

According to the survey of 500 people, the perfect sandwich must be made from two slices of medium-thick, pre-sliced round-top white bread, with 3g of vegetable margarine spread on each. Sandwich makers should then use 17g of pickle before slicing up 28g of mature or strong cheddar cheese into 2mm thick strips.

In any case, by vegetable marg, they just mean marg.

Gah.

Update:

A scientist has calculated the optimum thickness for a slice of cheese to make the perfect cheese sandwich, according to a study.

And again with the margarine.