• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amish Country

sandra

I did a quick search and did not find much info, maybe it's hiding from me....

My parents are heading over this weekend and I'd like to give them some ideas.... I have never been, but I have heard tales of tables laden with food....

Any suggestions must-eat restaurants or stops??

Thanks

splm

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Frankly, this really is not an area for culinary delights. A lot of the restaurants around serve large quantities of "comfort food", turkey with dressing, prime rib, all-american with little creativity.

The best thing to do is try to get a dinner at the home of an Amish family. You will sit at a community table with about 15 people, be able to chat with strangers, and get a home-cooked interesting meal. Most of them do not advertise, you have to get their names from the Tourist Board in Lancaster. We did this a few years ago with a person nbamed Deedee Meyers, but I understand she no longer does them. But they still go on, and this is probably the best bet for an interesting meal and experience.

I say you are WRONG. Amishland is loaded with great spots. Good and Plenty (http://www.goodnplenty.com/) and Plain and Fancy (http://www.millerssmorgasbord.com/millers_text.html)

as well as Miller's offer good food. I got hooked on the pork roast with sauerkraut. This may not be haute cuisine but its good rib sticking food. Millers is a buffet while Good and Plenty and Plain and Fancy are sit down family style. The mashed potatoes were REAL with cream and butter. Millers is best to go to when it is first open, thats the best seating so to speak. In East Earl, there is also Shady Maple which is a grocery store, five and dime and furniture store as well as a huge buffet. Thats one I would go to first thing in the morning and BRING an ice chest with ICE. They make this great apple sausage thats soooo good.

I live right near Lancaster. Been all over, tasted quite a bit.

One of my Amish customers took me to Yoder's on Rt. 23 near New Holland. It was a basic buffet type of place with very good comfort food. The fried chicken there was probably the best I've ever had.

JT, you said I was wrong, and then you proceeded to agree with me! I did say that there are restaurants with copious quantities of "comfort food" that abound in Lancaster County;

If anyone knows of an Amish family that serves dinners in their house, could you kindly provide the name and address here-- I think these are very unique and worthwhile... Thanks.

Edited by menton1 (log)

Can't vouch for anything other than breakfast, but Haag's in Shartlesville, PA has an incredibly good family-style Pennsylvania Dutch breakfast. Who can quibble with a place where tapioca comes out as a breakfast appetizer? :raz:

Also in the area, I like Risser's Diner on Route 422 in Stouchsburg, PA--great Schnitz und Knepp, an old Pennsylvania Dutch recipe made with dried apples, ham and dumplings.

I think there's great comfort food to be had in this region.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

In East Earl, there is also Shady Maple which is a grocery store, five and dime and furniture store as well as a huge buffet.

This is a VERY popular place and there is a great volume of food and good value, but in some respects it's Cracker Barrel gone horribly wrong. I eat there sometimes, however, because it's the favorite destination food for the in-laws. :biggrin:

Strap on the all-you-can-eat feedbag! :rolleyes:

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Have been living and eating in Lancaster Co all my life. People ALWAYS ask for an "Amish Restaurant" There just is no such thing. As another poster says Amish and Mennonite families do host meals for a price in their homes. The Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society on Lincoln Highway East is the place to go to check this out. The Mennonite Historical Socitey, in one of the greatest statements of what Lancaster County has become, is right across the street from Starbucks, yes Starbucks.

The places folks have mentioned are typical Lancaster County food places. I think Shady maple is better by far than Millers. ALL of these place exit for the tourist trade and their kitchens are of typical tourist quality. There are many fine places to eat in the area that do not proport to be of Pa Dutch style. Those are were we go. if anyone wants i can mention some of them. However, if you go to any of the places mentioned, prepare to be underwhelmed. The cuisene prepared perfectly will never result in wows. It is understated in flavors, and high in calories.

..... There are many fine places to eat in the area that do not proport to be of Pa Dutch style. Those are were we go. if anyone wants i can mention some of them.  .....

Please. That would be great.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

I say you are WRONG. Amishland is loaded with great spots. Good and Plenty (http://www.goodnplenty.com/) and Plain and Fancy (http://www.millerssmorgasbord.com/millers_text.html)

as well as Miller's offer good food. I got hooked on the pork roast with sauerkraut.

Uh, when did the Amish get web sites? I thought electricity was a rarity. Just wondering.

Edited by jwagnerdsm (log)

For a dinner with a Mennonite or Amish family the Mennonite infomation center is definately your best resource,as mentioned. If you want an all-you can eat buffet then Millers or Shady Maple are the better choices. Shady maple is a better value, but very basic comfort food. Millers is slightly more upscale but still very basic choices. For a good diner type place serving authentic Pennsylvania dutch foods try the Akron diner in Akron Pa

In reply to request about Lancaster co eats.

In Lancaster city, Gibraltor on Harrisburg Pike across from F&M College, excellent seafood and some of the best service the area has. Nice if expensive wine list. Also, Mullbery Park Cafe, more of abistro menu, but they have chilli crusted tuna that may be my favorite plate in town, nice atmosphere wine are standard but not overpriced. Next, right beside the Central Market is Carr's. Outstanding use of fresh local products very good beef abd game entrees.

Lots of people including me like Lemon Grass thai on Lincoln Highway, There ar other good and cool places in Lancaster and i will poat moe later

..... There ar other good and cool places in Lancaster and i will poat moe later

Thanks. Looking forward to more.

So far, I've found The Loft, The Cabin and Strawberry Hill.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Strawberry Hill, wonderful wine list, lancasters best, the owner used to give tours of the cellar but i believe he stopped due to shrinkage issues. The Loft is owned by chef Gunter Backhaus who long ago was chef at the old host farm resort. He is in the kitchen most of the time and the menu reflections what works well in lancaster. a traditional place to go for many. nice setting with good service

Ah, the log cabin. For a long time I thought and told people this was lancaster best and it is still highly thought of. the food is still pretty good, but i feel the service is really lacking. some of the younger staff need seasionig and to loose the chip from their shoulders. Still a lovely place in a beautiful setting and i think worth a try.

A couple of other quick mentions. Donneckers in ephrata, chef is Greg gable who worked at le bec fin under perrier. hes from the area and has come home to run this kitchen. i have not been there since he took over but i hear nothing but good comments. the menu is not le bec fin like, but i think more of a bistro style.

Lombardos in lancaster, old style red sauce place but a plate of rigatoni with red sauce and hot sausage is one of my favorites. Brothers and Sister on s marshall offers what i gues is still called soul food in an authentic and very tasty fashion

That's it for now but the Pa Dutch style food is authentic to the area. it should not be ignorded by visitors. Since I grew up with it i guess i look for something else whrn i go out. There are more spots around town i like and will try to post more if people want. Lancaster is not Philadelphia. Not large enough to support that varied a scene. However good eats are around

Lombardos in lancaster, old style red sauce place.....

Thanks for the tips, Mike. I'll try Donecker's next time I'm in Lancaster.

I tried Lombardo's once and went away wondering why the place was so popular.

-- Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone please provide information on where to get a community Amish meal in a private family's house? I had one of these a few years ago with Dee Dee Meyers, but it seems that she no longer gives these dinners.

They are a wonderful experience, I would appreciate info on who still conducts these dinners.

As stated above thr lancaster Mennonite Historical Society is the place for help with this matter they are located just off rt 30 across the street from the starbucks near the tanger outlet center. since there number is in the directory i will post it as well, 717-393-9745, they can also provide guides who will ride in your vehicle to give you real insight to the area not just the tourist business sites

• 9 months later...

My family and some friends are traveling to Philly and environs for a brief tour, including a half-day in Lancaster county. I am excited by the possibility of dining with an Amish family and today called the Mennonite Historical Society as suggested. The woman who answered had no idea what I was referring to, but she directed me to the Mennonite Information Center (717-299-0954) where I was given the names and phone number of a couple who either host such dinners or are contacts for the arranging of them. Haven't yet called them so I can't report the further details. Thanks for the lead.

Additionally, here's a quote someone sent to me, not sure whether he got it from this site:

One other chouce [sic] is to have dinner with an Amish Family. Most B&B's can arrange this for you. You join others and eat in their home. Call 1-800-PADUTCH for more info from the Lancaster County Visitors Bureau.

Something to think about at one of those Amish family dinners. You will be asked for a "donation" and told to place it under the plate so as not to sully the Amish with money. Guess what, they are having you in their homes for dinner for one reason. To make money. Any chance that kitchen was inspected by local authorities? Think they have a license? Wonder if the dishes and silver are santized as the law requires? Wonder if it is fair to business owners who do have to pay for all those things. If you want to do it go ahead. Just remember you are eating in what is really an unlicensed and uninspected restaurant.

If you think it is some neat cultural excahnge deal, think again. The food MAY be authentic, but it is a businees transaction you are involved in

For dessert - The Strasburg Creamery for a handmade sugarcone. My wife issued a guttural moan as she bit into the spicy crisp cone and fresh blackberry ice cream. The old lady next to us said "I'll have what she's having." Or maybe that was a movie, but the ice creamand the cones kicked.

The Creamery

Our weekends in and around Amish country usually means days spent with Thomas the Tank Engine or in barns full of antiques - both noble pursuits mind you - but not necessarily Dad's choice. Dinner usually involved beer - Dad's choice. We had a nice meal and very good beer on the deck at Bube's Brewery in Mount Joy. I understand some of the beer dinners and events they do there are quite fun.

More Beer

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me