• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Really bad bartenders

JAZ

Let's remember this "large, public forum" can accomadate several points of view.  Just because one is complaining about all of the bad bartenders doesn't mean one is a smoldering psychopath, just as if one is complaining about the plentitude of bad customers doesn't mean one is spitting in the drinks they make, right?  And really.  The good ones stick out much better than the bad ones do (barkeeps that is, though probably customers too) because they are so rare.  Let's not take everything as a personal attack and get defensive or turn things into popularity contests or divide up into cliques.  We're all grownups and should be happy to have a little diversity of opinion in the crowd, it's a healthy thing... who knows, we might end up learning something useful.

For the record, I started a thread here about places to go to get a good, classic drink, the assumption being that it meant they had good barkeeps.  There were only a few takers, JAZ being one of them.  Please add to the list.

regards,

trillium

:blink::biggrin: Did I ever make that sort of accusatory statement? Or is it being attributed? personal, really?

Okay, all silliness and surprise aside.

I posted food for thought to assist in a better exchange between barkeep and guest. Discussion is good. And on a truly personal note, I'm far from making it on a personal level. I simply do not maintain those sorts of experiences or problems. Just opening up the possibilities for x, y or z from the old, never dying trial advocate training of 12 years or so and my bartending in the trenches from what I've observed, both on the customer's part and service staff.

And what popularity contests? Where did that enter into a lack of equipment or effective communication?

trillium, no offense intended, but you're preaching to the choir. :wink:

[The fact is, that the customer is usually an ignorant dolt, who doesn't know the difference between Brandy and Whiskey.

I hope you're not on the other side of whatever bat I end up in tonight.

I thought that condescending attitude was reserved for sommeliers (kidding, Mark) and Maitre d's still trapped in the 60s.

Busboy,

Please don't misunderstand our dear Robert. He's a man of outstanding, discerning and impeccable taste. A fearless man devouted to exploring and seeking the real truth to demystify cocktail myth and lore! An ethereal purist that enthusiastically and happily shares the knowledge and understanding of his Holy Grail of quests!!

Yes, and one I respect and admire. :wub: (Who couldn't of one acknowledged in hard book copy by a publication from KingCocktail master, Dale DeGroff?

[/end of public display of gushing]

It's all good! :smile:

I've seen my friend order a martini and the bartender poured the gin into the martini glass, and then when he realized his mistake poured the glass down the sink.

:blink:

You mean warm, straight Gin? Or that they used Gin? And where else are they to pour mistakes? Back into the bottle?

Straight Gin, it was Tanquery's Ten too -- the bartender didn't know what it was at first (which usually spells trouble)

He grabbed the Martini glass, placed it on the bar mat, took his shotglass, grabbed the ten, poured the two oz into the shotglass then transferred INTO the martini glass before we could tell him you have to stir it ... when he realized his mistake, he took the martini glass and poured pretty much 6 dollars worth of high quality gin down the sink

He should have saved that Gin for at least the next person ordering something with two oz of Gin, his spillage at the end of the night probably got him canned.

I hope you're not on the other side of whatever bat I end up in tonight.

I thought that condescending attitude was reserved for sommeliers (kidding, Mark) and Maitre d's still trapped in the 60s.

Busboy...

I am not a bartender, but a customer. And so if I want to say that most customers are ignorant dolts, then who better qualified? :->

And the truth of the matter is that most bartenders that I encounter are ignorant dolts as well. So there :-> :->

I had a bartender just the other day tell me that you really couldn't make any good cocktails with bourbon.

"Why?" I asked him, with perhaps just a little bit of shock in my voice.

"Because it is a brown liquor, and you shouldn't shake drinks made with brown liquor." he replied with an attitude of athority.

"Really? Where did you learn that?"

"Oh, it was just something I read somewhere."

....sheeeshhhh. And this was a fine-dining restaurant, owned by one of the cities more celebrated chef's.

-Robert

www.DrinkBoy.com

Straight Gin, it was Tanquery's Ten too -- the bartender didn't know what it was at first (which usually spells trouble)

He grabbed the Martini glass, placed it on the bar mat, took his shotglass, grabbed the ten, poured the two oz into the shotglass then transferred INTO the martini glass before we could tell him you have to stir it ...

run up and slap that newbie! :shock::raz::laugh: (only kidding for those that took this seriously!)

Alcohol abuse!

Yes, what a sin to waste such a perfectly lovely spirit, but that's the expense of hiring a neophyte without the benefit of comprehension prior to being out on stage to perform. Sad management creates some of these instances. That's the do or die point and I've seen many sink. :sad: Worst was a girl who talked out of the wrong side of her mouth got and schmoozed a shift behind the busy 6-bartender army to work the [long ago, *sniff*] old times of Cleveland Indians' World Series games. Our head bartender made her leave after she asked what was in a 7 and 7. Poor girl, but lesson learnt. (and we were the first bar after exciting Jacobs Field's gates).

Welcome to eG Ol Dirty Chinaman! :smile:

On a serious note, perhaps not stated before as I should have.... (Clear Only If Known Syndrome = "COIK" .... :hmmm: )

Instead of hoisting unnamed bartenders up to be drawn and quartered, I offer up a different perspective for discussion that perhaps communication may have gone awry, but maybe not, too. Is it better to be mad that you had to coach that bartender to make a drink they weren't familiar with than to get something perfectly boak worthy served up in a glass? Is a real behind the scenes account or possible explanation not worth considering?

I only do so, as I've worked in just about any and every type of bar/food service establishment available and a thousand times more with various multi-tasking, walking database/encyclopedia aptitudes. Managed a few once or twice.... So let's discuss!

:cool:

Edited by beans (log)

Beans, I've had fun with some of our local bartenders and my Palm Pilot that I keep a lot of favorite drinks on plus the DrinkBoy program.

Robert is beaming with that NVNVGirl! He is, without a doubt, a peach. (sorry so corny Robert!) :wub:

Aren't little technological toys grand? I have a little bartender service (literally what it is called -- the little bartender :laugh: ) on my cell phone! There are a couple of obvious little typo boo boos, but nothing major and a coverage of most of the basic classics. Webtender can also be located via cellular and Pål has a lovely and comprehensive, drinkie database.

Oh my gosh, beans! I had no idea that Robert was REALLY DrinkBoy! How exciting for me! I LOVE his program (Robert, I LOVE your DrinkBoy!); it's started more conversations than I can remember ( well, they WERE in a bar after all :blush: ) and it comes in handy at home too. But on the other issue....I ADORE technology..where'd you find the little bartender? Wonder if it's available for the OS format? How cool is that? I feel like a walking encyclopedia when the bartenders ask me for obscure drink recipes and sports stats :cool:

Robert ~ how do you decide which drinks will be on your Palm Edition? Is there capability to put more on it or are you maxed out with what can be included? It's so great, congrats on such a fabulous product! :wub:

I spent most of my college years (and a few after) behind the mahogany. I can sum it up in some simple anecdotes.

• One good barback is better than 2 slow bartenders
    “Long Island Ice Tea” is code for “ I only have 10.00 bucks on me
    A party of 10 girls means 10 separate checks
    You will run out of singles
    Some people can’t have a good time
    It’s the world’s greatest part-time job

• 4 weeks later...
Oh, I've also seen bartenders not empty their ice tray after a glass breaks .... after I ordered a drink I bit my lip and talked to the manager, got free drinks all night  :laugh:

oh my god! this happened to a friend of mine down here after a night of clubbing..turned out somehow he'd swallowed some glass - it was touch and go til it passed out of his system.

Doesn't this belong on the really bad patrons thread? Or maybe everyone should take advantage of an establishment for the mistake of one of its obviously neophyte employees.

Bacon tastes good, porkchops taste good...

THE most unforgivable acts of a bartender are to:

#1. Not to (as soon as they can) acknowledge a new customer.

#2. Not pay attention to if my drink is low and needs refilling (my largest peeve)

#3. If guests join me, the bartender should welcome them and ask for their drink order.

I can forgive not knowing how to make a drink, improper drink making as one has to start somewhere. Of course this tolerance goes down the higher $ I'm paying for the drink.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

• 2 weeks later...

Our most recent bad bartender story ... we stopped in the Atlas Bar and Grill in Los Angeles recently, and I ordered a Maker's Mark Manhattan, WITH bitters, a healthy dash if you please, sir. The guy scratched his head and was looking all over the bar for the bitters, and then finally fond the small, paper-wrapped dasher bottle.

I had to stop him before he ended up putting Worcestershire sauce in my Manhattan.

Chuck

Chuck Taggart

The Gumbo Pages, New Orleans / Los Angeles

"New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms of sin." - Mark Twain, 1884

Bia agus deoch, ceol agus craic.