• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liqueurs

Wilfrid

Wilfrid- a quick answer:

Cordials and Liqueurs are synonymous.  The only difference between Liqueurs and other spirits is that a Liqueur must contain at least 2 1/2% sugar by weight.  Cordials with 2 1/2% sugar are considered dry, some cordials contain as much as 35% sugar by weight.  Basically Liqueur  is the European term and cordial is the American.  This is just the tip of the iceberg for this topic but I hope it helps.

Aperitifs from the latin aperio meaning to open are supposed to whet the appetite. Aperitifs are aromatized wines made by adding Mistelle (grape juice mixed with enough liquor to keep it  from fermenting) to mature wine.  This is why many aperitifs have varying proofs or % of alcohol.  Again just the tip of the iceberg, if you want more just ask.

This is the chartreuse web site and it's great. I adore the green, yellow and the VEP versions of both. All are available at Union Square Wines last time I checked. I was also fortunate to get a bottle of the original Elixir Vegetal which comes in a10cl bottle and is a whopping 71% alcohol. It is not sold in the states but readily available in France.

Oddly enough, one of the monks who used to make Chartreuse is now a parish priest at St. Josephs on 6th avenue in the village.

• 2 months later...
Favorites:  Amaretto.  Benedictine.  Cointreau is just a staple - essential stuff

I usually drink them at the end of the day, over just a little ice.  They are all fine poured over ice cream (or just about any dessert) too.

Good "last minute" dessert for dinner party:

Selection of liqueurs on silver tray...  couple of scoops ice cream in individual glasses....brandy glasses, or saucer champagne, or red wine glasses, or whatever you've got.  Pepperidge Farm rolled up cookies (can't remember name), or other cookies stuck in ice cream scoops, or lying on plate by stem of glass.

Everyone helps themself, thereby helping host/hostess immeasurably.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My absolute favorite Chartreuse is Chartreuse S.A.E. Tarragona.

I don't know my history well enough, but at one time the French monks had to go to Spain and thus the Chartreuse Tarragona. If any one can fill in the details, I would appreciate it.

I have never been able to locate any in the States and there is only one wine shop in Paris that I know sells it. Unfortunately, it is very, very expensive.

It was a favorite of Alain Chapel (that is where I first had it). F. Point at La Pyramide was also a lover of this Chartreuse Tarragona and there are some bottles there.

For the admirer of Limoncello....there is a great recipe in the special "Mediterranean" issue of Bon Appetit.  It's on newsstands now...pretty thing, turquoise border...photograph of "Spaghetti with Clams" on the cover.

The recipe for Limoncello says that it is "quite easy" and it indeed appears to be.  Beautiful, too, shining bright yellow in its clear bottle.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Basil Liquer is like creme de menthe.. mostly for those wanting cheap liquers with juvenile flavors.

No self respecting person would consider that trash worth mentioning.

Basil liqueur is in fact quite interesting, and coveted by many serious liqueur drinkers I know and respect.  I'm sure, as with most things, there are crappy ones and good ones.  Which have you tried, and from where?

The producer Clear Creek Distillery out of Oregon makes pear brandy.  Not sweet in the least, I suppose it would be considered an eau de vie, and pairs very will with tonic.  This producer makes, IMHO, a fabulous product.  The aroma of Bartlett pears is intoxicating, 40% alchohol in a 375 Mil. bottle for about $25.  You can get it at Crossroads (14th st bet 5-6th ave NYC)

i had some kind of pear liquer at union pacific in NYC last week.  it really smelled and tasted of pear, but it seemed like it was about 180 proof.  almost undrinkable.  unsippable even, and i'm no self respecting person.

(this has to be my last post of the day, I have to leave)  

T.

That was probably Clear Creek.  Thats why I said it mixes well with tonic.  Straight it'll put hair on your chest, and I really don't need that.  Its also good in cranberry juice.

S.

I love the Clear Creek Eau de Vie de Pommes.

Isnt that technically vodka? Its a distillate of potatoes, right?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

For the admirer of Limoncello....there is a great recipe in the special "Mediterranean" issue of Bon Appetit.  It's on newsstands now...pretty thing, turquoise border...photograph of "Spaghetti with Clams" on the cover.

The recipe for Limoncello says that it is "quite easy" and it indeed appears to be.  Beautiful, too, shining bright yellow in its clear bottle.

I love Limoncello.       I made some last summer and I  have some in my freezer for those hot nights. It's so good.

My recipe is from a apron (from Italy that I received last year) I used recipe below , since I didn't understand the italian/english directions.

I also make a wonderful cherry brandy..and I 'm working on a strawberry liquor. Just give me some vodka and some fruit.

From Allrecipes,

Limoncello

Submitted by: Michele O'Sullivan

Truly worth the time required to create this distinguished ice cold refreshing drink.

Servings: 34

Ingredients:

10  lemon

1 liter vodka

3 cups white sugar

4 cups water

Directions:

1. Zest the lemons, and place zest into a large glass bottle or jar. Pour in vodka. Cover loosely and let infuse for one week at room temperature.

2. After one week, combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. DO NOT STIR. Boil for 15 minutes. Allow syrup to cool to room temperature.

3. Stir vodka mixture into syrup. Strain into glass bottles, and seal each bottle with a cork. Let mixture age for 2 weeks at room temperature.

4. Place bottled liqueur into the freezer. When icy cold, serve in chilled vodka glasses or shot glasses.

---------------------------

I love Limoncello.       I made some last summer and I  have some in my freezer for those hot nights. It's so good.

My recipe is from a apron (from Italy that I received last year) I used recipe below , since I didn't understand the italian/english directions.

I also make a wonderful cherry brandy..and I 'm working on a strawberry liquor. Just give me some vodka and some fruit.

From Allrecipes,

Limoncello

Submitted by: Michele O'Sullivan

Truly worth the time required to create this distinguished ice cold refreshing drink.

Servings: 34

Ingredients:

10  lemon

1 liter vodka

3 cups white sugar

4 cups water

Directions:

1. Zest the lemons, and place zest into a large glass bottle or jar. Pour in vodka. Cover loosely and let infuse for one week at room temperature.

2. After one week, combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. DO NOT STIR. Boil for 15 minutes. Allow syrup to cool to room temperature.

3. Stir vodka mixture into syrup. Strain into glass bottles, and seal each bottle with a cork. Let mixture age for 2 weeks at room temperature.

4. Place bottled liqueur into the freezer. When icy cold, serve in chilled vodka glasses or shot glasses.

---------------------------

Recipe in Bon Appetit is similar:

Steep the peel (yellow part only) of two pounds of lemons in four cups 100-proof vodka in a large bowl for one week at room temperature.  Stir three cups sugar and 3 cups water in large saucepan over med heat until sugar dissolves; cool.  Add to vodka mixture and stir.  Strain the liquid into bottles; seal and chill for one month.  Pour into small glasses and enjoy.

I plan to try it as soon as the lemons ripen on my tree.

In Alaska, we made what we called "Northern Comfort" (cranberry liqueur).  It was made from "highbush cranberries" which elsewhere appear to be called lingonberries, and Everclear.  Boy, was it good.  Wonder how Everclear would work in Limoncello instead of the vodka.

but is it really possible to make good limoncello without Amalfi or Sorrento lemons? I mean, they TASTE different, right?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

but is it really possible to make good limoncello without Amalfi or Sorrento lemons? I mean, they TASTE different, right?

Well, I am no expert, but I have had Limoncello in Italy, including Capri, and I've tried to do some reading on it.  I have read that Meyer's Lemons work just fine.  But, who knows...without a taste test, can't say for sure.

My tree is a Meyers, and when they ripen, I'll give it a try.  One article that I read said to be certain if you make it with "store bought" lemons that they have no pesticides or other impurities on the peel.  So, I'm waiting for mine because I know what they've been subjected to...  just a little Texas rain.