• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liqueurs

Wilfrid

damn youre lucky. I wish we had a lemon tree. Can't do that in New Jersey, i'm afraid.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

damn youre lucky. I wish we had a lemon tree. Can't do that in New Jersey, i'm afraid.

Martha Stewart does (said in sing-song voice)  :biggrin:

She grows Meyer's Lemons in big pots on wheels, and hauls them inside when the weather turns cold.

So, here's what I'd suggest....  Because that sounds like way too much work, go chummy up Martha.

Oh, wait....that sounds like too much work as well.

(Actually, it does freeze in Austin, so my lemon tree is also in a big pot.  I don't really have a place to haul it in during the winter, and we don't get more than a few hard freezes a year, so when one is predicted, I hang a "trouble light" in it, and then cover it with an old blanket.)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Jaymes, you write well.  Even as you tried to attack me through Bourdain, you failed.  He did not buy your selling of Creme de menthe. It is tacky and  that is all most of the world thinks.

It is to the US what some syrupy drinks are to asia.

But I respect your taste in other stuff... you are all american and dynamic.

Jaymes, you write well.  Even as you tried to attack me through Bourdain, you failed.  He did not buy your selling of Creme de menthe. It is tacky and  that is all most of the world thinks.

It is to the US what some syrupy drinks are to asia.

But I respect your taste in other stuff... you are all american and dynamic.

Sir/Madam:

You are mistaken.  I have no desire to "attack" you.  Where you are concerned, if I have any desire at all, it is minimal, and that would be to disuade you from utilizing in such a negative fashion whatever "talent" you say you possess.

If we all here assume, as we should, that everyone has something positive to contribute (such as the potato salad recipe you mentioned in that thread, and for which I have been watching), I would hope that you would begin to contribute that, rather than the most unhappy, unfortunate, demeaning and personal of attacks.  

For example, to say, as does Bourdain, that he prefers something else (in his case Calvados), is not the same as referring to someone's enjoyment of a thing as "juvenile."  (Although, frankly, I find "juvenile" to be in the same spirit as "youthful" and a condition to which I constantly aspire.  So, had you said that of me, I would have considered it to be the highest of compliments.)

Rather than denegrating someone else, you are clearly smart enough to be capable of mentioning something you DO enjoy.  That adds to the discourse, and would help you to look like the genius you think you are, rather than the ass people suspect you might be.

The reason I requested that Bourdain respond to your initial query regarding his opinion of Creme de Menthe and Basil Liqueur was not because I thought they would be his dearest fondness.  They are not my very favorites either (although I do recall the first half of a pleasant evening downing Stingers in a hotel bar in Medellín; the last half of the evening escapes me).  Rather than assuming Bourdain would sing the praises of these two liqueurs, I felt certain the question would enlist the kind of positive response that indeed it did ("I prefer something else").  I was in hopes that you would notice the difference between his reponse and yours, which was to simply insult, rather than to offer an alternative.

I have just arrived at eGullet and certainly cannot express an opinion on behalf of its owners, founders, long-time members.  But as for me, I am still in hopes that you will relax, sit back, and think of wonderful and positive thoughts and suggestions to contribute to this site.  You might find it a very enjoyable place to be.

And post that potato salad recipe you promised.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My absolute favorite Chartreuse is Chartreuse S.A.E. Tarragona.

I don't know my history well enough, but at one time the French monks had to go to Spain and thus the Chartreuse Tarragona. If any one can fill in the details, I would appreciate it.

I have never been able to locate any in the States and there is only one wine shop in Paris that I know sells it. Unfortunately, it is very, very expensive.

It was a favorite of Alain Chapel (that is where I first had it). F. Point at La Pyramide was also a lover of this Chartreuse Tarragona and there are some bottles there.

I am quoting myself in the hopes that someone can fill me in on the details re Chartreuse Tarragona.

I really like Becherovka from the Czech Republic.  I was very happy to find a couple of places to buy it in Seattle.  It's another of those secret blends of herbs and spices that was apparently sold as medicine in the 1800s.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Yes, you can have a lemon tree in NJ. I got myself a dwarf meyers lemon tree from four wind growers. It was inside all winter, it has teeny tiny lemons on it.

As far as limoncello, i made this last year using organic lemons, my mom says it pretty close to the version she was served in Italy.

If you would like a small sample( I'm very stingy with this), drop over .

In Alaska, we made what we called "Northern Comfort" (cranberry liqueur).  It was made from "highbush cranberries" which elsewhere appear to be called lingonberries, and Everclear.  Boy, was it good.  Wonder how Everclear would work in Limoncello instead of the vodka.

Ohhh, ligonberries..That must be yummy. I plan to try something with Raspberries and or blackberries.

Everclear would be fine- just a heck more potent. The Limoncello seems to have quite a kick to me.

• 4 weeks later...

In the winter I really like Benedictine, Tuaca or Drambuie. Makes you feel all warm and cozy :smile:

In the summer straight liquers are a bit heavy and sweet, so I choose a fruity one like Framboise or Casis and mix with champagne.

I find most liqueurs a bit much by themselves, but many are essential in cocktails: Marachino (wonderful and clear, not red syrupy), Cointreau and Chartreuse to name a few.