• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oh God, why did we open that?

Carema

A recent laundry load that invloved a baking soda and vinegar soaked jacket (in a film canister it becomes a sort of rocket) plus 200 Yu-Gi-Oh Cards in the pocket (net worth about 20 bucks) and then after, two hours of ironing the aformentioned cards (you will understand this if you have 8 year old male children) reminded me of a hazy night in 1989 where a 1985 DRC and a 1978 Jaboulet La Chapelle (net worth not sure of) were uncorked when really, everclear or Bush beer would have sufficed. What was the most expensive stupid thing you ever uncorked in the nightmarish fugue of a forgotten drunken evening? Unfortunately this happened in Iowa and we might have been eating Oreos.

over it

The fatefull night of the new millenium I was still a foolish senior in high school. Having had waaaaaaay to much to drink i decided to creep into my house and obscound with more champagne. after bumbling through the living room, teetering down the hall and smacking my head against the wine closet door i reached the promised land. Bottle upon glorious bottle of Perrier Jouet Fleur 1993 entered my arms and prepared itself for the short trip too my stomach. While snatching four bottles of bubbly was bad enough, it was what i dropped on my mad dash out the front door that truly killed my mother, her two "special" bottles of Yquem, an 81(my birth year) and an 82(my parents 10 yr anniversary). The worst part is that they were grabbed only because we thought it looked like golden syrup, which we knew had to be tasty. Well that and it was in French and I thought it must be good. Little did our high school minds know of fine wine...Ah the fun of and stupidity of youth :biggrin:

i still have yet to live this down with my mother...

casey

The fatefull night of the new millenium I was still a foolish senior in high school. Having had waaaaaaay to much to drink i decided to creep into my house and obscound with more champagne. after bumbling through the living room, teetering down the hall and smacking my head against the wine closet door i reached the promised land.  Bottle upon glorious bottle of Perrier Jouet Fleur 1993 entered my arms and prepared itself for the short trip too my stomach. While snatching four bottles of bubbly was bad enough, it was what i dropped on my mad dash out the front door that truly killed my mother, her two "special" bottles of Yquem, an 81(my birth year) and an 82(my parents 10 yr anniversary). The worst part is that they were grabbed only because we thought it looked like golden syrup, which we knew had to be tasty. Well that and it was in French and I thought it must be good. Little did our high school minds know of fine wine...Ah the fun of and stupidity of youth  :biggrin:

i still have yet to live this down with my mother...

casey

Yikes. Well, start saving up. On their next significant anniversary you'll have to replace them. :biggrin:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

This may not fit exactly but here goes. I was out at dinner in a then fancy restaurant, that has since gone. They had on their wine list 1959 and 1961 Latour and Lafitte. Isaid to the waiter, boy if someone were to order those they must call ahead and ask you to stand them up and decant them. He replied: A short time before he had 4 people come in after playing a round of golf, and drinking the whole round. Beer no less. They were quite schloshed by the time they arrived. They ordered both bottles, at that time they were $550.00 and $600.00 each. 20 years ago that was a pretty penny. The waiter said he wanted to take the bottles in the back and switch the wine for a cheap red anything. The people were so drunk he said they would never have known. He could not bring himself to do it. He said that he decanted the two bottles and brought the balance of the wine to the table. He poured the wine for them during the course of the evening. He noticed that when the decanted wine was finished one of the guys poured the dregs into two of the empty glasses and the undrinkable was consumed. He said the bill was about $1600.00 which was put their credit card, Can you imagine what they must have thought when they were sober and probanly didn't even remember anything about the evening. That took place in the early 80's. Glad it wasn't me, at least I don't think it was.

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

I'm not sure that can be topped. I know I can't :laugh:

This trumps any story I could even invent on a drunken writing binge... :blink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

1974 Vintage Dom Perignon belonging to my parents, when in high school (circa 1989). This was at 3AM digestif to about a dozen beers and God knows what else ingested.

Luckily they "didn't really care for Champagne" and more or less let me go free when discovered.

[ed. 4 sp.]

Edited by malcolmjolley (log)

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

Back in 1997 I decided to hold a 1978-1993 Bordeaux tasting of the best wineries for my clients.

Nobody was ready for this, not the customers nor I for the remarks that still wake me up at night.

I used every little drop of patience I had to "defend" the best GC at an excellent shape !

After a sleepless night one of the customers who attended the tasting dropped in to express his disappointment.

I told him I was disappointed too.

"You agree then" he smiled.

I explained that my disappointement comes from him.

Never so him again.

Never felt better in my life.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Half or even three quarters of the fun of a great wine is sharing it with others who will appreciate it, just so long as there aren't so many that you don't get any for yourself :smile: .

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Not really, why did we open that, but the Oh God bit is right.

I was in someone's cellar and was discussing some of the old bottles there. He had 5 or 6 bottles that had been passed down from his father (who had them passed down to him). Not knowing what they were (no label) and not being able to see what the cork said we decided to open on.

It was in a funny bottle. Not exactly Bordelais and not exactly port - somewhere in the middle. The person's who cellar it was thought it might have been an old port. Pulled the cork and discovered that it was an 1865 Kirwan.

Emergency action took place then as we suspected that it would not last very long - dashed for the glasses and the 2 of us drunk it within 20 minutes, which was lucky as by that time it was really fading. Seem to remember that the nose was a little appely, the colour was fantastic and akin to something in the 1970s. A really nice drop but a shame that more could not have joined in with us :wink: