• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Truffles in England

Having only returned back here in the last year, I'm interested if anyone has any good contacts - other than restaurant wholesale and Harvey Nichols - for white truffles this winter; bad season and weather aside.

Maybe I'll be able to scrape one together for a meal...

All help appreciated!

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

And this week's Borsa del Tartufo -- see www.albatartufi.com, where you can sign up for these e-mail updates -- says (my loose translation):

Summer truffles, EUR 450.00 per kg; indicative price for specimens of 20gr, price expected to rise.

By now, customers have started to become aware of the shortage of product on the market and also of the alternatives -- frozen, in brine, or simple substitutions of things other than truffles -- that help people cope with their needs for fresh truffles in times like these. Current prices remain unchanged from last week, but it is tough to guess how prices will behave as the first week of the White Truffle Fair begins.

White Alba truffles, EUR 3000.00 per kg, indicative price for specimens of 20/25g; price expected to rise.

We are in the week before the start of the national White Truffle Fair of Alba. Those in the business ask themselves how the market will react to high prices, especially in a time of economic downturn. At the same time, good product remains difficult to find. Thus, contrary to what we forecast last week, the price hasn't risen in accordance with the expected increase in demand. Only from Monday, as the fair begins, will we be able to take a view on price, based on demand in the first few days of the fair.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

And the white truffle price continues to rise. Today's quote from the Borsa del Tartufo (www.albatartufi.com) is EUR 3,800 per kilo.

The White Truffle fair is under way, and sales in the first week were not unusual, but there is steady demand (and increasing prices) especially for speciments of medium-to-high quality.

Jonathan Day

I have only received the Borsa prices since early this year, after the white truffle season closed. They also track black truffles, summer truffles and a few other variants.

But a little eGullet archaeology turned up the following, which I posted in October of last year (but very early in the season; the post was referring to a visit in late September):

I found truffles at Borough Market, priced ... at £1000 / kg. At around the same time Stefano Cavallini was selling slightly larger ones for £1600, and Carluccio even larger ones at £2000.

About five years ago I remember buying a white truffle from Carluccio for £2400/kg. At the time, the prices in France and Italy came out to USD/EUR 2400, thus reinforcing the "dollar equals a pound" principle of shopping in Britain, which fortunately no longer holds as much as it did.

Riva, in Barnes, used to have lots of white truffle dishes in season. I haven't checked to see whether they are offering them yet.

Jonathan Day

The River Cafe are doing taglierini w/ w. truffles at £38 for 5 grams and a whopping £75 for 10 grams.

Blimey, and then some.

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

No no -

the white truffle's still a perfectly reasonable 2500 quid a kilo.

It's the taglierini that's 5000 quid a kilo!

The parmegiano is entirely complimentary, however.

Edited by MobyP (log)

Flickr Food

• 3 weeks later...

Popped into Harrods today, and sidled up to the counter. The very nice gentleman showed me his selection, opening up the tupperware box, and unwrapping each truffle, and the whole of the room was immediately filled with that smell. Ah, it was beautiful.

How much, I goes.

4,000, he says.

A kilo - I intone?

Aye, he sputters.

Argh, I cough.

Aye, he repeats.

He pulls one out, about twice the size of a golfball. I start thinking about what sort of overdraft I can afford, without my wife noticing and attacking me in the night with a sushi knife. My hand, like a cheap Hammer House of Horror flick, starts inching towards my wallet. My prefrontal cortex hangs a sign: out to lunch. No hope for rational thought. Feel myself quickly sinking. Shortness of breath.

How much, I whisper.

248 pounds, he announces chirpily.

Argh, I cough.

Aye, he sputters.

Sigh, I sigh.

Flickr Food

I just came back from Rome and there were NO white truffles displayed in the shops that normally have them.

Additionally a couple of restaurants that were serving them were charging 75 euros for the tagliatelle with tartufi. (as opposed to about 45 which is the normal price).

Given that they are probably of lower quality than normal, I decided against my normal plate or two and bought some better wine instead.