• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

new orleans

chopjwu12

Ok i have a task for you new orleaners. My inlaws are going out to the city and want to know where to go. Price isn't really an issue but id like to know people top choice for fine dining, casual dining, and the cheap eats. They are there for 4 days so they have time to eat at a couple of places so please dont be shy. Thanks

I dont live in new Orleans so when I go I make sure every meal counts!

Fine dining, Peristyle (quarter) is great make sure you ask for BJ to wait on you.

Bistro Maison deVille(quarter) for an incredible lunch. Patrik is the quintecential New Orleans Maitre'd a personality not to be missed.

Herbsaint(CBD) has great food, I have been there 3 times and have never been disappointed. Even better--it's cheap.

Gabrielle (Mid-City) has been on my tops list for 6 to 7 years.

The only Emeril restaurant worth visiting is NOLA(quarter). Ask to sit at the chef's counter and Neil will give you a show.

One last--Lu Lu's(quarter). About 6 tables outside and 2 inside. Its a 1/2 block from Bourbon street but you cant hear any of the noise or smell any of the "gumbo". Paul Williams, one of the chefs, makes ridiculous good food in that closet of a kitchen. Bring your own wine, no liqour license, but plenty of good stemware.

Uglich's(edge of CBD and uptown) for the best po-boy in the city!!!

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

I liked Felix's but forget where exactly it is. It's more of a roll-up-your sleeves oyster bar, but if you can appreciate that sort of thing, it'll be right up your alley.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

I liked Felix's but forget where exactly it is. It's more of a roll-up-your sleeves oyster bar, but if you can appreciate that sort of thing, it'll be right up your alley.

Felix's is a block off St. Charles across the street from Acme Oyster House.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

for cheap cheap eats you've gotta go to cafe du monde in the market. just to say you've done it.

oh unless they are really into getting pissy drunk and acting like fools, they might want to skip the bourbon street experience.

Edited by tryska (log)

For late-night cheap eats, you can't miss with Camellia Grill. It's where St. Charles meets Carrollton, and the streetcar stops right in front of it.

Crabby Jack's, owned by the fellow who owns Jacques-Omo's, is a great po' boy shop but it's a bit off the beaten path. There are always a lot of locals at Frankie & Johnny's on Annunciation and Tchopitoulas (I think. It's at somewhere and Tchopitoulas).

For late-night cheap eats, you can't miss with Camellia Grill.  It's where St. Charles meets Carrollton, and the streetcar stops right in front of it.

Crabby Jack's, owned by the fellow who owns Jacques-Omo's, is a great po' boy shop but it's a bit off the beaten path.

There are always a lot of locals at Frankie & Johnny's on Annunciation and Tchopitoulas (I think. It's at somewhere and Tchopitoulas).

It's on Arabella, between Tchoups and Annunciation. The poboys and crawfish pies are good, but...they're even better at:

Casamento's, best oysters in town, on Magazine and Napoleon, or:

Uglesich's, really, really good bbq oysters, shrimp, softshells, poboys, etc.

If I had to pick one, it would be Uglesich's. They're only open for lunch.

Rene Bistrot, in the CBD, has been my favorite for a couple of years.

Dante's Kitchen is alway's good, out by River Road, but if you're out that way, you might as well go to Jacque-Imo's.

Bayona is great.

I really like the Vietnamese food available here. Check out:

Pho Tau Bay, on the West Bank, or the little Pho Tau Bay Express across from Charity Hospital. My husband and I eat there two or three times a week.

Had a great meal at Upperline a few weeks back.

Towards Tulane down St. Charles ave.

Set in an old house. Nice and casual. Moderate pricing. Creole contemporary French cuisine. Interesting decour. The owner was very nice. Even remembered our names when we left. I can't even remember a name after a 5 min. phone call.

Last time we were in New Orleans (March 2003) we had dinner at Commander's Palace--the whole experience seemed canned--food was good but not great ($34 for ONE softshell crab), service was distracted, the champagne was not chilled. I bitched and got a free cookbook. The next night, our friends who live there took us to Cafe Sbisa--which would appear to be a tourist trap--and I had the best barbecue shrimp of my life. Go figure.

Fine Dining-

Bayona

Emeril's (yeah yeah I know, but the food is damn good)

Galitoires (for the New Orleans thing-beats Antoines in Old N.O. category)

Commanders for LUNCH during week (best dining deal in New Orleans)

Casual/Upscale

Palace Cafe

Redfish Grill

Mr B's (and after these three suggestions I am not a Brennan :biggrin: )

NOLA

Uglesich's (for lunch)

Jacquimo's (make a reservation, good, but overrated)

Cafe Sbisa

New Orleans is a great place to eat on a mederate budget. The person who reccomended the Vietnamese here was right on. Huge population and great food to go along with it.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 2 weeks later...

Heading to Nawlins this weekend for the first time. Appreciate this thread :)

Any places right in the Quarter to check out? Avoid? We'll be essentially on foot. And casual is a must.

Tripe my guacamole baby.. just one more time.

If you'll be here Friday for lunch, try Begue's in the Royal Sonesta Hotel. They have an excellent seafood buffet. Although I'm not into buffets, this one is outstanding.

For a very casual lunch, get the muffelata from Central Grocery. It's a huge round Italian loaf, hollowed out a bit to fit the mounds of Italian deli meats and cheeses with an olive mix topping. It's excellent. The weather is really nice right now. Get that (1 whole muff feeds 2 people) and a beer or glass of wine and sit on the levy and watch the barges go bye. It's a very relaxful way to spend lunch.

For dinner Brigtsen's is an excellent restaurant, and the chef is ALWAYS there. The seafood platter is a no-brainer, always fabulous, and try the creme brulee for desert.

As an aside, many restaurants in New Orleans are casual. If there is someplace you really want to go, just ask about dress code when you make reservations (always make reservations for dinner here). Nice slacks and sports shirts are common -- just no shorts and tennis shoes at dinner :biggrin:

If you decide you want a dressy upscale place - Delmonico's is hard to beat. Yeah, Emeril owns it, but it really is good. Skip Commander's Palace -- since the chef (Jamie Shannon) sadly passed away they haven't been very good lately.

Laisses les bon temps rouler (and enjoy your trip)!