• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ferran Adria´s new Trick ----) "AIR"

schneich

You guys know me well enough; I'm all for experimentation of kookiest kind. But I have to join the chorus and ask, once you nail this, what exactly are you going to do with it? And chefs have been foaming this way for years- what exactly is the difference we're acheiving with this?

Really, I ask this quite sincerely!

this is very fundamental i think...

i think the way adria (and some of his fellow spanish weirdos) cooks

marks a totaly new way of "thinking" about food. i had a chat with one

guy that eagerly tries to incorporate adrias stuff into his everyday cuisine.

in my eyes that doesnt work (w. some exeptions though).

it would be like putting michael schumachers racing wheels to your ford fiesta! :biggrin:

all i try to do FOR NOW is to understand the way adria works... i dont want to copycat his

stuff...

whats intriguing with his cuisine is that its like watching the tour de france or a furmula one

race... it takes your breath away and gives you kind of a "thrill"!

the "air" thing alone is pretty useless by itself, but it helps to understand the nature

of things and maybe leads some unique creations on your own :smile:

cheers

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

I've seen in Hong Kong a Chinese Chef produce a light as air foam, from a fish head essence, that he added a small amount or cream of tarter and powdered egg white, then using a pump vacum sealed into a container. When he released the vacum the stuff floated in the air, settling onto the top of the serving bowl, tasted okay, thought at the time it was to contrived.

What did I know!

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

• 1 year later...

I got some Lecithin yesterday and ran a couple of quick experiments before I use it tonight. I made a very stable "air" with just cold water and some Lecithin mixed with an immersion blender. Also made the same with hot water and a raspberry "air" with some watered down raspberry puree. Simplicity itself.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

albert adria told me the trick is using lecithin. just a pinch per liter.

the flavor of the liquid must be very strong in order to obtain an air with recognisable/sufficient flavor.

also, one must blend the mix in 3 stages with a brief rest in between each stage of a few minutes. the final mix will yield a foam reminiscent of bath foam.

it is indeed stable and freezeable. the frozen texture is that of the lightest snow.

kinda gimmicky but it could work well if applied liberally.

good luck