• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flouring meat for braising...

babyluck

I read somewhere a few years ago that flouring meat before browning interferes with the tenderizing process during slow cooking. The recommendation was to simmer the meat in a thin, watery solution until tender, then add thickening agents (grated potato or beurre manié for me). I found the recommendation intuitive & have employed it ever since. But recently, I have seen recipes by leading chefs where the meat is floured before browning (like the Daniel recipe for braised short ribs). A Google search called up only one source with an opinion, which actually recommended flouring to make the meat more tender.

Any thoughts? Food science for or against?

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I usually flour my meat before braising. I just make sure that it's not a thick coating or it will get glooby. Shake off most of the excess and you should be good to go!

:smile:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

From the science department... I don't see any way that flouring would interfer with the tenderizing process. Tenderizing by braising is a temperature driven process, long exposure to relatively low temperature breaking down the connective tissue.

I use flouring if I want some thickening, such as classic beef stew. I don't see much purpose to flouring of a bigger piece like a brisket or roast. When I do flour, it is lightly like wawairis said... otherwise you could get the lumpies. BTW... I have rediscovered Wondra for flouring after seeing several chefs on TV use it. I find it makes for a light and even coating.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I quit flouring years ago because it seemed that I was only browning the flour instead of the meat. I get a much nicer color, flavor and fond if I omit the flour. If you must flour, use the Wondra, no question

Stop Family Violence