• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SUVIR SARAN

BBhasin

Suvir:

As I was buying apples for Tarte Tatin today I was thinking of you (how many "Tarte Tatin" threads have you started??? :laugh:). I logged on this evening and came upon this thread and your news...best of luck, Suvir. Although we've never met and have had just a little contact through egullet, you have passed along such wonderful advice and wisdom, have asked questions which got us all thinking and discussing, but most importantly, I will ALWAYS think of you when making or eating Tarte Tatin! Considering the season, I'll be thinking of you a lot in the next few months!

All the best and I look forward to reading your future postings.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Suvir:

As I was buying apples for Tarte Tatin today I was thinking of you (how many "Tarte Tatin" threads have you started??? :laugh:).  I logged on this evening and came upon this thread and your news...best of luck, Suvir.  Although we've never met and have had just a little contact through egullet, you have passed along such wonderful advice and wisdom, have asked questions which got us all thinking and discussing, but most importantly, I will ALWAYS think of you when making or eating Tarte Tatin!  Considering the season, I'll be thinking of you a lot in the next few months!

All the best and I look forward to reading your future postings.

Many thanks to you!

I have around 80 apples at home.. I have been meaning to make chutney with them. I have a beautiful jam pot now.. and I want to use it for the apple chutney....

I also have many granny smiths sitting as table decoration... those will become tarte tatin... I love this simple desserts.. and I only enjoy it made by chefs that give it due respect.. and so, most often, it takes home chefs to make it for me in the manner I enjoy it.. too many restaurant chefs give no time or thought to its preparation.... and the resulting TT is nothing it ought to be... I am sure you must prepare it very well... how lucky those people are who will sample it.... I envy them in a good way. :smile: I too shall prepare it many times this fall and winter... and I shall think of you and your kind encouraging words....

What recipe will you use for your TT? What will you have it with? Anything? I often enjoy it just by itself... I miss Jaybee's passion for Tarte Tatin... somewhere, he too, must be enjoying the wonders of TT, I only feel badly that I never got to eat his TT. Even though he said it himself, I want to believe him when he says he makes a mean TT. Last year, at the home of our very own CathyL, Toby had made a vertical tasting of Tarte Tatin's. Each of them was superb.

I could go on and on... Tarte Tatin is really a major part of my life. It brings me joy like few things can. It can make me smile in times when things are not what one would call happy....and it can make me cry in times when all is perfect and its addition makes life seem just so charmed and precious.....

I have some clotted cream in the refrigerator... and now I really need to stay up and make TT.

Thanks for your wishes... and enjoy the Tarte Tatin you prepare. :smile:

I must admit, Suvir was starting to give me a complex. He moderated this forum, gave recipes endlessly (and recipes he had personally tried himself), was writing a book and was starting up a restaurant as well! Just thinking of all that made me exhausted. Well now it seems he's human after all, but its a pity he has to prove it this way. But, as he says, he'll still be posting and that's great. All the best, Suvir,

vikram

I must admit, Suvir was starting to give me a complex. He moderated this forum, gave recipes endlessly (and recipes he had personally tried himself), was writing a book and was starting up a restaurant as well! Just thinking of all that made me exhausted. Well now it seems he's human after all, but its a pity he has to prove it this way. But, as he says, he'll still be posting and that's great. All the best, Suvir,

vikram

You don't do too badly yourself, my friend.

Hope that makes your day

Edited by BBhasin (log)

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

vikram

Vikram, you are as usual, a master of words.

I think most would be on the side of getting a complex from your rich writing and experiences in India. And I certainly belond to that group.

It has been wonderful to have you join our membership... your posts, each of them, are rich in content, generous and fascinating.

I would be a fool to not participate and miss what you are posting here.... you as well as our other members, make life seem wonderful and fun.. and India and its foods are being discovered and understood better for it.

Thanks for your kind words.

Suvir

Hello Suvir,

Sorry that you are leaving - hopefully we'll see you here frequently. Good luck with all your ventures. Don't forget to let us know when your book comes out. Thanks for sharing so much.

Best wishes,

Suman

• 18 years later...