• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SUVIR SARAN

BBhasin

Dear Suvir,

I have not been on these forums too long but long enough to be enriched by your knowlege, helpfulness and knidness. Thank you, good luck and God bless.

New York is so near yet so far but whenever I visit I shall definitly pay homage at Amma.

You take care now,

Balraj Bhasin

Bombay Curry Company

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

I'll second those sentiments. You have been a tireless supporter of eGullet and a great contributor. Through your efforts, the "India & Indian Cuisine" boards have been some of the very liveliest and most informative.

Indeed you will be missed.

And we'll all be applauding your next successes with your restaurant and upcoming book.

Best of everything to you!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm delighted though that such successes as your new restaurant and forthcoming book are the reason for your slowing down at eGullet rather than ill-health or anything of that nature.

And when you do post, your many fans and devotees will appreciate it all the more.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Suvir:

We here at eGullet would be plain selfish to begrudge you the time you need to devote to your exciting new projects. And, to echo Jinmyo, your upcoming posts will be even more precious.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

The entire eGullet team wishes Suvir all the best in his restaurant venture, Amma, and his forthcoming book, Indian Home Cooking: A Fresh Introduction to Indian Food. I have no doubt that we'll all be watching closely, along with the rest of the food community online and off, as both of these projects shoot to the top of the charts. We thank Suvir for all his hard work on eGullet over the past couple of years and we're looking forward to those Amma dining reports!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Suvir: Like everyone else here, I have been enriched immeasurably by your generosity, your knowledge, your spirit, your cuteness. :wink: (And I've probably gained a few pounds because of you, too. :angry::raz::laugh: )

This is not an exit; it is an entrance to another room of life. I will -- WE will -- visit you there. :wub:

Am I missing something, where is Suvir going? I know he is opening AMMA but is he not going to be available to post on e-gullet anymore? Please explain.

Suvir- best of luck on AMMA and I will make sure to visit when in NYC and waiting patiently for the book.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

suvir,

even though your restaurant sounds a bit like the kind of thing i railed about here ( :smile: )i wish you and your partner the best of luck with it. i am surprised you don't have panditji's kaddu recipe on your menu--i'd recommend it for a thanksgiving special. i will definitely check you out on my next trip to nyc--i look forward to it.

mongo

Edited by mongo_jones (log)

Suvir,

I wish you much success in all your endeavors. We have not had much direct interaction, but please know that I have learned much from your expertise, good taste and thoughtful writing. Amma will be on my list to visit the next time I'm in the area.

~Tad

Suvir - I am delighted at your projects and achievments, and was wondering how you could juggle so many balls. Glad you will continue to post and contribute here on eGullet as you have time.

Richard

I, too, will miss your helpfullness and encouragement...And your wonderful recipes...

I wish you well with your venture, and hope that you have the time to drop in once in a while...

As the Vulcans would say..."Live Long and Prosper"

Of course, should I ever wind up in NYC (small chance,sigh), I will be sure to stop in and check the place out...

Will there be a special table for egullet members to sit?...LOL!

Peace

Suvir:

I wish you fulfillment, peace and prosperity in your new endeavors. eGullet will be a less interesting place with your less frequent posts. It will make whatever posts you have time for that much more precious to those of us that have come to expect nothing less than the usual level of wisdom, graciousness and passion from your posts than that to which we have become accustomed.

Prosper and soar with everyone's best wishes. You could do worse for a cheering section... :smile:

With sincere best wishes,

Katie

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks to each of you that have posted here and to all our membership for always being so very supportive of the ultimate goal of eGullet, one to share across the globe, with food lovers, a place to thrive in and enjoy things related to food and its lore.

I have been lucky to have found a niche here, once identified as the "Indian ghetto" by a man as wise as they get, John Whiting. In this ghetto, I found fellow members and Indian food lovers that cared little about how we were termed, or how our food was viewed by those not savvy about its intricacies and many nuances. We only came here to share with each other and those that wanted to know more, all we knew and all we could share. I have been enriched daily by the myriad of posts that have enriched this forum.

In a short time, a ghetto like our Indian forum, one that was way down in the scrolling order of eGullet, found itself having over 490 threads and 6680 posts. Not shabby for a ghetto at all. We all, each of you who have posted tirelessly in this forum, and those that supported this forum in other ways, deserve every bit as much of my own appreciation. I would have been nothing more than just a title without each of you.

Alone, I was no more than just a hollow title. It would have been easier to share much more with you all in this time, if I did not have to worry about circumspection that comes with belonging to a group that is officially affiliated. eGullet has a great number of driven affiliates. They will certainly do all they can to keep eGullet and certainly our ghetto as well, alive and kicking. A new moderator will come... if they choose to bring one...Certainly we have no lack of contenders. Even amongst our membership, there are many a name that are worthy, deserving and very capable. One would hardly have to look outside. But as a member, I can only post and leave the official stuff to the affiliates.

I am going nowhere, in fact, a time has come in my life when I find a new meaning in all I do. My time at home, my time at the restaurant, and my time with family and friends, has all been given a new "tadka" if you will. I find myself still wanting to enjoy all those things that occupied my life before now, and yet the time I have for these has become limited. eGullet has played a very big role in my daily life. You could quickly learn that from the number of posts I have racked up. Scary! I ought to get a life!:rolleyes: eGullet will continue to be relevant in my life. eGullet will only grow more and more into something it will logically move onto being. A place on the internet, where one can find intelligent discourse on topics food related. Whilst it is young today, it has already moved from its toddler stage into its early youth, with each of our contributions, it can only get richer, there is no other logical next phase in its life. For that end, I hope all of us can keep our generosity of posts and information pouring and eGullet will never have to worry about who moderates a forum. Those are times of the past.

Amma may have come as a gift to me and to eGullet. It is not uncommon for founders of organizations, charities and affiliations to find it difficult to let go of leadership. It is a founders syndrome. The greed to control and dictate and consume with ones own singular vision is strong and but ultimately futile. I am glad that Amma posed new challenges into my life, and I have been posed this new departure. It is a welcome change and shall only help me enjoy eGullet and all its forums (including this beloved Indian forum of ours) in far greater measure.

Again, thanks for your kind words. Thanks for taking time to post here. I could thank each of you personally, but I would find myself repeating myself. I am no Steven Shaw, Steve Klc or the other articulate affiliates/members for whom words flow easily. Words fail me in sharing the beauty of most things that compel me to write...I never forget that my mortal written expressions of the beauty of things I try and share, is never ever as rich and poignant as the reality of what I am hoping to write about. I am both a carrier of its beauty, and also the element that gives it my own bias and failing attributes. Thus, in my own life, and those of others, I hope and try, harder every day, to skim through words and understand the reality of making judgment only after my practical experience with that topic.

I am no great wordsmith, but I am a big fan of life and all things it brings into my world. The only reason I boldly keep posting is that I do not fear failing. And hence, I do not fear writing about things I have enjoyed and experienced (limited and biased as they are). I will continue to share and post on eGullet. Bring to you a report on the things I do, the essence of what captivates me, from India and from my travels and experiences elsewhere. And I hope each of you will do the same. Every member of eGullet whose posts I have read, has left me thinking. That in itself is a great gift eGullet brings to us. eGullet is nothing if it does not have each of us and our generosity enriching it daily.

I have enjoyed the moderation of this forum, the growth of eGullet and I hope to enjoy being untitled and yet a most important ingredient of eGullets future, its cherished and most important spice, the individual member.

Thanks! :smile: