• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eastern European vintage

Andre

After a taste of the must of some red Burgenders in the area of Arad [ Romania ] ending the harvest on September 29th, the first impression is of a good to very good vintage.

In Tokaji [ Hungary ] there is little hope for Aszu this year. Winemakers are facing a tough choice between a safe late harvest, meaning now, or taking a rather big chance hoping for a miracle during October.

With modern winemaking invading the region, mainly through the powerful French companies, I am quite certain we will see more "chateau" and "cuvee" style wines this year than ever.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the Tokaji Region:

With some botrytis affecting a small portion of the grape bunch some wineries have started harvest. The smaller wineries are selecting grapes at the winery.

Possibility for rain is high and the high level of humidity is slightly delluting the sugar and flavor of the grapes.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.