• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What makes a great cheesesteak

Felice

I looked through and didn't see this topic, so I hope Iam not repeating it.

I have a sort of strange request. I've been living in Paris for the past two years(but lived in Philly my whole life) and work in a small restaurant. The chef went to the U.S. recently for the first time and loved cheesesteaks and has promised them for staff meal, but we weren't sure what cut of beef to get. Any ideas?

Any other ideas about how to make a real philly cheesesteak in Paris? I know a store that sells cheesewiz believe it or not.

Merci!

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I don't want to get to effete, but a place in DC, Trio's, makes a fine cheesesteak using Provolone instead of Cheeze-whiz that I find modestly superior to the Philly versions I've tried. Despite its cheesy pretensions, it is otherwise a proper gooey mess (bread is not as good as, say, Pat's) using not rib-eye but (I believe) some variation on top round, which is tenderized by whacking it with the side of a metal spatula while you fry it. The also drizzle Worcestershire on top, which I feel as though I've tasted in Philly but cannot confirm.

Given the religious devotion Philly cheesesteaks inspire, I feel certain that someone on this board will be able to deliver a detailed analysis not only of the generic Philly-style sandwich, but an impassioned discussion of the difference between Pat's and Jim's.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Provolone is one of the standard options at many of Philadelphia's authentic cheesesteak joints. It's whiz, American (the white kind), or provolone. I alternate between getting whiz and provolone... if you're going to go artificial, might as well go with the whiz, I say. If you're at a place that uses sharp aged provolone (like Tony Luke's), go with that, I say. And don't forget to grab some of those pickled hot peppers from the condiment table.

Thanks for the info...

I think I'll go with Provolone, since there's a little Italien shop on our street and it will be much easier than going across town for the wiz.

Any other recommendations?

I'll let you know how the first (perhaps) cheesteak dinner in Paris turns out :smile:

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

To me, the bread is the most important ingredient to the recipe: cxrispy crust, fluffy insides.

I'l bet you'll have no problem finding good bread in Paris.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I don't want to get to effete, but a place in DC, Trio's, makes a fine cheesesteak using Provolone instead of Cheeze-whiz that I find modestly superior to the Philly versions I've tried.

D.C. - those within the beltway - are infamous for screwing up whatever they apply their efforts to.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Thanks for the info...

I think I'll go with Provolone, since there's a little Italien shop on our street and it will be much easier than going across town for the wiz. 

Any other recommendations? 

I'll let you know how the first (perhaps) cheesteak dinner in Paris turns out  :smile:

Your chef, obviously a man of worldly taste, might have encountered the whiz cheezesteak. If so, he will be tres disappointed if you return with provolone.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I don't want to get to effete, but a place in DC, Trio's, makes a fine cheesesteak using Provolone instead of Cheeze-whiz that I find modestly superior to the Philly versions I've tried.

D.C. - those within the beltway - are infamous for screwing up whatever they apply their efforts to.

Au contraire! it's the bozos you people keep sending into my lovely town that screw things up.

Senator Santorum, hah!

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge Trios has been serving cheesesteaks and warmish, flatish pitchers of beer for nigh on 50 years, and surely has as much street cred as any South Philly tourist trap.

(Sorry, the tourist thing was a cheap shot)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Cheesesteaks are about synergy--the perfect cheese(I prefer whiz, mild provolone a close second) to meat ratio and a roll that is a little crusty and firm yet yielding on the outside and soft on the inside.

I've given up on Pat's. The last steak I had there was completely inedible--a tough, fatty, gristly mess. I've always liked Jim's over Pat's and Geno's. I also like Steve's in NE Philly.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Holly hit the nail on the head regarding rib eye. But could prove to be a bit costly for some. What I do may seem a bit unconventional, but works good for me. Here is my procedure for the beef part:

I purchase NAMP cut #168, Beef Round Top, Separated from the knuckle and bottom round, the top round is the inside portion of the round primal, with all bones, cartilages and exposed lymph glands removed.

The cut, is located here click

I slowly roast it over a woodburning fire at 200F until the internal temperature is about 120F, measured in the center of the cut. External seasoning of the roast is optional, but I use a Montreal Steak type concoction.

By slow roasting at this temperature I have found the the internal part of the roast will be fairly even in doneness, from side to side an top to bottom of the roast.

After I allow the roast to cool, I slice it, on a commercial meat slicer at just about the thinnest control setting, Vacuum pack into 1lb packages and freeze.

When we feel like Philly type steak sandwiches for lunch, I open a defrosted package of meat, and quickly saute/fry on a griddle. Add some onyons, to the mix, and serve on a nice hogie type roll with the hot whiz.

Easy huh?

woodburner

I should add, I have some digital pictures, of my cooking process if some kind soul would like to host a site to post them.

Edited by woodburner (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Having used the same supplier, who introduced the cut of beef favored by the majority of the original "Cheese Steak", providers located in Phidelphia about 70/75 years ago. The Meat was provided by the "Cross Brothers", meat company who sold both Kosher Beef as well as non-kosher.

The cut used was supplied to cross Brothers from all over the east coast, and in later years from anywhere they received supply. The was The ,"Cow Rib Eye" not to be comfused with the Spencer Steak. They were often due to the Cow's feed with yellowish fat, bet the old timers remember that. The eye is exactly what it means the denuded center cut of the boneless prime rib.

These cuts had excellent flavor and character as even in Cow's there was marbling. The restaurants placed them for a short time into the freezers, just enough to firm the meat so it could be sliced and portioned from any restaurant slicer. It tastes delicious when grilled with onions and cheese. Cooks quickly and uniformly.

Now for the Cheese. Originally there was only one variety suitable as it was the only cheese product suitable that reguired no refrigeration. 'Velveeta", Boxed and Stored in a cool placed, easily sliced with excellent melting qualities, with just enough saltiness to compliment the beef and onions.

Remember when these places opened they were put together with tight budgets in minimal available space. There were concerns of where to store the disposables only weeks after opening. Often the Cheese and paper goods were kept in a nearby truck. Meats were stored at a family or friends market or butcher shop. Of course we all know how these business progressed. I'm salivating thinking about how much I miss a late night visit. Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.