• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scanpan Cookware

Suvir Saran

Scanpans are what I use day in and day out and have for over 8 years. The sixteen inch skillet is one of my favorite pieces. I have returned pans before for broken handles, they dealt with it expediantly. The downside, the glass lids are exspensive, I took my large one in to teach a class and one of the children broke it...$40 to replace...and that was just the lid. Cleaning is easy, and they go from stove to oven....which is pretty important for the way I cook. So, besides several omelet pans and a cast iron or two, scanpans are the way I have gone and they work for me.

I do some personal cheffing so have had the chance to try out loads of stoves, ovens, and pots/pans.

I checked out the site rather quickly and I have to say... it didn't tell me much. I still don't know what the product is made of! I also don't know what they have in the way of technology that would differentiate them from other cookware manufacturers. This just looks like a cookware line after form rather than function. But then, that is just my opinion.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Scanpan is more than just form. I have not had much experience with them, or else I would chime in more vociferously. It is made by melting titanium and porcelain at a very high temperature... think perhaps 3000 degrees or more... and that is then used to cover a metal base. Thus the resulting non-stick surface is not something that will come off because of the use of metal spoons and spatulas and can also resist higher oven temperatures without eny fear of food contamination.. I believe it can stand upto 500 F.

If I am using non-stick, I would rather be able to have a pan that I can use any spatulas or spoons on.. and one that I have no fear about eating scrapings from.

Some chefs have told me they use their stainless and it is superb. It is not marketed directly for professional use, but has seen growing popularity.

I have wondered what someone who has used them long thinks.... JulieB, your feedback is great... for I have heard similar reactions from those that have this range of cookware... It is not reasonable for sure... but I believe their non-stick range lasts a LONG time.

Thanks Suvir... Now THAT is interesting. It is really too bad that their web site doesn't accurately reflect their product. They need some marketing help. My first impression was that this was a line of relatively cheap "Wearever" type cookware with a few design twists. Nowhere was I made aware of the technology in an upfront and introductory way.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks Suvir... Now THAT is interesting. It is really too bad that their web site doesn't accurately reflect their product. They need some marketing help. My first impression was that this was a line of relatively cheap "Wearever" type cookware with a few design twists. Nowhere was I made aware of the technology in an upfront and introductory way.

You are welcome fifi! :smile:

I found the below on a scanpan related site.

"Scanpan Ergonomic

SCANPAN ERGONOMIC NEW TEK Cookware represents the next generation in ceramic-titanium nonstick technology. A truly ergonomic handle design assists in effortless handling and control.

* Scientifically researched optimum pan base thickness to heat up quickly, distribute heat evenly

* Superior heat retention

* No hot spots

* Permanent nonstick surface - perfect food release every time!

* No blistering or peeling

* No warping

* Safe to use with metal utensils

* No pre-oiling or seasoning necessary

* Lightweight Glass Covers with Metal Rim

* Oven safe to 500º F

* Now dishwasher Safe

* Full Lifetime Warranty "

Click Here to learn more.

I have a Scanpan nonstick covered saute pan that I have had for 12 years at least and I like it a lot. I feel like the nonstick surface is wearing out now, but over the same 12 years I have replaced my Teflon (or Super Teflon or whatever they call it) lined saute pans several times.

It's funny, because I have thought about replacing my scanpan off and on over the past year, and none of the retailers seem to carry it, or care for it, so I was having doubts about whether they were still available or whether I was nuts for thinking that it was good.

I assume that the stainless line is entirely different and does not have nonstick properties. To me, their nonstick surface is their selling point, I don't think I would care about their stainless line.

Edited by fredbram (log)

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

It's funny, because I have thought about replacing my scanpan off and on over the past year, and none of the retailers seem to carry it, or care for it . . .

I've never tried it, and I don't know anything about it, but I do know that Chef's Catalog carries Scanpan.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I've had a small scanpan omelette pan for a couple of years now, and I have yet to understand their "nonstick" claim.

Now, nonreactive I can see--it sure seems to be an inert cooking surface.

And it's certainly nice and heavy and I don't mind cooking with it, for certain uses.

But it's no more nonstick than stainless steel, in my experience. And it never has been.

I don't get it. I mean, the alloy and the process are interesting and even useful, but I don't understand why they categorize it as nonstick.

there must be several lines, then. i had a big one, and only ruined it because i left it on the burner, and - fell asleep! now i've bought two smaller ones (they're probably a lot cheaper in denmark than in usa...).

as long as you don't heat it like you will sometimes wish to heat iron, steel or copper, it will keep its non stick properties, and yes, you can use metal spatulas in it. one thing, though: the aluminium base is thick, but not quite thick enough to absolutely prevent hot spots.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

Mrbigjas, I bet that yours is a product with the original technology, which came out

in 1986. I was told that they changed their product after the first round.. and do so regularly to keep improving.

They have modified the molecular structure of the surface in 2000 to make the pans easier to clean and, more importantly, nonstick to the point that they no longer have to instruct customers with endless

cleaning and maintenance tips.

What I was most impressed by was their lifetime warranty of all their products for the home customer.

Maybe you ought to send your cookware from them back to them with a note telling them of your problems, I am sure a company that advertises lifetime warranty, would surprise you with quick exchange and an upgrade to their new range of products. It will selfishly, give us on eGullet a way of seeing if they really do keep their word about this lifetime warranty.

The new range is called SCANPAN Classic NEW TEK. It seems quite cool. I am waiting for some pots and pans to arrive. Can only make an intelligent experienced post after they have been used.

I have been working with a Michelle for my own order, she seems very helpful. I am happy giving you their contact information. Or, you can find it also at their website, www.scanpan.com.

Scanpan USA Inc.

10 Industrial Avenue

Mahwah, NJ 07430

Email: scanpan@scanpan.com

Phone: 201-818-2280

FAX: 201-818-2295

Thanks, Suvir. I just might do that.

The only reason I wouldn't is because I don't really feel like I was having "problems" per se--I just was expecting something different than what they meant. When they said nonstick, I was imagining something like teflon, where you can crack an egg in the pan dry, and it'll slide right out. Their surface was more like circulon or anolon--more nonstick than stainless steel (I was exaggerating above a little), but not completely slippery like I imagined it would be.

But you may be right about it being the original technology, since it did come with a page of instructions about 'seasoning' it, which I dutifully did a few times. And it mentioned that it would darken with use, which it has done.

I mean, I'm not really unhappy with it--I was just a little surprised when my omelette stuck in it, at first.

Thanks, Suvir.  I just might do that. 

The only reason I wouldn't is because I don't really feel like I was having "problems" per se--I just was expecting something different than what they meant.  When they said nonstick, I was imagining something like teflon, where you can crack an egg in the pan dry, and it'll slide right out.  Their surface was more like circulon or anolon--more nonstick than stainless steel (I was exaggerating above a little), but not completely slippery like I imagined it would be. 

But you may be right about it being the original technology, since it did come with a page of instructions about 'seasoning' it, which I dutifully did a few times.  And it mentioned that it would darken with use, which it has done.

I mean, I'm not really unhappy with it--I was just a little surprised when my omelette stuck in it, at first.

If I were you, I would test their lifetime warranty.. who knows.. they may not even change it.. but if they do.. you have the ability to test a new product from them... and see what it is like.. I am getting great feedback on it... I have no first hand experience.. waiting to get my products.. and once I have cooked with them... I shall post here.

But do let us know how they handle this request from you. The lady who handles customer requests is Michelle, if I remember her name correctly. You have the contact information above.

I talked to Michelle at Scanpan today about the pan that I mentioned above which, from looking on the date on the bottom of the pan, I must have bought in 1990 or so. I told her that I felt that it had gradually lost some of its nonstick properties over time. She, without a whole lot of discussion, suggested that I send it back to them and they will look it over. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the suggestion....

Fred Bramhall

• 2 weeks later...

HI-

I bought a 9 inch Scanpan w/ lid for making my [flat] French Omelettes and Spanish Frittatas.

The lid has a metal lip which makes it useless for flipping- which is how i make these flat egg meals! I used another lid from an old W-S pasta pot instead. I say save your $ and use another pot's lid for this baby!

The first Titanium SP I bought didn't fare so well. Perhaps I used it at too high of a heat- also they said it was dishwasher safe so I cleaned it there. Also I used nonstick spray which may have messed things up a bit. Food began to stick so I called them and they were very helpful- I sent it back and this time upgraded to an Ergonomic 9 inch-. I don't remember having to pay anything to do this.

It has worked like a charm for a year now. I DO NOT put it in the dishwasher though-

AND I never use that spray stuff on it- I either use nothing or butter or oil. I think the nonstick spray can cause problems as well.

Hope this helps. I am happy with it. Use it solely for making egg dishes though. It doesn't serve any other purpose for me.

I have different pans I use for different reasons.

Oh- I do have two other non stick pans though- the Calaphalon you mentioned in your initial query. I bought an 10 inch Crepe pan and a 12 inch Omelette pan when I found them on sale CHEAP from Amazon.com- Such an incredible savings I didn't pass it up.

But- what was I thinking??? I pretty much use the Scanpan for eggs and rarely use the Calphalon. Maybe I just like 9 inch egg pans?

Otherwise I use my non-nonstick pans for everything else-

Scanpan customer service is great so give them a try. Good price too!

Guess this echos other sentiments but I always appreciate another yea!

Miiki

I had 2 scanpan skillets. They are in the local dump with the food that stuck and burned still attached. After about a year wrestling with these 2 pans, I broke down and purchased all-clad aluminum and all-clad non-stick. I did notice that the all-clad regular does not cause food to stick as much as the scanpans. And the non-stick is absolutely fabulous! I wish I could say that the sp lived up to it's hype...but I have learned an expensive lesson in cookware: buy top quality and keep 'em for life.

After taking a mouthful of boiling hot coffee, what ever you do next is wrong.

I love my scanpan; I've had it for about four years now. It isn't as non stick as the teflon pans; I do have a seperate crepe pan for frying eggs and stuff like that, but I use the scanpan for everything else. Once I melted a plastic spatula on it, and when I cleaned the crap off it was still good. It's easy to clean to, I just run water over it and give it a brush while still hot.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Have enjoyed my new interaction with scanpan. Their non-stick works great. Their stainless pieces are as good as the other stainless out there, and so beautiful and with amazing handles.

I also gave Ed Schoenfeld some pieces, he seems to be enjoying them thoroughly as well.

I have to spend more time with the scanpan titanium pieces... We are using them at Amma...and they are working very well. They can take higher temperatures in the oven, and that really makes a big difference.

Glad to know their customer service is for real.

They are not cheap... but it has been a worthwile decision to try them.

Just an update on the 1989 vintage 9" pan that I sent back a couple of weeks ago. Just got home and a brand new one was waiting on my doorstep. No comments or questions from scanpan, they simply gave me a new pan to replace the one I've used to death over the years. They don't seem reluctant to honor their lifetime guarantee.

Fred Bramhall

• 4 years later...
Any more thoughts on scanpan cookware?

I'm looking for a nonstick pan, but I've never used scanpan before.

My suggestion would be to get a cheap, commercial quality nonstick pan and know that if you use it a lot, you'll have to replace it in a year or two or three.

Or see if you can find a more expensive one (calphalon nonstick, etc.) on sale or closeout. Sometimes Amazon has deals where they cost as little as the commercial ones.

No nonstick surface stays nonstick indefinitely. Some surfaces are much more durable than others (like scan pan, or the version used by demeyere) but this just protects them from abuse. It doesn't stop the pan from losing its nonstick properties over time. I'd rather have a cheap disposable pan than an expensive one.

I personally prefer commercial style, no-b.s. pans over feature-ladden ones designed by marketing departments (plastic stay-cool handles, breakable glass lids, goofy patterns on the bottom, non-functional shapes, etc. etc.)

Notes from the underbelly

I have several Scanpan products including some of the Copper range [Good] and some of the Non Stick range [bad]

Both the 26cm skillet and the Wok blistered over a period of 2 years. I have followed the manufactures guidelines [using Low to Medium heat at all times and never using the Dishwasher to clean] to the letter and ended up taking the skillet back for replacement [Lifetime Warranty] they claim of their packaging. Scanpan flatly refused to replace my skillet and now the Wok is going the same way. Small blisters appear all over the non stick surface which after a few months turn into big flaked off holes all over the cooking surface which renders it useless. I have been upset regarding their renegging on their lifetime warrenty and have vowed NEVER to buy another Scanpan product as long as I live and to add to that I am going to let as many people know about it as possible. I have since purchased Caphalon non stick pots and pans and cannot recommend them highly enough. Save your money and buy some quality cookware like Caphalon.

Edited by Taubear (log)

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

I have had the 8 piece set for over 15 years and only recently the stockpot has pitted. After reading this thread I'm gonna phone them about replacing it. The rest of them are good - I like them a lot better than the cheap nonstick although these are only semi non stick, if that makes any sense.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman