• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Menu Ideas

carpet bagger

What food would you serve with the following? Or would you bother drinking them.

1998 Penfolds Grange, 1998 Killibinbin, 1994 Henchke Hill of Grace, 1996 Greenock Creek Roenfeld Road, 1997 Torbreck Run Rig, and 1998 Marquis Philips Integrity, 2001 Shirvington, and 1998 Jim Barry the Armagh. All are Shiraz.

This dinner wine tasting will be at Restaurant 2117 in West Los Angeles. I would like suggestions for Chef Hideo to make the best dishes. Thank you.

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

What food would you serve with the following? Or would you bother drinking them.

1998 Penfolds Grange, 1998 Killibinbin, 1994 Henchke Hill of Grace, 1996 Greenock Creek Roenfeld Road, 1997 Torbreck Run Rig, and 1998 Marquis Philips Integrity, 2001 Shirvington, and 1998 Jim Barry the Armagh. All are Shiraz.

This dinner wine tasting will be at Restaurant 2117 in West Los Angeles. I would like suggestions for Chef Hideo to make the best dishes. Thank you.

The obvious answer is LAMB in all forms, preferably grilled or slow roasted.

Alternatives - Roast game. Dark birds like goose. Fruity or savory sauces with not too much acidity.

I'd be making that appointment at the cosmetic dentist to have your teeth cleaned and whitened in advance. You're going to have deep purple stained teeth after that evening! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I would start with fresh shrimps boiled served with Charoub molasses [ no cream ]

The best aged veal you can find - served rare with the only sauce in mind - deglazing with a good shiraz.

I would season with a tiny bit of Atlantic salt.

Marinated lamb chops in Shiraz fried with a tiny bit of Fichoulin olive oil and served Med.

The Dessert could be a year old Spanish Manchego cheese.

or

73% dark chocolate with allspice bits and nutmeg parfait.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

I'd cellar the 1998 Grange for quite some time before drinking. That wine will be huge. If you must drink it, you'll likely have to decant it for 24 hours to smooth out. The '01 Shirvington will be equally monolithic.

I understand this is a tasting event, but is there a reason you couldn't find other vintages with a bit of bottle age on them? It seems like a shame to open a masterpiece like the Grange in its infancy.

My intention is to expose young great Australian wines to some of my Francofile friends. This may end up being too much fruit and over the top for some of them. I know they are young, but in some cases they mey still be available. I am not in the wine business but I love to expose people to wines they may otherwise never taste. By the way the 1998 Grange is surprisingly forward enough to really enjoy. I am sure that it will be better later but that is why extra bottles are a great idea. (Ha!)

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

How about kangaroo? (Seriously.) Recently, for an appetizer, I had some very rare kangaroo tenderloin with arugula and truffle oil (there might have been shaved parm-reg, but I can't remember) that was wonderful. The tenderloin is mild but the other ingredients would help it stand up to the Shiraz.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer