• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amma

prasad2

i parked in a lot around the corner for a few hours and it was about 35 dollars. i don't recommend that.

i would, however, recommend parking at the Port Authority lot (one of the least expensive options in midtown, save meters), and walking across or taking the E or something silly like that. this assumes you're coming from NJ.

Edited by tommy (log)

what I loved about Amma, is the balance of spices that is prevalent in all the dishes we had. During my first trip to Amma, I bratishly asked for a dsh of green chili, but the food hardly needs help at all.

In respect of Pan's question of "Robust Spicy-ness", the food at Amma is like a well executed version of a complex symphony with the perfect blend of harmony and counter points.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

The parking lot across the street costs almost as much as the meal. It is convenient, however.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

To really judge the artwork, I'll have to get a closer look, but from the photos, it looks like understated "background artwork" (by analogy with background music). I have no idea what the artwork at ADNY is, of course. :laugh:

Once upon a time, the Boteros at Jo Jo were our only complaint about the place. In particular, my father (the painter in the family) wanted a seat where he couldn't see them.

Sorry for going off on a tangent.

Michael aka "Pan"

ADNY has terrific sculptures all around the room, including on the tables. However, the "paintings" hung on the walls are bad abstract art crossed with "found object" mutilation of :shock: musical instruments. I suspect that you would find that as horrifying as I did.

I suppose you could be right about "background art" being the visual equivalent of background music, although most background music is totally unnecessary, whereas artwork pretty much always sets the tone of the place. The only restaurant I can think of without any decoration on the walls is Chanterelle -- and, of course, Great NY Noodletown. :biggrin:

I think I'll start a thread on art in restaurants on the General Topics board. There's a lot we could talk about. [Edit: here's the thread.]

Yes, I think that sculptures of mutilated instruments are usually pretty objectionable. Well, unless they're Bundys. :laugh::laugh::laugh: (Explanation: Bundy is a company that makes bargain-basement wind instruments, and their name is generally considered synonymous with "crap.")

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Over this past snow weekend; We managed to make another run to Amma (jee I feel like a rum-runner :) ) and despite the weather, it was reasonablly filled - We did not have anything new -- Bad weather calls for straight-laced ordering

I still think Salmon & Patri-ni-machi (OK, I'm from Mumbai and have a soft spot for parsi food :) )

Edited by anil (log)

anil

Oh I just can't wait until next summer, when I'll be in New York, city of my heart.

I hope that I'll have a chance for an Amma dining experience!

Congratulations, Mr. Saran & co.

All the best

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

We had lunch at Amma yesterday, and want to mention it as a wonderful alternative to the buffets found at most other Indian places. The prices for the two 2-course menus (North Indian and South Indian) were very reasonable ($10.95, as I recall) for the same incredibly high standard of preparation. Of course, I was unable to restrain myself and ordered enough extras to run up the tab, but someone with more self-discipline wouldn't have to do that. The South Indian vegetarian menu was truly unique and wonderful. This is a great way to dine at Amma on short notice, and I will be back soon.

After the great breakdown of ability in the eGullet subscription function, I lost every single topic-tracking (as they call it) I had. I have decided to let most of them go, but this is the first of a very few topics to which I am resubscribing.

I don't want to miss any news about Amma. I have my heart set on visiting New York again in the next six months...maybe for my birthday....and its success means much to me.

With enough notice, my wife and I would absolutely be there. Let's do it!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Another nod to Amma on the web - and by the James Beard Foundation no less! Here's the link: http://www.jamesbeard.org/dateline/index.shtml

Scroll down to the New York heading; you'll find it about three quarters of the way through the paragraph. The food at Amma is described as "a clever fusion of Indian flavors." Kudos once again to everyone at Amma - you all are the best! Save a table for me for my next visit to NYC (hopefully in the spring!). :biggrin:

Matthew in Minnesota