• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amma

prasad2

Everyone at Amma should be very proud of their accomplishments in working together to make this restaurant such a uniquely warm experience. William Grimes of the New York Times has written a sparkling review this morning of his meal at Amma. I was so excited when I came across this article. Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/24/dining/24JOUR.html

And here's an excerpt:

"Hemant Manthur, the tandoori master at Tamarind, has packed his tools and found a new oven at Amma. He's also found a new partner, Suvir Saran, a highly respected caterer, teacher and consultant, and a new mission, to make some serious southern Indian food."

My only concern is that now when I visit New York, I'll never be able to get a reservation at Amma! It will be packed to the gills with people clamoring for this flavorful experience.

Hemant and Suvir - Congratulations on your fine work, your attention to detail, and your sure and absolute fidelity to flavor.

Matthew in Minnesota

This may already have been posted in another forum, but William Grimes wrote a glowing review today:

DINER'S JOURNAL: Amma

Hemant Manthur, the tandoori master at Tamarind, has packed his tools and found a new oven at Amma. He's also found a new partner, Suvir Saran, a highly respected caterer, teacher and consultant, and a new mission, to make some serious southern Indian food.

Overall, nice review, but could have been longer!

Sun-Ki

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Great review, summed up by these concluding lines:

Amma, a modest little restaurant on a charmless block, is easy to pass by without noticing. That would be a serious error.

Congratulations, Suvir!

Michael aka "Pan"

yay! i was so happy when i saw mr. grimes' review this morning in the paper! suvir - your posts have been such an encouraging voice for my forays (successful and otherwise) into learning about the cuisines of india. i am sure you have had the same impact on countless other egulleters, and i couldn't have hoped for such a success as amma to happen for a better person! congrats to everyone who made it happen, and best of luck always! :biggrin:

"Things go better with cake." -Marcel Desaulniers

timoblog!

Oh, no, Suvir, please don't think that "eGullet has been largely unaware of Amma" -- not at all! Some of us :wink: are simply trying to figure out when we can get there. And after that piece today, I'm afraid we may have to fight to get in. :unsure: At least, for your and Hemant's sake, I hope that's true. :biggrin:

Oh, the tomato chutney :wub: the basil chicken :wub: the lemon rice :wub: the prawns :wub: and Hemant :wub: and Suvir :wub::wub::wub:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Great review, summed up by these concluding lines:
Amma, a modest little restaurant on a charmless block, is easy to pass by without noticing. That would be a serious error.

Congratulations, Suvir!

Thanks Pan! I could hardly take credit for Amma alone.

Anju the owner, Hemant, Bikky our sommelier, the entire staff and myself work hard together to make our small team work together to share something that is at once different and also something that will last and leave lasting impressions.

We have a great deal of work cut out for us still. :smile:

yay! i was so happy when i saw mr. grimes' review this morning in the paper! suvir - your posts have been such an encouraging voice for my forays (successful and otherwise) into learning about the cuisines of india. i am sure you have had the same impact on countless other egulleters, and i couldn't have hoped for such a success as amma to happen for a better person! congrats to everyone who made it happen, and best of luck always! :biggrin:

Timo, you are so very kind. I learn equally as much from countless eGulleteers.:smile:

Oh, no, Suvir, please don't think that "eGullet has been largely unaware of Amma" -- not at all!  Some of us  :wink:  are simply trying to figure out when we can get there.  And after that piece today, I'm afraid we may have to fight to get in.  :unsure:  At least, for your and Hemant's sake, I hope that's true.  :biggrin:

Oh, the tomato chutney  :wub:  the basil chicken  :wub:  the lemon rice  :wub:  the prawns  :wub:  and Hemant  :wub:  and Suvir  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Suzanne, we are a very small restaurant, and Gael Greene and NY Magazine had already packed us and more and now, we have another set of publicity, this time from the piece written by Mr. Grimes, and the phone is only busier and the seats still the precious few.

Last night, there were guests coming with a cut out of Gael Greene's piece and then a large number with the Diners Journal.

But I am sure, if you make some effort, you know how to reach me... and I can see what can be done about getting you in. :wink::wub:

Charmless block? (Grimes' review)

No block is charmless that has trees.

Suvir? I will meet you when I return to New York.

I am disappointed in the quality of my photographs (which I did find), as I didn't travel to New York with a tripod. I can upload certain shots, but they are not a complete depiction of our experience at Amma. Perhaps that is best. Perhaps just a slightly blurred shot of the colors and the tone and beauty of Amma and the food would work.

Let me see what I can do.

Charmless block? (Grimes' review)

No block is charmless that has trees.

Suvir? I will meet you when I return to New York.

I am disappointed in the quality of my photographs (which I did find), as I didn't travel to New York with a tripod. I can upload certain shots, but they are not a complete depiction of our experience at Amma. Perhaps that is best. Perhaps just a slightly blurred shot of the colors and the tone and beauty of Amma and the food would work.

Let me see what I can do.

I would say I have to agree with the NY Times (Mr. Grimes) about the block being largely charmless. We do have a beautiful garden next to the Sutton Place Synagogue that is particularly charming.... and then we have the amazing Oak tree that people can look at outside our restaurants windows. It is interesting that you noticed the trees. Most all customers comment on the lovely green leaves of the Oak tree you spot outside of our window. The time is come for it to shed... and I shall miss it thoroughly.

I shall go check the photographs now. Thanks for sharing. :smile:

Photographs of Amma

Suvir, there is one dish for which I do not remember the name. If you can tell me what it is, I shall edit.

I apologize for the imperfection of the photographs. I will be acquiring a mini-tripod for traveling before I return to NYC.

Stuffed Chicken Breasts is the name of the dish you had forgotten.

To my eyes, these are some of the best photographs I have seen on the internet about food. You are way to modest Tana. We could use your help in getting good food shots on the internet. You have a great eye and make great compositions. Not the usual boring displays of food that come out looking mechanical shots instead of anything lyrical even at the very least.

Thanks for taking them and posting them here. :smile:

I'll make a sign to wear around my neck for my next visit to NYC:

"WILL PHOTOGRAPH FOR INDIAN FOOD"

:biggrin:

I like the way the light came out...moody but pretty. I wish I had a shot of the samosas without the flash, because the flash is boring. On the other hand, not having a tripod, the one without is blurry. Too blurry for use.

I fixed the caption on the stuffed chicken breasts.

I wrote my impressions of Amma, and a week later leave town for AMS --

Holy Macro -- A whole slew of postings...

My only “complaint,” if it could be called that, is that I found some of the courses a tad large for a tasting menu. But my guess is that others with larger appetites would not find this a problem.

Guess I said the same thing, we agree - but, I eat in pickings -- My appetite is not something one would find in size in the 'mid-west' .

I have to take another bunch to 'Amma' before I say more :biggrin:

anil

Please I missed the 'Grimes' piece - So did I miss the 'tragedy of the world Series too' -- Clue me in  :blink:

Yeah, I am guessing eGullet has given up on the NY Times food section. Maybe all those discussions about the power of the NY Times or lack thereof, have finally given us all a reason to not empower them more with our lengthy posts.

The thread on the NY Times food section, has details on articles from Wednesday's food section and Diners Journal from Friday. But this Friday, the thread did not have any link or mention of the Diners Journal.

I write this to let you know you are not alone Anil. :shock::raz::wacko::laugh:

Have safe travels...

Amma remains just what you enjoyed before the piece in the NY Times this last Friday.

We will change the menu, but only towards the end of this year.

How excited am I? My chef friend, Betsy, is going to Amma this weekend with my best friend, Lori, who is in New York rehearsing for the upcoming production of Bernstein's MASS (to be staged with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra on the 40th anniversary of Kennedy's assassination, and filmed by PBS).

Betsy and Lori get to meet Suvir. So I'm trying not to be jealous but happy for them all.

I don't know how successful I am in managing the jealousy, but pretty well, I think, since I can't wait to get back to NYC and return to Amma myself. With Betsy.

I look forward to Betsy posting here herself. She loved Amma the first time, and I made her promise to take lots of notes.

EDIT: YO, BETSY! Bring your chef's jacket so Suvir can sign it, too.

Edited by tanabutler (log)

Yeah, I am guessing eGullet  has  given up on the NY Times food section.  Maybe all those discussions about the power of the NY Times or lack thereof, have finally given us all a reason to not empower them more with our lengthy posts.

The thread on the NY Times food section, has details on articles from Wednesday's food section and  Diners Journal from Friday.  But this Friday, the thread did not have any link or mention of the Diners Journal.

Probably because I didn't post to the thread until 4:30 in the morning.

If you check the thread now, you'll see that there is indeed mention of Amma. :wink:

Soba