• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philadelphia to Boothbay Harbor+ Boothbay H itself

Holly Moore

A bit of business has me driving from Philadelphia to Boothbay, one day each way.

I'm looking for some grease stain worthy lunch stops along the way - no more than 3 or 4 each way - and somewhat evenly spaced - Places I haven't already written up on HollyEats.Com

On the menu, hopefully, hot dogs, burgers, fried clams, lobster roll, bbq and whatever else falls under the umbrella of "Road Food." And some more hot dogs.

On the way up I'll be taking the Parkway system from NYC to New Haven, then up through Hartford, to the Mass Turnpike, bypassing Boston, the NH and Maine Turnpikes to Route 1. Same route the way back, but stopping over in Boston. Then, if there is some good eating along the way, home via Danburry CT and across the Tapanzee.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Holly,

I suspect you know all of my usual stops on that route (Pepe's in New Haven would be a definite)..but have you tried Nanuet Hotel in New City NY for pizza? It's off Little Tor Rd, I believe, which you get to off the Palisades. I don't believe this'd take you very far out of your way, and the pizza is quite good, and different from Pepe's.

Sara

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

There's a place in Ogunquit called Jonathan's. It's more formal, I guess, but the food was pretty good.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

On your trip back, I can recommend a few spots off I-84 that you might enjoy.

In order as you drive down from the north:

Phillips Diner in Woodbury (I 84 Exit 15, stay on that road till you get to Woodbury.) I have never had lunch here. The reason I recommend it is for one thing---doughnuts. They only have a few varieties and when they run out each day, c'est la vie . They cost 50 cents apiece, 25 cents for day old. Sugar/Cinnamon, chocolate frosted (my fave), jelly or lemon, that's it. These are what doughnuts should be.

They also make adorable little chicken pot pies which they freeze and you can get to go (never bought em 'cause I was never going right home after stopping by).

Carminuccio's for pizza. (I84 Exit 10, towards Newtown Center, left at the flagpole on Route 25, about a mile or so on the right, across the street from a strip mall with a Subway...) They don't use special equipment that I can see, but this place makes some terrific pizza! I haven't been able to do a fair taste comparison with Pepe's or Sally's because I haven't had a pie from either of those spots in a while.... but this place is really good, and basically unheard of...

Good Taste for earthy sandwiches and such... (Also Exit 10, but go towards Sandy Hook not Newtown Center.) This is a breakfast/lunch only spot and they have nice homemade breads, sandwiches and soups. Intriguing selection of cheeses as well.

JB BBQ is an undiscovered hole in the wall BBQ takeout only joint right off Exit 4, next to McDonald's. I am sure you still have fond memories of the Q in Tennessee (as do I), but this place has some good stuff for CT...especially the brisket. sandwiches are $3.75...they also have pulled pork, ribs, and the standard sides. Caveat: Closed Mondays.

Bon Appetit!

Trish

My couple of suggestions:

In Portland, Susan's Fish and Chips Telephone: 878-3240. Some of the best fried clams around, fried lobster tail, scallops shrimp, haddock, great onions rings -- they'll fry anything. The unique thing about this place is they serve a "boiled" tartar sauce that is delicious. Still, without it the clams are still great. Take the Forect Avenue West exit off 295 in Portland about two miles and it's on your right Keep your eyes open because is it easy to miss. If you go past McDonald's you've gone too far. So keep the phone number handy.

Also in Bath, Beal Street Barbecue. The usual fare. The advertising tagline is "Because it's a long, LONG way to Memphis." So long, apparently, they lost the last "e" on the trip.

Of the two, I'd say a visit to Susan's is the more important.

In Wiscasset, the Sea Basket, though I'm guessing you've already been.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

• 2 weeks later...

Holly,

Very interested in hearing an update on this trip and where you stopped along the way....or should I check your website first?

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

Just wanted to thank TrishCT - you have enhanced the NY to MA parent-visiting [and occasional Patriots game] drive with your suggestions. Last weekend we enjoyed a respectible pulled pork sandwich and an order of quite good corn fritters from JB BBQ, and we are planning Carminuccio's for next month's foray! :smile:

Just wanted to thank TrishCT - you have enhanced the NY to MA parent-visiting [and occasional Patriots game] drive with your suggestions.  Last weekend we enjoyed a respectible pulled pork sandwich and an order of quite good corn fritters from JB BBQ, and we are planning Carminuccio's for next month's foray!  :smile:

Glad you liked it and took a chance to try something new! Enjoy! :smile: If you come across anything else worth a stop on that drive let me know. I make it myself going to Massachusetts, and it's a bit boring foodwise.

Also, at Carminuccio's their fresh hot pizzas are great (as opposed to a warmed slice.)

Edited by TrishCT (log)

Pardon the late reply, but Super Duper Weenie in Fairfield (Black Roack Turnpike exit off of 95) is to die for. Everything (including the condiments) is made on-site. I'm sure that somewhere there is a Super Duper write-up on the site, but you can't go wrong with the regional dogs, the Pharfield Cheese Steak, or the Cheeseburger Deluxe (DEE-lux). Great fries, made to order.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to report from my trip last weekend that JB BBQ has closed - no signs to indicate that it relocated. :sad: We did try Carminuccios on our way up to the Pats AFC championship game last January - it was close to the level of what I ate during my 3 years in New Haven, but not quite. Still, a worthwhile stop when I am taking the Route 84 path north.

Sheri, it's sad that JB's closed. (couldn't compete with the MickeyD's next door.) One day about a month ago, I drove by and poof it had vanished. Too bad because it was a good easy on/easy off pit stop off I-84. in Danbury

• 4 years later...