• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Software for creating cookbooks

Monica Bhide

I need some help.. please! I am looking for software that will help me create and PRINT custom cookbooks. These books are not meant to be for retail. Mostly just 2 -3 copies will be created

I need something that has the power of a recipe software along with desktop publishing capabilties ( allowing me to change formats, add gra[hics etc.)

i would appreciate any help. All the stuff i found was low end and quite useless really

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

If you are willing to share your recipes with the rest of us, there always recipeGullet. It has a mode for printing recipes; here is an example. If you have suggestions that you think would improve the printable view, by all means make them.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

You're looking to do three things, it seems. And I don't know of a program that does all three well.

First, you're looking for recipe management software. This is likely to be a database-driven product with a certain feature set.

Second, you're looking for word-processing software, because you probably want to write about the recipes and you want to write an introduction and chapter-introductions. I'm sure you have word-processing software already.

Third, you're looking for desktop publishing software. This is a piece of design-oriented software that converts text into attractive page layouts.

To turn a database of recipes into a cookbook, you'd begin by creating the database of ingredients, instructions, and brief descriptions. Then in a word processor you'd create the more substantial textual portions of the book. Then you'd import the text from the database and the text from the word processor into the desktop publishing tool and you'd format it for printing.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks fat Guy

Actually I found a software to do the recipe mgmt and the personalized text. It can export into html or text.. then I am assuming I can use Publisher to do the layouts.

The software helps create the recipes, add the nutritional information, tips etc -- all in a standard format.

Then you can add a special section for stories..

All this is based on a demo I saw.. let me see what the tool can really do

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

http://www.cookspalate.com/pages/demo.htm

Looks like an interesting product. Let us know if it has the power you need.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've played with ERM on and off and while it's very powerful for managing recipes and customizing how you file them (and has great import features) it's not much for pretty output. Seems lie something database-backed that would let you include pictures would be perfect - especially if it could export the recipes to PDF format for easy printing. I occasionally think about writing such a thing myself just becasue I have yet to find anything I like. I'm downloading the Cook's Palate demo now.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Instead of posting an entirely new thread, I will temporarily hijack Monica's.

I am looking for most well-rounded recipe software. I want have a database of my favorite recipes at hand, and the ability to print them out to be aesthetically pleasing. Out of all the options given on this and other threads, which tends to be the favorite among those who frequent eGullet?