• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who are your customers?

This is a great treat to have you for a Q&A. We’re seeing more and more Bonny Doon labels up here in Toronto. Please keep them coming!

My question is, do you know, broadly speaking, who your customer's are? (Or do you care?)

Judging by your site (at which I have received exemplary customer service), you are building some a database of wine lovers. If you are, have you noticed any demographic trends over the years? Or do you ship more cases to certain cities or regions? In the USA? In the world?

Yours truly,

Malcolm

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

Dear Malcolm,

Thanks very much for your note. In fact, I have only the most subjective view of who our customer might be. In my fevered imagination, he/she is an assistant (untenured) professor somewhere, who has an intellectual curiosity about wine, is well educated and well travelled but has a limited wine budget. In fact, I do think that our customers tend to be a lot more open-minded than many, adventurous, have a good sense of fun. We are really seeing a pretty generalized growth in all of our markets, but the real factor seems to be the effectiveness of our distributors in a particular market; they are the gatekeepers. In fact, I am certain that we are gradually reaching a new market segment; I have it on the best authority that there are now Republicans who are drinking our wine. RG.