• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Trip

Coop

Mrs Coop and I are planning our annual fall trip to Seattle. We are looking for a dinner recomendation. Our first night we will be returning to the Harvest Vine, so we are covered there. We also need lunch recomendations. We have already done both Campagne's, Le Pichet, Sazerac, Tulio's, Dahlia Lounge, iCon Grill, and a few others.

I have heard Mistral is good is it? Do they have a web site? I am open to suggestion.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

We've been discussing Mistral feverishly over the last two weeks. See this thread, and go to Mistral!

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...ST&f=7&t=27971&

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Mashiko's. (the second page has pics! though some are bad --> read mine)

Or if you want to try fugu (yes! fugu!), the new season is about to start: Shiki sushi restaurant. The last post actually talks about fugu.

I'd go back to either of these restaurants before Shiro's. Though Shiro's isn't that expensive for the quality, Mashiko's has much better ingenuity (order the expert omakase) and is less expensive, and Shiki has fugu! Shiki is like Shiro's, high quality but very traditional.

For lunch you shouldn't miss Salumi.

Hey, all. A new member to this august forum adding my few cents [or less, your call]

I lived in Seattle from 1978 m-1986, moved all around the USA and world and expect to return in Dec '03. Been visiting my House there/here[?] ever since. My addition to this, welcome /requested or not, is to Beer info. for visitors.

If you like hoppy India Pale Ales in the modern American idiom you can't do much better than the small Mukelteo Brew Pub's Diamond Knot Industrial IPA, although hop neonophytes may want to start with the entry level hop-head version, plain old IPA, leaving the Industrial version to the hop nutters loose on the West Coast, most of whom, BTW, are in CA, not WA - IMHO having lived in Tiburon/Mill Valley the past 3.5 years.

But we [or is it me who commits the sin of wandering] digress from the thread. The past several years, including a scant 4 weeks ago, I've enjoyed the Shanghai Gardens in Issaquah for their great noodle soups and other concoctions of authentic shaved noodles. Anyone else a fan?

I can only reiterate my impressions of Mistral...Incredible food, atmosphere and service. It is absolutely top-notch.

Cafe' Juanita in Kirkland is also wonderful but not quite as sophisticated in presentation...still a knock-out.

OK sue me, I also love Herbfarm.

Thanks.  I've been needing some new Seattle suggestions.

Does anyone know if the restaurant in the W Hotel is any good?

Bruce

It's called Earth & Ocean, and I think it's good. About 6 months ago I had some very good squab stuffed with foie gras and chestnuts. The pastry chef, Sue McCowns, makes some gorgeous desserts.

You will hear mixed things about it, but it's probably one of the two good downtown hotel restaurants we have left.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Bruce

It's called Earth & Ocean, and I think it's good. About 6 months ago I had some very good squab stuffed with foie gras and chestnuts. The pastry chef, Sue Cowns, makes some gorgeous desserts.

You will hear mixed things about it, but it's probably one of the two good downtown hotel restaurants we have left.

The other being Brasserie Margaux in the Warwick of course!! (which everyone coming to town should try....)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

If you like Japanese, Shiki (on 3rd and Roy, lower Queen Anne) is the best in town. Not the fanciest, but it is very authentic. My wife and I moved to Seattle from Kyoto and find Shiki to give us the best experience when we are "homesick" (quotes because I lived in Montana before Kyoto).

Bruce

It's called Earth & Ocean, and I think it's good. About 6 months ago I had some very good squab stuffed with foie gras and chestnuts. The pastry chef, Sue Cowns, makes some gorgeous desserts.

I agree with MsRamsey. I've had bad experiences here in the past, but two recent trips seemed to show an increased effort in pulling together the front and back of the house. The flavors were much improved, seasoning spot on and complexities balanced.

I had a grilled ling cod wrapped in grape leaves with grapes, baby potatoes and verjus that was particularly wonderful. Clever (grapes coming in three forms) and delicious, a remarkable texture to the fish, which picked up a smokiness from the grill, yet remained very moist, protected from drying out by the grape leaf. Quite smart and well executed. An octopus salad was also well done, properly dressed, delicate salad greens with small bits of grilled octopus.

Actually Sue McCown's desserts have been the only continual disappointment to me. Her dishes are "clever" and even "sassy," but the kind of "fun" with dessert that comes with quotation marks makes me cringe. I find her dishes to be too style based, a lot of sugar work and gimmicky stuff, tuiles in cool shapes, etc. That's all impressive pastry work, I suppose, but all that I've eaten (save her sorbets) have been too sweet. Sticky-sweet. Stuff that makes you want to brush your teeth immediately, or rush to drink some coffee to even it out. The Cherry Crackle Pop, for instance, was good in a few of its basic elements, namely the crust of the tart and the creme fraiche sorbet, but killed with an enormous amount of powdered sugar over the top and a filling whose sweetness overrode even the tartness of the dried cherries baked inside.

And the dining room staff seems to be much improved, thankfully. The first time I went, a busser was chewing gum the whole time with the exceptional languidness of a giraffe.

Where is Union going?

1st and union - across the street from the south end of the Pike Place Market. A black hole for restaurants.

Oh yeah - Brasa? Good food - half priced bar menu 5-7 and after 10? Not that bad for full priced, some special events regularly...

Actually Sue McCown's desserts have been the only continual disappointment to me [snip] all that I've eaten (save her sorbets) have been too sweet. Sticky-sweet. Stuff that makes you want to brush your teeth immediately, or rush to drink some coffee to even it out.

You're not alone in feeling this way.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Where is Union going?

1st and union - across the street from the south end of the Pike Place Market. A black hole for restaurants.

Love quoting myself.

Looked at the menu for Union - they have a multicourse tasting menu for $65 with some fine sounding dishes. Working with tongue, foie gras, sweetbreads and such, as well as interesting cheeses, vegetables and "safer" meats and fish.

Starters and seconds in the $8-15 range, entrees are mostly under $20.

I liked the vibe - happy staff so far. Needs business (at least mid-week.)

Looked at the menu for Union - they have a multicourse tasting menu for $65 with some fine sounding dishes. Working with tongue, foie gras, sweetbreads and such, as well as interesting cheeses, vegetables and "safer" meats and fish.

Starters and seconds in the $8-15 range, entrees are mostly under $20.

Do you know if they have a website yet? I tried looking around a little, but struck out...

...until I tried a couple likely url's that is: www.unionseattle.com. Nothing other than a front page yet.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 3 weeks later...

Coop, I may be slightly biased, since my brother owns the place, but the restaurant just made Wine Spectator, so I am in good company. When in Seattle, take the short treck across the bridge to Bellevue for dinner at Bis on Main. Check out the web site, www.bisonmain.com. If you go, I'd love to hear what you think.

We will take Bis into consideration. Thank you. How did this turn into an Earth and Ocean discussion? Are you people psychic? We are staying at the W. and have considered eating there. What about Sundstrom's new place? I saw him on Chefs Afield on Saturday and I am curious about him and Earth and Ocean. Anything new to report on either?

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Bruce

I ate once at 727 Pine when Danielle Custer was still there. I thought it was extraordinary. Does anyone know if the successor chef is as good?

I ate a wonderful lunch at Serafina a few years (but a miserable dinner there one New Year's Eve, which I discount since no restaurant seems to be able to handle big holidays). What do you think of it?

I don't think anyone here has mentioned Place Pigalle & Chez Shea. I like them both very much.

Coop, I may be slightly biased, since my brother owns the place, but the restaurant just made Wine Spectator, so I am in good company.  When in Seattle, take the short treck across the bridge to Bellevue for dinner at Bis on Main.  Check out the web site, www.bisonmain.com.  If you go, I'd love to hear what you think.

I've eaten there. It was a really nice restaurant. Not pretentious (which is a good thing). But really good food. The room was quiet & relaxing. Service was friendly. I recommend it.

We'd tried to find some good places to eat on the eastside. Never could get a reservation at Cafe Juanita. When we found Bis we were relieved because we haven't liked too much else in Bellevue/Kirkland. If there are other places on the eastside we should try, pls. let me know.