• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Perfect Pomfret

Fat Guy

The best food memory from my honeymoon ..............I kept a daily journal

Does your spouce know?

Yes, he was sitting next to me in bed as I scribbled, or across from me at a cafe (he'd be reading a book in either circumstance). Now you've inspired me to drag out this diary.

I drew little pictures too, and I'm not much of an artist. I drew a diagram of a typical Milanese cafeteria (these are narrow shops with long counters with premade sammiches, some pastries, a cappuccino bar, wine, and liquors on one side, and seating on the other side. My favorite was standing at the back by the cappuccino, people stand there to drink and gossip with friends and coworkers for long breaks.)

In London I drew a picture of our table in a tiny nook at Food for Thought when we ate dinner there. It's a little vegetarian eatery in the Covent Garden area. The table was almost totally private and we sat on cushions rather than chairs and shared bowls of vegetable stir-fry over brown rice. Groovy. From another page, here's a list of items I noticed at the mini-Sainsbury's supermarket near our hotel: meringue nests, 3 varieties of King's syrup, at least 8 real butters including at least 1 from Normandy, unrefrigerated eggs, tinned beef, hard liquor, beer singles, jam-filled donuts, and premade sandwiches ranging from ordinary ham and cheese to baps with chicken tikka. Since then I've made a vow to visit a grocery whenever we're in another country.

It's not all food, I drew pictures of contemporary art we saw in Italy and England, wrote details about people I observed in Hyde Park, documented shopping for shoes for both of us, etc etc.

Rochelle -- reading your post I could almost picture it myself. You will really treasure this ten years from now -- trust me -- nothing can replace that walk down memory lane... (specially when your memory begins to get hazy :wink: )

Thanks for sharing such a lovely post

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica: Congratulations on your tenth wedding anniversary.

Most fascinating story and recipe (I will treasure this recipe), yet seems so simple in preperation. I shall try to prepare this curry within the next two weeks. Yes, my Korean supplier carries this pomfret and I can only buy it by the case (frozen).

How much "ghar ki mitti" (Earth of your home) do you still have left.

How did you manage to do the "sun dried yogurt chilies". Did you make these chilies from scratch or did you buy them packaged? Do you have a recipe you can share may be? My mother does them too and I love it fried with some steamed rice and dal (cooked lentils). I, now and then steal those chilies from home to cook at the restaurant.

Sounds like this Grand old Housekeeper is from South India! Is this a tradiotional recipe of what region?

The name "New Bride's Pomfret curry" is the traditional name ? or is it the name you gave?

BTW, I second Suvir on you (Monica) leading the Indian forum.

Thanks for sharing a precious recipe.

• 1 month later...

Wonderful article, Monica!

I'm from Madras and this is my second post on egullet.

We make a fish curry at home with something called kodumpulli from Kerala which sounds very similar to kokum. I asked my father and he claims that they're both the same genera.

I love pomfret too though my favourite recipe would have to be my grandmother's fish moilee with coconut milk. Mmmmm!!!