• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

And The Winners Are.....

Rich Pawlak

The 2003 GABF is now over, a rollicking weekend in Denver, and here are the medal winners. The Philadelphia area was well represented, but, for me, the best things about the medals list are the names of the brews:

http://www.beertown.org/events/gabf/03winners.htm

Enjoy!

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

My favorite beer names this year:

Honey Act Your Sage, Flossmoor Station Brewing Co., Flossmoor, IL

Helles of a Play, SandLot Brewery at Coors Field, Denver, CO

Custer's Last Ale, Snake River Brewing Co., Jackson, WY

Man Beer, Bull & Bush Brewery, Denver, CO

Hoppus Maximus, Thirsty Dog Brewing Co., Akron, OH

In-Heat Wheat, Flying Dog Brewery, Denver, CO

and the best name this year--by far---:

John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt Dunkeldoppelhefe, The Great Dane Pub and Brewing Co., Madison, WI

and there rae plenty other clever ones .

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Rich,

I wasn't too impressed with the Bull & bush brews....but I do have to say that I love their logo! I tasted the Man Man beer, it was OK......but nothing to write home about.

I didn't get a chance to talk to the brewers from the Great Dane brewery, but I did enjoy their beers!

The best one of the show was the West Brothers Up All Night Espresso Stout. A 1/2 of espresso in every pint!

What was your favorite beer this year?? BTW, thanks for the pointers this year! I'm going to have to go every year now :raz:

Think before you drink.......I think I'll have another!

My faves are (were):

ANYTHING from Flossmoor Station, Flossmoor, IL

ANYTHING from Pizza Port, Solana Beach, CA

All Bell's beers (Kalamazoo. MI)

All of Sly Fox Brewpub's (Phoenixville, PA) beers as well

And I really enjoy ther New Glarus beers, even the fruit ones.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I'd have to agree with you about Pizza Port....I was very surpised! I loved the Cuvee de Tomme! I didn't t think that you can get beers like that brewed here in the US.....I'm happy that they proved me wrong! I also liked the New Glarus beers too, growing up in Wisconsin it's nice to see somebody from the 'motherland' win such a great award.

I also liked the smoked porter from the Alaskan Brewing. I also really was surprised that I liked a watermellon beer.....I just can't remember who brewed it!

Think before you drink.......I think I'll have another!

A couple of things come to mind as I read the list of winners:

First, I'm happy to see that the New Glarus brewery is still winning awards. We in Wisconsin continue to be spoiled by their great beers.

It is great that educated tasters agree with my humble opinion that Point Special tastes better than Genuine Draft. I would go so far as to say that Point is far better.

Lastly, I smiled when I saw Mickey's as a silver medalist. I had no idea when I was a youngster, drinking Big Mouth after Big Mouth, that I was enjoying something special. I just knew it had that malt liquor kick and the bottle was weird.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Where are all of my favorites, from Victory, Dogfish Head, Stoudt's, etc.??

Do some breweries not enter, and if so, why not??

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Victory has not entered the GABF competition, to my knowledge, and I have never seen them at GABF. I am surprised that Dogfish HEad didnt win any medals, but that's just how it goes, I guess. Stoudt's hasn't competed at GABF for the last 3 or 4 years, after being shut out of any medals a few years back.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 2 weeks later...

Victory has not entered the GABF competition, to my knowledge, and I have never seen them at GABF. I am surprised that Dogfish HEad didnt win any medals, but that's just how it goes, I guess. Stoudt's hasn't competed at GABF for the last 3 or 4 years, after being shut out of any medals a few years back.

Some breweries like DFH don't fare so well because so many of their beers don't conform to style guidelines.

• 2 weeks later...

Some breweries like DFH don't fare so well because so many of their beers don't conform to style guidelines.

Victory entered once (they were not on the floor, just sent beers for judging) and got shut out. They took a closer look at what went on, and decided not to enter any competitions that charged fees; they didn't like the concept. FWIW, I somewhat agree. They HAVE won awards, but in competitions where they are "entered" by the people doing the judging (US Beer Tasting Championships, Malt Advocate Brewery of the Year, top 50 on www.beeradvocate.com). Stoudt's has won an impressive number of medals over the years, but... well, I definitely believe there is a bias in the judging. Judges and stewards hotly deny this, but I can't see how it isn't there. I don't mean to imply a malicious bias, but rather an unintentional one. Every year I get a list of the judges for the GABF. Every year the number of judges from New England is smaller than the number from overseas. Every year the number of judges from the west is predominant. These judges are voting for what their everyday tasting tells them is the right beer. They like what they know. Understandable, but biased.

Leastways, that's my take on it. And indeed, Dogfish Head is way out of the style categories, as is Magic Hat. GABF does a good job, but it's far from the final arbiter of the best beers in America.

Lew

Lew Bryson

I Drink for a Living

Somewhere in the world...it's Beer O'Clock. Let's have one.

Category: 18 American-Style Light Lager - 27 Entries

Gold: Old Style Light , Pabst Brewing Co., San Antonio, TX

Silver: Miller Lite, Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI

Bronze: Old Milwaukee Light, Pabst Brewing Co., San Antonio, TX

Category: 20 American-Style Lager - 21 Entries

Gold: Old Milwaukee Pabst Brewing Co., San Antonio, TX

Silver: Rainier, Pabst Brewing Co., San Antonio, TX

Bronze: Stegmaier Gold Medal, The Lion Brewery, Inc., Wilkes-Barre, PA

Geez, we always drank these beers when we were young because you could buy 5 cases for $20. And who would have thunk that Old Milwaukee is brewed in Texas.

Category: 18 American-Style Light Lager - 27 Entries

Gold: Old Style Light , Pabst Brewing Co., San Antonio, TX

Silver: Miller Lite, Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI

Bronze: Old Milwaukee Light, Pabst Brewing Co., San Antonio, TX

Category: 20 American-Style Lager - 21 Entries

Gold: Old Milwaukee Pabst Brewing Co., San Antonio, TX

Silver: Rainier, Pabst Brewing Co., San Antonio, TX

Bronze: Stegmaier Gold Medal, The Lion Brewery, Inc., Wilkes-Barre, PA

Geez, we always drank these beers when we were young because you could buy 5 cases for $20. And who would have thunk that Old Milwaukee is brewed in Texas.

it's not actually. That's just where the Pabst offices are. It's really brewed by Miller.

Lew

Lew Bryson

I Drink for a Living

Somewhere in the world...it's Beer O'Clock. Let's have one.