• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kronenbourg 1664 "Premier Cru"

Andy Lynes

Kronenbourg have launched a new premium lager called 1664 Permier Cru. Retailing at £1.99 for a 500ml bottle, it is somewhat more expensive that the standard 1664 which you can pick up for around £3.99 for a pack of 4 440ml cans.

It comes in a striking matt blue bottle and is 6% volume (1% more than the standard brew). The website states that it is made using a "combination of roasted barley and hops" which are fermented slowly over a long period to create a "mellow premium lager with a dark, lustrous colour and an aroma with hints of honey, bourbon and soft fruits".

I really liked the look of the bottle, so couldn't resist trying some. I have to say I was underwhelmed. The beer was certainly stronger and darker with a little more flavour than your average lager, but that wouldn't be terribly difficult to achieve. Honey, bourbon and soft fruits were not in evidence, to my palette at least.

So despite how nice it looked in the fridge, I won't be tempted to pay over a third more for my Saturday night (and any other night of the week come to think of it) beer.

Why are you tempted by such beers anyway? We all had such a high opin

Sorry, got lost there for a minute.

Great review, Andy. I'll make sure I don't try it. I was about to buy a very large quantity. :biggrin:

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

I am delighted to hear that you sought good counselling for your disgusting habit.

On topic for a mo, I tend to avoid all products with the insidious description, 'Brewed under Licence in the UK'.

Remember when San Miguel tasted of hops?

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

As far as I know, it's an export-only marketing concoction. It doesn't exist here in France, its native country...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog