• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Yannick Cam Restaurant

Mark Sommelier

The Total coupons were an insert in the Post a week ago Sunday. They feature these inserts every six months or so but the $50 off of sale prices is a once a year feature. I noted in the Safeway near me tonight that Sebastiani cab was $19.99. Total had it for $12.99 minus the coupon which brought it down to $10.98. Last year I bought four cases of '99 Chateau Souverain merlot (WS 92 points) for about $10.75 using a similar coupon. That was smooth then; now with a year of bottle age it's even better. Arguably, as good of a $10.75 wine that I will ever taste. Locally, Giant was selling this for about $22. I also should note the reverse of this that when C/W was selling BV Rutherford '99 for $14.99 on a special Total had it for $25.99.

For anyone that's interested Costco still has NOT taken delivery of its 2000 Margaux which they will sell for $299. The bargain of the year, though, was 2000 Gruard Larose for $39.99. Lafite was $299 with two cases available at Fairfax for a whole hour before it sold out. I saw both and Margaux at Hediard in Paris for about $770-per bottle.

The Total coupons were an insert in the Post a week ago Sunday.  They feature these inserts every six months or so but the $50 off of sale prices is a once a year feature.  I noted in the Safeway near me tonight that Sebastiani cab was $19.99.  Total had it for $12.99 minus the coupon which brought it down to $10.98.  Last year I bought four cases of '99 Chateau Souverain merlot (WS 92 points) for about $10.75 using a similar coupon.  That was smooth then; now with a year of bottle age it's even better.  Arguably, as good of a $10.75 wine that I will ever taste.  Locally, Giant was selling this for about $22.  I also should note the reverse of this that when C/W was selling BV Rutherford '99 for $14.99 on a special Total had it for $25.99.

For anyone that's interested Costco still has NOT taken delivery of its 2000 Margaux which they will sell for $299.  The bargain of the year, though, was 2000 Gruard Larose for $39.99.  Lafite was $299 with two cases available at Fairfax for a whole hour before it sold out.  I saw both and Margaux at Hediard in Paris for about $770-per bottle.

Joe,

2002 futures prices have just been released by Calvert Woodley. Lafite and all the other PGC's were $95 a bottle. I saw 2nd growths for as little as $275 a case. This may be the sleeper bargain vintage of the decade. 2000 Bordeaux are no bargains, but 99's continue to be the great undiscovered vintage. NDC has actually lowered their prices for these wines. I am able to buy Mouton Rothschild for $85 a bottle. This is unprecedented.

Mark

I remember the '87 Pichon Lalande which was a terrible vintage. It sold for about $22 or 23 a bottle. Two years of bottle age and this wine was delicious.

Mark, you're right about the 2002 futures. On Wine-Searcher Gruard Larose is $325, Pichon Baron $425. The Lafite price at C/W is a really good one-the lowest listed is $115 on Wine Searcher.

I usually don't buy first growths but for the 2000's I have two mixed cases along with five or six other cases of what I found at various Costcos. I actually drove to Winchester for two cases of the Gruard Larose. But I felt comfortable buying since many of their prices were so low.

Do you ever come across Leonetti? I've been on their mailing list for 12 years. (I traded some to Michael Franz a number of years ago-he'd never had it.) In fact I drink a lot of Washington state merlot and some cab. L'ecole 41 has had some excellent bottles in the 30 range. Some years of Leonetti ('94, '98, '99) they've been superb. I'm also big on buying cases of Chateau Ste. Michelle merlot for $10 or so a bottle and putting it away for three or four years. It actually improves and drinks like a $30 bottle with several years.

Joe,

I gave up on trying to find Leonetti a while ago. I have a friend who is on the mailing list, but he only comes up with single bottles. I remember the '94 as being really good. Easier to find is Glen Fiona in Walla Walla. They make a kickass syrah. The winemaker's brother is the winemaker at Leonetti. They obviously talk to each other.

Mark