• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

Am I really THAT confusing? I'm scared of what I may be on tv!

Nah, it was just the "as of such-and-such a time today" that threw me off. Took me a while to realize you were referring to the time your were posting.

Sherri A. Jackson

Okay, so when IS the next meetup, now? (the one at Burger Joint)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

So elyse, how did it go?

Not to beleager the Burger, but I've been reading the 2003 edition of "Best Food Writing" on the train. Last night, I came across Saveur editor Colman Andrews' ode to the burger, "Hamburger Rules":

Emblematic the burger is -- a triple-decker cultural affirmation for each of us who enjoys one, an edible symbol that announces three things:  I eat meat. I am an American, perhaps in nationality but certainly in spirit. And I know what I like, which is simply this:  my hamburger."

He also waxes at length about the endless variations on the hamburger patty, things which may be added or topped with, and "the question of the bun." Reminded me of our own BC debates. I'll try to remember to bring a copy to the next BC outing.

*sigh* Sorry to have to tell you once again, that the interview was postponed along with some other stories. (Now I don't feel so bad)! I swear, people, I didn't make all of this up! I actually wish they'd just bring me in and we'd tape the thing and they'd show it when they have a spot. Alas, I have no choice in the matter.

Love that ode, alacarte! I'd love to see it.

Didn't know about the postponement.

Watched almost 45 minutes of Cavuto until I mercifully fell asleep.

Elyse, when you are re-scheduled, yell REALLY LOUDLY at the start of your segment so that I don't miss it.

Invite him to a future club outing. That should be interesting.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Awww Mark. All I can say is that you should check into the thread around 2:00. That's about when it looks like they'd have to tell me, and I'd have a chance to report. The best I can do.

Hello, newbie here,

I have enjoyed the Big Nicks Burger, JG Melon is okay, The Velsuka burger is fine, Corner Bistro is acceptable, Pauls works for me, the Odessa Burger is not worth it, hate Jackson Hole, enjoy White Castle, Suzies Sliders are no match, will be trying the Luger Burger on Monday - but I haven't seen my favorite burger (and sorry 54 pages is a lot to digest) mentioned, the Kaluba Burger at Cozy Soup and Burger.

Welcome MRX! What is a Kaluba? We have our rules, you know....

I haven't been to Cozy in years, but I was thoroughly unimpressed every time I went there. I think I went back often was that I was at NYU, and I loved hearing the shortorder-speak. Are they worth a try these days?

I'll bring the list up again, and you can quote it and add your picks to the bottom if you'd like.

Hello, newbie here,

I have enjoyed the Big Nicks Burger, JG Melon is okay, The Velsuka burger is fine, Corner Bistro is acceptable, Pauls works for me, the Odessa Burger is not worth it, hate Jackson Hole, enjoy White Castle, Suzies Sliders are no match, will be trying the Luger Burger on Monday - but I haven't seen my favorite burger (and sorry 54 pages is a lot to digest) mentioned, the Kaluba Burger at Cozy Soup and Burger.

MRX

Our unscientific survey says that Blue Smoke is tops at this point, but my personal favorite among the few we've tried is "Parker Meridien burger joint" (small b and j). Read about it several pages back.

Savoy

L'Express

Smith & Wollensky's

Cafe Luxemburg

Chumley's

Blue Smoke

Mchale's

Luger's

White Manna (NJ)

Burger Joint

PJ Clarke's

Fairway's

Old Town Bar

Corner Bistro

Judson Grill

Mc Sorley's

Island Burger

Jackson Hole

Now:

Veselka

Blue9

Friar's Coffee Shop

That other place

Piper's Kilt

Thalia

Ear Inn

Cozy Soup n Burger

Add your picks! Hey, Cozy IS on it....

Edited by elyse (log)

Thank you. I have been interested in the PM Burger for some time. The Kaluba burger is a huge beef burger with some very good toppings (fried onions, tomato, ham and American cheese among them) - the "bleeps" at Jackson Hole have stolen this name as well. I think that burger choice is very personal, like pizza choice (I am a Lombardi's eater but have great respect for Totonno's [Coney Island only]).

I should have mentioned how disappointing I have found Hamburger Harry's and Burger Heaven lately...although I did buy Richard Branson a Burger at Burger Heaven once.

Welcome, MRX!

Is Hamburger Harry's still around? The one in midtown, I guess? We used to like them well enough when they first opened on Chambers Street (long since closed), but the service was always horrible. They had some interesting toppings and buns, as I recall.

I recently was at Burger Heaven, and thought that for a broiled burger, it was not bad. Nice beefy flavor. Should be less expensive, though, for the whole thing.

Remember Bun and Burger? :wub:

Welcome, MRX!

Is Hamburger Harry's still around? The one in midtown, I guess? We used to like them well enough when they first opened on Chambers Street (long since closed), but the service was always horrible. They had some interesting toppings and buns, as I recall.

I recently was at Burger Heaven, and thought that for a broiled burger, it was not bad. Nice beefy flavor. Should be less expensive, though, for the whole thing.

Remember Bun and Burger? :wub:

Hamburger Harry's is right around the corner from the Virgin Megastore in Times Square...next to the Bertlesmann building. Nothing was particularly good there. I agree w/ you re. Burger Heaven's prices.

Now have we ever done where do get the best burger overseas? Because the Kheema Burger in Tokyo might be a winner.

I'm pretty tolerant when it come to burgers and will finish almost anything. However -- 2 bites into the burger at Cozy and I was almost ill. Big gray hunk of slimy, greasy, wet meat. And I mean big. And slimy. And gray.

I think I'll have to pass when the burger club goes there. I couldn't stomach it again.

Sherri A. Jackson