• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

Tomorrow morning, WOR AM radio will be interviewing me regarding Burger Club.  I would appreciate any ideas that I might get across to them in advance so I don't come off as a complete pratt.

If anyone wants to figure out any statistics, I am open to (sheesh) facts.  How many members we have, views per day, bla bla bla.  I may not have a chance to say anything, being a fraidy cat, but it's better to be prepared in case I'm a smooth talker. (Must not curse on the radio).

You may wish to dispel the description of a Burger Club as "mainly middle-aged white collar types." BC represents a wider cross-section of people than that, and has even drawn a visitor from across the sea. The total cholesterol content of a typical 12 person BC outing totals 1800 and we weigh 1800 pounds (averaging 150). We are 66 feet tall and totally waterproof.

On second thought, use your own material.

EG stats: over 8600 members, over 440,000 posts

BC stats: 1450 posts, almost 26,000 views

(edited to add last two lines)

Edited by MHesse (log)

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Taking a break from working, and WOW!!!

You gotta impress upon the interviewer that fact that burger-eaters in large numbers really tax the abilities of the grillman, waiter, and runners. A good restaurant will have a very low incidence of temperature fuck-ups -- oops, can't say that; try "temperature anomalies." :biggrin:

I hope Picaman (the REAL statistician :wink: ) comes up with some numbers. I think it would be a hoot to sound really pseudo-scientific. By my estimate, we have about a dozen hard-core members (who have made 60% or more of the meetings), and another dozen members-slash-hangers-on who have come to one or more. That means we constitute approximately two-tenths of one percent of total eGullet membership -- and even less of regular site readers. We're just the tip of the iceberg lettuce.

And of course you have to mention that eGullet members have formed BC branches in the United Kingdom and the Pacific coast of Canada: We're international! (Can we get numbers from them, too?)

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Announcement

Tomorrow morning, WOR AM radio will be interviewing me regarding Burger Club. I would appreciate any ideas that I might get across to them in advance so I don't come off as a complete pratt.

Whatever you say, I don't think you should give the impression that there's anything scientific about what we do. Among the group there is a range of tastes, which hopefully leads to some good advice on finding a good burger.

SuzanneF asked about the Vancouver Burger Club and to give her any information that might dispell the thinking that we are all "white collared middle aged jerks". We have only had one meeting of our club and it was attended by 9 members. It was at Moderne Burger. We are having our second meeting this friday at Feenie's. As for the second thing I am unable to speak to it as it pretty much describes me to a T.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

this is sooooo exciting. elyse is gonna be famous, elyse is gonna be famous (dances round lounge)

we've had three meetings so far with a fourth planned for next week. we have yet to find burger nirvana....i wasn't at the most populous meeting (hummm. no coincidence i hope) but there's a core of four of us that's augmented by people who aren't burger obsessed (why not?) travelling americans teaching us brits about real burgers and people with lives other than bc (how andy? how?)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Announcement

Tomorrow morning, WOR AM radio will be interviewing me regarding Burger Club. I would appreciate any ideas that I might get across to them in advance so I don't come off as a complete pratt.

If anyone wants to figure out any statistics, I am open to (sheesh) facts. How many members we have, views per day, bla bla bla. I may not have a chance to say anything, being a fraidy cat, but it's better to be prepared in case I'm a smooth talker. (Must not curse on the radio).

eGullet has already been mentioned as the site where one can find Burger Club.

Umm, that's all I have to say for now. Tell your friends!

Tuesday morning, 1/6, TOMORROW

WOR AM dial 710, I believe

The Morning Show with Ed Walsh

8:10 am - the MORNING

THAT'S all I have to say.

And for those of us who are not so privileged as to live in the New York Metro area -- and, therefore, cannot participate in BC, except, of course, vicariously, please tune your web browser to:

WOR Live on the Web

Note: Real Player required.

Announcement

Tomorrow morning, WOR AM radio will be interviewing me regarding Burger Club.  I would appreciate any ideas that I might get across to them in advance so I don't come off as a complete pratt.

If anyone wants to figure out any statistics, I am open to (sheesh) facts.  How many members we have, views per day, bla bla bla.  I may not have a chance to say anything, being a fraidy cat, but it's better to be prepared in case I'm a smooth talker. (Must not curse on the radio).

eGullet has already been mentioned as the site where one can find Burger Club.

Umm, that's all I have to say for now.  Tell your friends!

Tuesday morning, 1/6, TOMORROW

WOR AM dial 710, I believe

The Morning Show with Ed Walsh

8:10 am - the MORNING

THAT'S all I have to say.

And for those of us who are not so privileged as to live in the New York Metro area -- and, therefore, cannot participate in BC, except, of course, vicariously, please tune your web browser to:

WOR Live on the Web

Note: Real Player required.

Durn! MichaelB you beat me to it!

-signed one vicarious BC thread reader

I saw the article this weekend and think your club us fantastic and want to congratulate you all on all the good publicity. I really respect you because you pointed out that the corner bistro really does serve an overrated burger.

Thanks again

Wow! What fantastic news. It's interesting how the story is being picked up.

I guess that means I have to wake up early tomorrow morniing. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I saw the article this weekend and think your club us fantastic and want to congratulate you all on all the good publicity. I really respect you because you pointed out that the corner bistro really does serve an overrated burger.

Thanks again

Thank you Foodguy! I love first time posters! Thanks for reading. Where are you located?

I live (and work in midtown). I am a little disapointed that you guys spread the word on Burger Joint -- it is already packed at lunchtime. These may have been mentioned before, but a couple of my favorite places:

Island Burger

Jimbos

Parnells

The Peter Lugers lunch burger

The place near St. Patrick's cathederal (name escapes me)

Billy's

Also Louis Lunch (claims to have made the first burger in the US) in New Haven is terrific

Announcement

Fox News Channel has called to ask me to appear on Your World with Neil Cavuto.  We have not yet set up a time.

GO BURGER CLUB!

You go, girl!

Pretty soon we'll need a new thread just to keep up with your media appearances :biggrin:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

I live (and work in midtown). I am a little disapointed that you guys spread the word on Burger Joint -- it is already packed at lunchtime. These may have been mentioned before, but a couple of my favorite places:

Island Burger

Jimbos

Parnells

Billy's

Also Louis Lunch (claims to have made the first burger in the US) in New Haven is terrific

:hmmm: We have not been to Burger Joint yet. We HAVE been to the Parker Meridian Hotel, and they have no name. If pressed, the people who work there call it the Last Place. You may also call it the burger place or burger bar at the Parker Meridian.

Pfft. Newbie. :wink:

We have not been to Burger Joint yet. We HAVE been to the Parker Meridian Hotel, and they have no name. If pressed, the people who work there call it the Last Place. You may also call it the burger place or burger bar at the Parker Meridian.

Pfft. Newbie. :wink:

According to Zagat 2004, it's "burger joint at Parker Meridian." Yes, that's correct, a small "b" and a small "j."

Elyse --

CONGRATUATIONS!

NOBODY deserves it more than you. What a great idea you had!

And so timely! You need to go into the PR Biz. Perhaps you should send the Cattleman's Association a bill.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We have not been to Burger Joint yet.  We HAVE been to the Parker Meridian Hotel, and they have no name.  If pressed, the people who work there call it the Last Place.  You may also call it the burger place or burger bar at the Parker Meridian.

Pfft.  Newbie. :wink:

According to Zagat 2004, it's "burger joint at Parker Meridian." Yes, that's correct, a small "b" and a small "j."

Look it up in the phone book Joseph. There is only ONE Burger Joint. How amny times exactly is it that you have to hear this information?

elyse ... you are amazing :cool: .

Congratulations to you & Burger Club. Neil Cavuto, whew! What's next??? Wall street is knocking on your door! Don't forget to tell them about your pies, too, which I've only read great reviews about.

Thank you Blue! You know, I don't know him hardly. What should I be prepard for? (Must watch show tomorrow)!

I will try to slip a few words about my pies in. Pao de queijo too. Tragic if I couldn't.

I just registered www.elyseanfoods.com as a domain name. Host comes next?

Island Burger

Jimbos

Parnells

Billy's

Sorry, I should have responded to the rest of this.

I'll bring up the list and you can add your favorites if they're not already there, k?

Now, how many pages back was it?

Elyse --

CONGRATUATIONS!

NOBODY deserves it more than you. What a great idea you had!

And so timely! You need to go into the PR Biz. Perhaps you should send the Cattleman's Association a bill.

:rolleyes:

I'm a little surprised the beef people haven't picked up on this yet, Jaymes. It seems such a natural idea.

Perhaps they could help finance Burger Clubs all over the world.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo