• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

Honestly, I looked up gamine, and got Arabian street urchin, and then online got boyish good looks and the like. :blink: Then I got the feminine side after church. Satisfied now. :smile:

Edited by elyse (log)

Honestly, I looked up gamine, and got Arabian street urchin, and then online got boyish good looks and the like. :blink: Then I got the feminine side after church. Satisfied now. :smile:

Gamine usually refers to the delicate pixie-cut hairstyle, or a delicately featured, youthful woman. Audrey Hepburn kinda thing.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

after reading this thread today 6 of us went for the burger at blue smoke today 3pm. I rated the burger excellent cooked to order just 2 complaints the bottom of the bun was very soggy and they forgot my blue cheese. Thanks for the suggestion.

Elyse looked you up in the metro section...you looked classy- loved the pearls.

My burger came out medium rare instead of the rare that I ordered. The meat was good, but was not juicy and properly greasy. Blue Smoke must use mostly sirloin for their burgers. Can anyone confirm that?

I did an interesting experiment the other day, which I would invite Burger Club at some point to replicate: I had a cheeseburger at Joe Jr's, followed immediately

afterward by Blue 9. These are exactly the same rare genre of griddle-cooked thin burgers, of the classical model, and it's odd that two good versions are made practically next door to each other. Anyway, I enoyed the comparison.

I'm so glad everybody liked Blue Smoke. I couldn't believe that someone said it wasn't juicy enough though!

Where's next? Here's a few thoughts FWIW, and I promise to get there on time and with a foreshpeis.

Ear Inn

Veselka

Big Nick's

Corner Bistro

Wollensky's Grill

Jackson Hole

Cozy Soup n Burger

McHale's

:wub:

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

Yes. But I'm asking everyone in my building to give me their Late Edition Metro Sections, so I hope to have extras.

Why? Do you want the picture for a dart board? (Ho ho ho) :wink:

so where is the photo? didn't see it in the online article.

actually, i was thinking litter box.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Yes.  But I'm asking everyone in my building to give me their Late Edition Metro Sections, so I hope to have extras.

Why? Do you want the picture for a dart board?  (Ho ho ho) :wink:

so where is the photo? didn't see it in the online article.

actually, i was thinking litter box.

It seems the picture is only available on the third page of the Metro section.

I would offer to scan and fax, but my scanner is dead. Maybe someone else can help.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I don't think Judson Grill is in the same league as Blue Smoke. It's not as juicy

(it's 100% sirloin) and nothing really special is done to it. It's an afterthought for Bill Telemann, whereas a lot of care clearly went into the blue smoke burger, and shows. They are actually similar in a lot of ways, but blue smoke is much, much juicier.

Josh

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

I don't think Judson Grill is in the same league as Blue Smoke. It's not as juicy

(it's 100% sirloin) and nothing really special is done to it. It's an afterthought for Bill Telemann, whereas a lot of care clearly went into the blue smoke burger, and shows. They are actually similar in a lot of ways, but blue smoke is much, much juicier.

Josh

I find Judson grill's much tastier, although they tend to overcook them. I saw a couple next to me order welldone burgers and they looked like hockey pucks.

Here are the pictures from Blue Smoke.

i1942.jpg

Out in front of the restaurant

i1943.jpg

Our customized menu

i1944.jpg

Elyse being interviewed by the Times

i1945.jpg

Elyse being photographed

i1946.jpg

Condiments galore

i1947.jpg

Cheese crisps

i1948.jpg

Hush puppies

i1949.jpg

Burger presentation (well, not exactly...I had already started to add the illegal pickles :raz: )

i1950.jpg

My burger (I ordered medium and this is what arrived. I'm pretty sure I got Elyse's burger by mistake, but we didn't realize it in time to switch (I had already contaminated it with the pickles).)

i1951.jpg

Suzanne and her birthday cake

Edited by sherribabee (log)
Sherri A. Jackson

Announcement

Tomorrow morning, WOR AM radio will be interviewing me regarding Burger Club. I would appreciate any ideas that I might get across to them in advance so I don't come off as a complete pratt.

If anyone wants to figure out any statistics, I am open to (sheesh) facts. How many members we have, views per day, bla bla bla. I may not have a chance to say anything, being a fraidy cat, but it's better to be prepared in case I'm a smooth talker. (Must not curse on the radio).

eGullet has already been mentioned as the site where one can find Burger Club.

Umm, that's all I have to say for now. Tell your friends!

Tuesday morning, 1/6, TOMORROW

WOR AM dial 710, I believe

The Morning Show with Ed Walsh

8:10 am - the MORNING

THAT'S all I have to say.

Edited by elyse (log)

[if anyone wants to figure out any statistics, I am open to (sheesh) facts. How many members we have, views per day, bla bla bla. I may not have a chance to say anything, being a fraidy cat, but it's better to be prepared in case I'm a smooth talker. (Must not curse on the radio).

Here's my contribution:

If we had 16 burger-eaters show up at Blue Smoke yesterday (I'm excluding Bond Girl's catfish order), and we estimated that the burgers were about 8 oz. before cooking, that means we consumed 128 ounces, or eight pounds worth of beef on Saturday. Someone check my math, willya?

If we've had five BC meetings with approx. that means we've consumed about 40 pounds of burgers in the past couple of months.

(And that's not including the buns, pickles, tomatoes, etc....)

[if anyone wants to figure out any statistics, I am open to (sheesh) facts.  How many members we have, views per day, bla bla bla.  I may not have a chance to say anything, being a fraidy cat, but it's better to be prepared in case I'm a smooth talker. (Must not curse on the radio).

Here's my contribution:

If we had 16 burger-eaters show up at Blue Smoke yesterday (I'm excluding Bond Girl's catfish order), and we estimated that the burgers were about 8 oz. before cooking, that means we consumed 128 ounces, or eight pounds worth of beef on Saturday. Someone check my math, willya?

If we've had five BC meetings with approx. that means we've consumed about 40 pounds of burgers in the past couple of months.

(And that's not including the buns, pickles, tomatoes, etc....)

Yeah, and those stats will make her seem positively....

gamine!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

When I showed some people the evaluation form - the response was - wow you guys really take this seriously. It might be interesting to talk about that and the different categories on the sheet.

Everyone had a comment about the ruler drawn on the side of the evaluation form - they thought it was awesome.

johnjohn