• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

I think Suzanne actually ordered the crisps and hush puppies. Did they not charge us?

Ahh..there was a "freebies" rumor about this at my end of the table. So I guess the milkshakes were the only freebie? Still, most unexpected and welcome.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Upon reflection, I think I nudged my scores up a bit because the service was attentive and the burgers arrived without much delay -- just as I think I nudged my scores down more than a bit at Landmark because the service sucked so outrageously. Word to any restaurateurs out there:  service does matter.

A Danny Meyer trademark, to be sure...

As for a future trip for BBQ, I'd certainly be game. Although I should note that the desserts at Blue Smoke got some poor reviews. Any suggestions for good after-dinner spots nearby?

Hmm, considering how disappointing otherwise good restaurants' desserts can be, maybe a Dessert Club is in order... :unsure:

Edited by laurenmilan (log)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

I think Dessert Club would be difficult to do well, as would be Dinner Club, Breakfast Club :wink: or any other of the like. Now Apple Pie Club, or Chocolate Club, or Creme Brulee Club would be in the vein of what we're doing here. Do you know what I mean?

Yeah, I ordered the apps. If we didn't get charged for them . . . I wish I'd ordered more. :raz: I wonder what Malawry would have thought of the hush puppies: golf-ball-size spheres of scallion-y dough (a bit on the sweet side), deep-fried to a golden crust (maybe rolled in dry cornmean before frying?) No, actually, they and the cheddar wafers (very different from Elyse's PdeQ) were just enough to keep us occupied while the burgers were being cooked. I mean, you know we all just sat around the table and stared at each other in silence. :wink:

The Blue Smoke people were indeed very, very nice to us. Even before Elyse gave them some of her fabulous gingersnaps. If I can figure out how to use my scanner, I'll post an image of the menu. They gave us a big long table up on the mezzanine, which while HOT, meant we wouldn't scare away any of the other customers. And the burgers were indeed the best so far: great char, good quality meat, excellent bun, even decent slices of tomato and good slices of dill pickles. Just the right size, too. I only wish they hadn't taken the potato salad off the menu for winter. Mmmm, potato salad. And that chocolate cake was pretty good, too. Certainly a big enough wedge for all of us! But nowhere near as good as Elyse's gingersnaps and Sherribabee's chocolate chip-oatmeal cookies.

It was definitely the best birthday party I've ever, ever had. :wub: And having some new people attend was great, too, along with some of the BC regulars and irregulars. (The only no-show was Mr. Cutlets. :angry: Bad Mr. Cutlets.)

But OMG, I hope the Times runs a picture of anything except me :blush: Now THAT was a surprise!

Yes, bad, BAD Mr. Cutlets! He needs a spanking too!

Yeah, I don't want my picture there either. We can but hope!

The bill was definitely too much to not have paid for the apps.

Edited by elyse (log)

I think Dessert Club would be difficult to do well, as would be Dinner Club, Breakfast Club :wink: or any other of the like. Now Apple Pie Club, or Chocolate Club, or Creme Brulee Club would be in the vein of what we're doing here. Do you know what I mean?

LOL too true!

Then again, I've always loved those threads in "Pastry & baking" talking about the problem of desserts in restaurants. (People don't order them because they're too full, the pastries are too expensive, and/or too mediocre, and restauranteurs don't improve their offerings because diners apparently don't care.)

Mmmm, pie...

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Happy Birthday Suzanne!!

fest10.gif

I'm glad it was such a fun birthday.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

They may well have charged us for the apps. They just appeared and I thought they were being nice to the group. I didn't read the check that closely (didn't even count burgers), but merely figured out what multiple of 17 we needed to cover the bill. Our server got a nice tip (and cookies to boot).

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

My catfish was very well executed. It had a nice crunchy crust and was nice and juicey on the inside. The okra stew that went with it was nice as well but could be much spicier. I will definitely go back for the grill shrimp.

The company was terrific. I really enjoyed meeting everyone. Happy B-day suzanne!

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

hmmmpf

"no real expertise in beef"

Just throw me out of the club right now.

Wait till you taste my pie in two weeks - I have less baking expertise.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.