• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

elyse +1

SuzanneF + HWOE

alacarte

Blondie

johnjohn

laurelmilan

Picaman

MHesse

forkAndPen

sherribabee

SobaAddict70

Lurker

Bond Girl

and, we hope, Dave the Cook and some or all of his crew.

as of 1/2, 10:30am

As for the list of places, I'm checking it (twice? hohoho)

And Mr. Cutlets and Joseph B.

Any other forgotten?

Soba, you suck.

Edited by elyse (log)

hah. tomorrow is chest/triceps day. I'll be thinking of those burgers while my body's screaming at me for mercy.

Have to add that if you go to Veselka's, ask for the sweet potato fries as a side to their burgers. They're a tad underwhelming at times, but otherwise plentiful (as in a MOUNTAIN) and good.

Soba

hah. tomorrow is chest/triceps day. I'll be thinking of those burgers while my body's screaming at me for mercy.

Your body will be screaming at you for a burger. You are doing your body a great injustice by not coming. Can you change the time?

Can't. Have another engagement immediately afterwards, which if I change at this juncture, would involve coordinating among a large number of people, some of whom don't check their e-mail as often as I would like.

S'ok, not the end of the world. There's always Rib Club. :blink:

Soba

elyse +1

SuzanneF + HWOE

alacarte

Blondie

johnjohn

laurelmilan

Picaman

MHesse

forkAndPen

sherribabee

NOT SobaAddict70 :sad:

Lurker

Bond Girl

Mr. Cutlets

JosephB, both of whom I could have sworn I added the other night.

and, we hope, Dave the Cook and some or all of his crew.

as of 1/2, 7:50pm

Oh boy - I wish I could be there.

Ain't you guys running out of burgers though? In NY - surely good will and burgers jes gotta be a finite quantity?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Hey where are we all going and when do we meet?

Blue Smoke

116 East 27th Street in Manhattan

between Park Avenue South and Lexington

1:00 pm January 3 (that's today)

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Birthday girl Suzanne and 16 others enjoyed a good afternoon meeting of Burger Club at Blue Smoke.

We got menus with "Welcome eGullet Burger Club!" printed on them. We all enjoyed the burgers (BondGirl had catfish) and they probably will earn the club's highest score to date. We got freebies of cheddar wafers and hush puppies and mini milk-shakes. A reporter and photographer from the Times were there to interview and photograph us - check tomorrow's Metro section.

Getting all the burgers out with the proper degree of doneness continues to be a challenge, with both over and undercooked orders.

Nice people work at Blue Smoke.

Now I must go back and have barbecue.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Summary of evaluations for the Blue Smoke Burger

As MHesse predicted, this was our highest ranking burger to date, with a total composite score of 79.6, edging the Parker Meridien burger which had a 78.0. Categories with particularly outstanding average scores included meat quality, freshness, and molding. The bun got high average scores as well.

Scorers commented on the "great crispy bacon," the "terrific crispy shoestring fries," the "very attractive overall appearance," the "fancy toothpick thingie," the "good music playing," along with several mentions of the yummy freebies.

For reference, here are links to the previous summaries:

Summary of evaluations for Molly's

Summary of evaluations for Tavern on Jane

Summary of evaluations for the Parker Meridien

Summary of evaluations for the Landmark Tavern

:smile:

And here's a link to the updated evaluation form

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

And on the personal side, I, as always, had a terrific time and greatly enjoyed both the burger and the company.

I thought the meat quality and the presentation were the best yet. I also liked the bun quite a bit--nice and toasty fresh. My only very small complaints were that I thought it could have been a bit saltier and a bit juicier, neither of which detracted substantially from my overall enjoyment of the burger.

And I agree with MHesse--the Blue Smoke people were absolutely awesome, start to finish. All the small thoughtful touches (freebie hush puppies, cheese crackers and milkshakes, custom menus, "Happy Birthday Suzanne" written in chocolate on the birthday cake plate, attentive service, etc.) added up to a very memorable experience. I'll be back there soon and often.

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

A reporter and photographer from the Times were there to interview and photograph us - check tomorrow's Metro section.

How did this come about? Did someone at the Times read about BC on the board or did Blue Smoke inform them.

So much for the first rule of Burger Club. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I think Suzanne actually ordered the crisps and hush puppies. Did they not charge us?

I certainly wish I had know that the reporters were coming beforehand. But I think all went well. I do apologize for ignoring everyone for a good long while.

Blue Smoke is definitely my favorite at this point, and I really needed it after the Landmark travesty.

I wanted to thank everyone in Burger Club for giving me such a warm welcome and showing me such a great time! I had a blast, and look forward to the next New York burger venture... :cool:

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

I wanted to thank everyone in Burger Club for giving me such a warm welcome and showing me such a great time! I had a blast, and look forward to the next New York burger venture... :cool:

Great to meet you Lauren ( btw cool avatar pic)

As usual I had a great time hanging with all of you. Truth be told that was the best burger i have had in awhile - go Blue Smoke!

So when are we going to set up a BBQ Ribs trip to Blue Smoke? :biggrin:

I thought the first rule is that everyone has to order a hamburger. Bond Girl had fish. Bad Bond Girl. :raz:

Yes, we gave Bond Girl a spanking. I actually don't think I knew that she doesn't eat mammal flesh. If I knew.... It's what makes my job so hard. :sad: But I am glad she came.

Lauren, johnjohn, Donna, and my +1 (who I hope posts soon!), thanks y'all! Really glad you could make it.

Blue Smoke's burgers were quite good -- I think we still have room to find a better burger somewhere in NYC, but it's going to be tough competition at this point.

Upon reflection, I think I nudged my scores up a bit because the service was attentive and the burgers arrived without much delay -- just as I think I nudged my scores down more than a bit at Landmark because the service sucked so outrageously. Word to any restaurateurs out there: service does matter.

Company matters too. Great crowd out at Blue Smoke today, I much enjoyed catching up with everyone. :smile: Happy Birthday Suzanne!

So....where are we going next?